Lock in the lowest price from these sites
ZenHotels.com
Traveluro
StayForLong
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 June 2019

Avoid this motel! The location is great but the motel is super run down and filthy! When we first got to level 3, where our room was, the smell of some chemical was overwhelming. The smell in our room was even worse! It was so strong it was hard to breathe. I suffer from headaches and a smell like this would eventually make me sick.
It smelled like eucalyptus/chemical bug spray to me. I ask the front desk for another room and I checked the other room and it had the same smell. There was black mold in the ceiling of our room. The ceiling was dripping in a few spots. We had roaches in the bathroom at night. I did check for bed bugs around mattresses and luckily didn't see even evidence of them. It was one of those places that you wore shoes to get to the bathroom, if a pillow landed on the floor it was forever tainted and had to stay there. The halls and carpets were dark and dirty. The elevator takes a very long time and so we opted to take the stairs and they were so covered in bird poop it was hard to find a clean spot to step. There was a creepy man that I believe is an employee (I read other reviews complaining about the smoking guy holding open the door) that stood holding the front door open who was vaping and the smoke was blowing indoors. I watched him for a bit hoping he'd be considerate and stop smoking considering I was with 2 toddlers but he didn't so eventually I had to ask him to move so that our children could pass through. I will not stay at this roach motel again. I would rather spend my $200 a night someplace else next time and not have to worry about bringing some critters home with me.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Voyage313959
Reviewed 11 May 2019

A very basic place. Super location - near the gay clubs, restaurants and shops. Everything is within walking distance .The rooms are dated but kept very clean. There is excellent, underground, off street parking. The halls need some attention. Best rooms("preferred view") are on the East side facing the ocean-top floor. Small but nice private balconies with two chairs. The rooms, which are bright, open onto the balcony with sliding glass doors.. There are refrigerators in the rooms but no coffee makers. I take coffee and a coffee maker with me. The staff are very pleasant. A very good value for those seeking clean, basic-no frills- beach accommodations.

The hotel provides carts to transfer luggage from the parking area below to and from the rooms. The rooms are accessible via stairs and an elevator; without going through the small lobby. The halls are interior but open air. The common areas are somewhat run down and do need attention. This vintage three story, masonry, Miami-like, deco style building is operated only in season. There are no meeting or food service facilities.

Room tip: Perferred view East-top floor away from street noise.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2018

I went to this motel for the Sea Witch Festival I go to Rehoboth Beach at least once a month.
I was ok with the room when I first got there because I had a view of the ocean.
When I woke up at 3:00Am I found that the carpet was wet in front of the TV and in front of the sliding glass door. I was a little concerned but went back to bed. When I got back up ay 6:00 the carpet was so wet that the water was come up between my toes.
I waited until 7:00 to go down to complain about the wet carpet. The person at the front desk was nice enough and we went in hunt of a dry room. The first room carpet was damp. The person at the desk called the manger and explained the situation and the manger told the person at the desk to show me two more rooms and to return my payment. I finally agreed to one of the rooms but the carpet was still damp.
I would have left but there was a bad storm raging out side.
Also when we got into the elevator the elevator jerked when we started it. But instead of going up the elevator went down. So instead of riding in the elevator and getting stuck I walked up the 3 flights of stairs instead of taking a chance of getting stuck in the elevator.

In the morning when I went down I was told that the manager was going to use a wet vac and get up the water in all the rooms that were affected. I was also told that the manager stated that the carpet in my first room was not that wet. Hell the carpet should not be wet at all. I also found out that the management is aware of the issue with the carpet getting wet but have not fixed the problem.

To make a long story short the refund was never given to me. I was told that because there were other people what had the same problem with wet carpet and that I was given another room that I would not be getting a refund.
I was not looking for a refund but a room that did not have a wet carpet. But the manager said that I should get a refund because I was inconvenienced and then changed this mind.

So save yourself a lot of trouble and find I motel worth the money. I would not stay at the Sandcastle Motel EVER again.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Gail R
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I give it a 2 star only because they have pleasant people working there.

We stayed here 23 years ago. Then I would have given it a 4 star over all. It has exactly the same items and Decor.

It is in GREAT need of an up date. The pillows are worn and flat. The mattresses are old and hard. There was cobwebs in the parking garage by the elevator and vending machines . Sheets and towels are very worn.

The room was “clean” but there is only so much a maid can do when the caulking around the tub is darkened. When there is no drain in the bathroom sink. Or the shower curtain is missing a hook or two.

As for the employees I give a 5 star. Very pleasant people. But dear Sand Castle motel it’s time to give yourself a major face lift

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank KarenDillr
Reviewed 28 September 2018

Pros:
• Friendly staff
• Easy check-in/check-out
• Let us stay parked in their lot past checkout time (this was in September, during the off-season; probably not as easy for them to do this when the hotel is at full occupancy during the summer months)
• Convenient location just off Rehoboth Ave., two blocks from boardwalk and very close to a myriad of shops and restaurants
• Everything in the room worked: all lights, wall outlets, mini-fridge, wet bar sink, hair dryer
• Good water pressure in shower
• Housekeeping staff kept room clean and left us plenty of toiletries
• Indoor pool on top floor
• Covered parking under the hotel
• Price—for our travel dates, this was the best price we found this close to the beach

Cons:
• Room wasn’t the cleanest—main traffic areas were dirt-free, but found a good bit of debris under edges of bed and less-trafficked areas
• Drop ceiling in bathroom had some stains and some of the ceiling tiles didn’t fit properly
• Mentioned they had an indoor pool as a plus, but there was a scum of dirt around the top lip of the pool
• Stairwells are dark and stained
• Parking lot is cramped and could be a tight squeeze for a larger vehicle

It’s obviously an old hotel and could use an overhaul. Would we stay there again? Possibly. There don’t seem to be any inexpensive hotels in Rehoboth anymore, and since our stay, my wife and I have been debating whether we’d consider staying here again. We’d like a slightly more modern hotel that was a bit cleaner, but yet every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful, and unless you’re staying right on the boardwalk, the location is hard to beat.

Date of stay: September 2018