“Too uneven for what you would expect”

Henlopen City Oyster House
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2018

I originally was going to give this restaurant an average rating because it offers creative and good food and can't deliver it consistently. Therefore, the rating must be lower. While the service is great, it is the kitchen that needs attention. Some entrees were done right and some just did not work out. Henlopen just does not distinguish itself from other higher end choices in the area. Calamari was overcooked, tough and heavily breaded. A couple of the fish entrees were good and couple also tough. They go to a lot of trouble to make their fries special and then the kitchen overfries them into sticks. True on all orders. The lobster roll is not Maine lobster. It may be warm water tasteless lobster with an overpowering sauce. The dining room is quite noisy and the bar area is even noisier. Wines are 3 times retail. Pricey.
So, it was a disappointing experience and not worth , nor living up to what others had said in reviews and expectations, given the prices.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

One of my favorites in Downtown Rehoboth. It opens every day. Good Happy Hour, lunch and dinner. Love their raw bar as well. Their beet salad with scallops is awesome, and my friend's sakad with oysters was amazing too.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

Henlopen City Oyster House, conveniently located about 2 minutes from the Avenue Inn. Steamed Clams, Seafood Chowder (red based), flash fried Clam strips and Fish & Chips. All fresh and tasty at a moderate price. I wish that I had one of these back home. Went twice, Saturday and Tuesday.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

We ate dinner here last night. Expected good food, and got better than we expected. Our salads were beautifully presented. The dressing was flavorful, not overwhelming, allowing the taste of the food to come thru. The mussels were the best we have ever had!! They were larger than we have had (and we have had them from most restaurants in the area), and were all tender. I had the red snapper. Very juicy and flaky, excellent. I had a side of collard greens. They made me feel like I was back in the Carolinas at those real southern cooking restaurants.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Four of us had dinner and the winner meal was the fried oyster platter. Only complaint was the fries as a side were way too salty. Wahoo was very good too and they were accommodating and added a side not on the side menu. The day boat scallops were excellent but the sweet potatoes just didn’t go well. I would ask for a different side next time but loved the Brussels sprouts.
It wasn’t full and yet it was very noisy. One improvement would be to have espresso, a nice finish to a good meal. It was disappointing that they don’t have it.