“Glacial service, indifferent food.”

Fernwood Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 183 Restaurants in West Hartford
Reviewed 26 March 2016 via mobile

We have dined there twice, both times with a group of friends, otherwise there would not have been a second time. The food wasn't bad, just indifferent. The bread, on our first visit, was delicious, from a local bakery...but when we asked if it could be warmed, we were told they couldn't warm bread. The service on both occasions was unfriendly and glacially slow...the only smiles arriving with the check...which, we were told, could not be split into groups, only paid...Cash Only...as one check. The second time, the delicious bread was no longer served, cold or otherwise. The dark, dismal 70's atmosphere did not help, but would have been forgiven if there was something redeeming about the food or service.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

Went there for a late lunch. I planned to just grab a burger (which I did in a way) and my wife was thinking of a basic salad. In addition to good variety of lunches, etc. on the regular menu, there was a wide variety of lunch specials. We each had a special.

I chose a burger, but it wasn't a run of the mill burger - the special was a BBQ bacon burger with cheddar and onion ring on top. The beef was fresh and well cooked to an excellent medium. The patty was was juicy and had a good flavor, The onion rings were also nicely done (neither a lot of batter nor over-fried) and they did not skimp on the bacon - 2 slices of thick cut. It came with fries with a choice of other sides available as substitutes.

Instead of just a salad, my wife had the quiche special - a large slice of spinach filled quiche. She said it was well prepared and one of the best tasting quiches she's eaten. That came with a choice of sides that included not only the basics - fries, potato salad, etc. - but also fruit, which is what she had.

The service was also very good. There were no other customers when we entered, so we were seated very promptly. The only server on duty (who was also the bartender) was very pleasant and hospitable. He didn't rush us to order, and after noting that we hadn't eaten there before, offered to explain some of the specials to us. The food was prepared the order and came rather quickly. Even though the bar started to fill while we were eating, our server made sure to check up on us and give us the check promptly when he saw that we were finished.

One note - the dinner menu looked pretty interesting too, so we plan to try the Fernwood again for dinner soon, Prices were very reasonable,

Reviewed 9 September 2015

Old School Family Restaurant. Good place to take grandparents to. Not overly big portions, reasonable prices, appropriate music. Good prices on beer and wine. The place is old, and very dark. I have grown fond of their atmosphere, because it hasn't changed. I like the sandwiches more than the entrees, although I did have some seafood manicotti that was very good, and the salmon was good too.

Reviewed 6 August 2015

There were 8 of us an will say the food was good no one had a bad thing to say the meatloaf was good the sandwiches were excellent , Meg the waitress was great ,

Reviewed 28 July 2015

The waitress was very friendly and took her time to explain the history of Fernwood. The service was top-notch and quality of food was excellent. I would return here with my next visit.