“Blast from the Past”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Worth a stop for a slice of cold key lime pie and a slice of old Florida. I was here a decade ago and not a thing has changed. That's comforting. You can smell the history I the old polished cypress floors and walls. Even on a warm day there seems to be a breeze off the river, and you don't notice the lack of a/c. Check out th old car and gas pump in the back and imagine life there 100 years ago. On this visit we only had some drinks and the aforementioned slice of pie. This might be your best bet since the food is otherwise expensive and fairly basic.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 23 May 2017

This is a must see if your in the Everglades City area. Dates back to a different era yet is still interesting in its own right as well as being on a small waterway so one can watch boats coming and going. Really enjoy my brief visit!

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

Beautiful place to see with lots of history. Food was delicious but service was slow. Prices were outrageous. Refills on tea not free. Cash only. Although food was great and it's beautiful will not return. Good for a one time visit.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

I was born and raised in Florida but in the 14 years I have lived in the Naples area, never bothered taking the hour drive to Everglades City. We decided to go to the Rod and Gun club because of its connection to the history of this area.

It's beautiful inside and has great views. However, that is pretty much where it ends. I could have dealt with the lack of air conditioning and the bugs flying around, but of all the dishes we ordered, only the fried gator was good.

I ordered the steak and "fish". The menu only uses the word "fish" not "grouper" or "snapper". The waitress said all of the "fish" was grouper. She offered a special of "Grouper Roxy", which my wife ordered.

I own a twin engine 28ft offshore boat and have been fishing in Florida for my entire life. I frequently go 40 miles offshore and catch red, gag and black grouper as well as all kinds of other offshore species. The fish they served as grouper was most definitely NOT grouper. I am pretty certain it was not even a saltwater fish. It was not any type of snapper, wahoo, cobia, dorado, grunt, porgy or any other species that is common to these waters.

It was about a half inch thick and mushy. For the length of the filet it should have been much thicker to be grouper. Especially considering it was not a tail portion. Grouper is a thick, firm, flaky and nutty sweet flavored fish. This fish was bland. I only eat fish I catch offshore so I can only guess of what type of freshwater fish it may have been, swai? Talapia?

My wife's dish was the same fish with a piece of cheese on top and some tomato. Yuck. Also, my steak was clearly a low quality cut of top sirloin. You can buy that for 5.99lb in the store. It was very tough to cut. The onion rings, for $12, were clearly frozen thin and not great.

For $32.99 a plate I expected better quality food. The waitress never offered to refill our drinks, not even once and we were her only table. I was going to go lower on the tip but I felt sorry for her.... we were her only table.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Wadewilliams80
Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

Traveling on the Tamiami Trail from Naples we were getting hungry and decided to go to Everglades City and see what we could find.

Found this place and decided to try it. Walking out of the bright sunshine into the darkness of the foyer and lobby and indoor dining room you feel like you passed through a time warp to a long gone era.

The lunch area was on a screened in veranda on the water. Nice atmosphere.

The place is a bit pricey and is cash or check ONLY. So bring cash.

The staff were cordial and the food was excellent. I would recommend this place and would come back again

Date of visit: April 2017