“Left Much to be Desired”
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 June 2008

My husband and I took my 4 year old son and my 79 year old mother in May of this year. When I arrived I was impressed with the look of the lobby - that was soon replaced with disappointment when we reached the room. The sliders that led to the balcony had no lock on it so my 4 year could have gotten up and out in the middle of the night. The room was not clean. The sofa cushions were ripped. Clearly, only the areas that were walked on regularly were vacuumed. The carpets under the beds still had crackers from previous tenants and were covered in dust. We requested another room, which was granted immediately, only to find that the lower cabinets in the kitchen were rotten, wood crumbling on the floor. The TV in the living room was missing the remote and had no power button so you could not turn it on without the remote. The dresser in the bedroom had paint chipping off of it, real great with a little one around. The bathroom, all though picked up, was not clean. The floors were still dirty. They left all of 4 towels in the bathroom which you were expected to wash yourself. When you run out of soap you are expected to buy it yourself. The washers and dryers in the room are exrtremely small and are easily thrown out of balance. The dryer only worked part of the time. The lamp in the bedroom repeatedly popped lightbulbs. Only 1 of the 3 bulbs in the bathroom worked. For the money we paid for this room we were very disappointed. The kiddie pool which had awesome potential has loose tiles. These tiles had sharp edges and I was picking them up and throwing them out so the kids wouldn't get hurt. Not a good value. This place had so much potential and I could have dealt with most of the set backs but the personnell there didn't seem to care. I would call one extension after the next and no one answered and no one returned voice mail messages. I ended up repeatedly having to walk down to the front desk to get things corrected. For a resort , I felt the service was poor. Not the typical service we get at Wyndham properties. We won't be back.

1  Thank Laura G
Write a ReviewReviews (2,244)

Reviewed 25 May 2008

First, I should say we booked our unit directly through an owner we found online. The unit was EXACTLY as the photos reflected from the rooms to the view. The unit we stayed in was in the South Tower so, except for one or two occasions, the elevator wasn't an issue.

The property is older but was lovely for Daytona. It is located on the part of the beach where driving is prohibited so it felt much safer to sit on the beach with the kids. As is typical for Daytona, the beach is much harder so it's great to walk on but not so great for collecting sand shells (one daughter's favorite early morning activity).

The facility was busy for spring break but it wasn't overrun with the crazy college spring break kids I've seen on other trips. Now, we may just have hit it at the right time.

The pools were nice though in need of a little updating. The lazy river was freezing but some kids still loved playing! Because of the height of the hotel, the shade hits the pools pretty early. This probably isn't an issue later in the summer but it made it pretty cool in the spring.

We tried to book an activity with the activities group but the class was full. I guess the lesson learned is to book the day you arrive if something is interesting.

We are folks who use stairs to exit and I have to say they had not been checked in quite a while. There was a lot of food and beer bottles in the hallways and they were not cleaned up the entire time we stayed.

One hassle was internet service. Our unit was supposed to have it but apparently it didn't work with my wireless. So, to use the facilities, you have to go down to the lobby bar or the computers in the basement. When I was using the computer room int he basement, there were several owners meeting and complaining about the facility. Let's just say, they weren't happy with things. Glad we don't own but we did enjoy our stay!

Finally, we heard others complain about being hounded by the time-share offers. Our unit owner apparently had made it clear that their guests were not to be bothered and we were not. At check-in we were offered to join a tour but no hard sell!

So, all in all, I think the way to go is to book directly through the owner. We had a very relaxing vacation and recommend this facility (through the owner) again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank headingtochina
Reviewed 22 May 2008

A week before going to the Ocean Walk Wyndham, I began reading the reviews on this site and others and got very nervous. But once we got there I was very happy. The place is beautiful, very nice and helpful staff, and the kids LOVED it!. Our room was on the 5th floor looking out over the roof of the Ocean Walk shopping plaza that it is connected to. So needless to say we did not have a balcony BUT the room was huge. 2 bed rooms, the masterbed room had a huge king size bed, whirlpool tub that my kids loved, shower, etc. The guest room had 2 double beds and another normal bathroom with a washer and dryer.
At first I was upset about not having a balcony but in all reality, we were never in the room anyway... so it didn't matter.

I read previous posts about wet carpet from cleaning... there was one wet spot BUT I was just glad that the carpet was clean.

Towels... they do not have room service to clean make beds, vaccume, etc. I thought I only had 2 bath towels for the week, so I requested more. They brought about 6 more up then I found the others in under the bathroom sink. I just washed a small load ever day or 2 of laundry and it was fine. They also rent you beach towels. One nice thing about doing the laundry is that I had NONE to do when I got home :0)

The putt putt on the 4th floor was nice, the game room nice, computer rooms nice, lazy river... awesome, Turtle nest ... awesome, no one without an arm band was allowed up from the beach and that was nice, go cars across the road... awesome, Bubba Gumps next door.. awesome.

To sum it up... I am ready to go back again!

3  Thank jaimehs1976
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We stayed at the Wyndham Ocean Walk 5/10 - 5/17/08. We own time share and traded there. We had a 2 bedroom unit. The unit was great; the hotel is fantastic. Everything you can imagine is within walking distance with the Ocean Walk Village right next door. The hotel is clean, the service was superb, the employees were pleasant and made sure anyone that didn't belong did not get into the facility. The pools and lazy river are great. The children's pool area was the best. The hotel even had a bar area on the main floor with karaoke and added events on different nights of the week. Activities for children and adults alike was fun; example ice cream socials during the afternoon; bingo, etc. Popular restaurants and within miles; a Publix grocery is right up the street; gift shops right across the street. Great, great place; planning on going back again next year.

3  Thank officemanagerOhio
Reviewed 19 May 2008

We were skeptical because we had read some iffy reviews and were very pleasantly suprised! This hotel has been recently renovated and is in great shape. The rooms are huge (we had a 1 bdrm ocean view suite) and it came with a full kitchen and washer and dryer. It was very clean.

We were concerned that they would try to give us a strong sales pitch for the time share program, but they were very low key and left us alone after 1 attempt.

The location could not be better. It is connected to a movie theater and complex with 3 nice sit down restaurants, plus fast food and sandwiches.

The (4) pools are fantastic for kids. The kids pool has a big jungle gym built into the water. The bigger pool has a slide like those at a water park.

This is not a Ritz Carlton, but very nice for the money and great for a traveling family.

4  Thank Danamo