“Comfortable Setting for Good Food”

Hot Basil Thai Cafe
Ranked #52 of 201 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2017

The evening I was there with a few friends was nice - not many other people to have to talk over or hold up our order. There was only one waitress - I don't know how she could've handled it by herself if it had been a busy night. The food is good - tasty and filling. The portions are large. The setting is comfortable. All-in-all it was an enjoyable night out.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

2 birthday girls wanted to go here, not the grandparents choice, but we agreed. The appetizer, (rangoon, wings, and even calamari were terrific. I should have stopped there! I had the beef basil thai fried rice and grandpa had the chicken. The kids and grandkids ordered their favorites and wither ate it ll or took leftovers home ( including mine!). Mostly rice, little meat, and not hot even ordered medium. I asked for a side of the wing sauce which was very testy (also $2.95 for a saucer!) to spice up the rice.
very crowded, you should make a reservation.

1  Thank 155beckyv
Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

Always amazing. Lucky to have this as my local Thai restaurant. The 'Hot Basil Stir Fry' is one of my favorite menu items. And a great staff just tops it off.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

I love this place. The food is excellent, the portions are very good - as is the service. Have never had a bad meal here. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 13 February 2016

The food was marginal - seasoned enough but the portions were so small, it was not worth the $$$. For instance, the Shrimp and Salmon Stir Fry was $20 and the amount of salmon was about 2-3 ounces and approximately 5 medium sized shrimp. The portions did not even fill up the take out container.

We also had Drunken Noodles with Chicken and Green Curry with Beef - the meat (chicken and/or beef) in both cases was so dry - almost as if it had been previously cooked and warmed up with the minuscule amount of noodles and vegetables accompanying both dishes.

Appetizers we had were Vegetable Spring Rolls (crispy spring rolls with vegetables, glass noodles) as well as the Shu Mai Dumplings (steamed dumplings with chicken, ginger, sesame oil / chili soy sauce). Both were awful - the Shu Mai Dumpling filling was dry and tasted like it was on a warming stove for several hours.

For a total of over $72 we were very disappointed in the quality and quantity of food. We will not be back for sure!!!

1  Thank Travel33871