“The Fernwood is (flashback-y) fun”

Fernwood Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 186 Restaurants in West Hartford
Reviewed 20 July 2017

My review can't be completely subjective since I grew several blocks from the Fernwood many years ago, and the tavern seems, incredibly, frozen in time. My dinner was nostalgic for this reason and because it was had with dear elderly distant family who also both grew up in Elmwood and have continued to travel from Simsbury and eat at the Fernwood over the decades. Anyway, my salmon dinner was very good, and my husband enjoyed his Reuben sandwich. This is mid-century mid-America no frills fare...and feel. And not a bad deal. Ambience is relaxing -- low-key homey woody reprieve. Think the total for four dinners and drinks was about $80. (Several months ago.)

Reviewed 14 June 2017

I've eaten at the Fernwood a couple of times. It is an old school restaurant, with an old school menu. Nothing fancy here. Service is dependent on the number of tables filled and can be spotty. I wish I could be more positive about this joint but I really can't. It is a good place to get an average meal. Two steps above fast food, one step above cooking for yourself. So, if your lazy eat here!

Reviewed 3 February 2017

We frequently choose to take out of town guests here and have never been disappointed. Service not spectacular but tends to be busy there.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

Have eaten at this cozy old style restaurant many times and the food and service are always good.
Great selection of beers and wines and food all at very reasonable prices. The fresh battered fried shrimp appetizer is the best around and the fried fisherman platter rivals any shoreline restaurant.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

When the family is in town we usually go there for at least a meal or two. The food is always good and reasonably priced. The service is also good.