US$66
US$60
Best Western Gateway To The Keys(Florida City)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$65
BestWestern.com
Quality Inn Florida City(Florida City)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$90
HIExpress.com
US$64
US$54
Fairway Inn Florida City(Florida City)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 04/08
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$131
US$114
Hotels.com
All reviewstree houselibrary roomdorm roompancake breakfastmake your ownbooked a private roomfull day tourfree pancakesunique atmosphereswimming holemeet interesting peoplecommon areasfire pitafter darknational parkgreat pricehammocks
Reviewed 5 December 2016

I've stayed in a huge number of hostels in my time, and I really can't say enough good things about this one. The amenities are fantastic (swimming pool with waterfall, huge treehouse, lots of very cool outdoor sitting spaces, fire pit / oven, outdoor showers, free breakfasts....), and the staff are super friendly and helpful. When we discovered after our stay that my girlfriend had left her hat in our room they even mailed it back to us free of charge. It's a far, far better choice than all the hotels and motels littering the area. Clean and comfortable beds as well. A real oasis.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Everglades Intl H, General Manager at Everglades International Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2017

We are glad you enjoyed your stay! There are a lot of cool quirks to discover while staying at this place! Thanks for being a part of what makes it so special! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 October 2016

As someone who has traveled quite a bit and stayed at many hostels all over the world, this one was truly a disappointment. I had heard of Everglades International Hostel through a fellow traveler a few years back and always wanted to stay there, so as my boyfriend and I were driving through Southern Florida this past week we knew it would be the perfect opportunity. First let me tell you about the experience (with none of the bad parts yet) upon arriving. We arrived at the hostel at night, in what seemed to be not a great area. There were kids on bikes outside drinking and swearing at people walking by. This however is not even remotely the fault of the hostel, and we clearly knew that, so we hustled in and away from that group. When you walk in at night it isn't very easy to see all of the cool things about the hostel that everyone raves about. (Again that is obviously our fault for arriving late, not the fault of the hostel). I do wish I could have seen all of the garden features that made the hostel so appealing to the other travelers. We got in and saw our key on the front desk with a map to our room, a private room on the second floor.

Here is where the experience gets a little worse. First of all what I neglected to mention before, the front door to the hostel and the gate to the back garden were both propped open when we arrived. There is absolutely no security at this place. We arrived to our room to find bugs all over and a dead lizard at the foot of the bed. We promptly got rid of the lizard, put our things down, and shook it off. There were no employees to be found to speak to. There were, however, signs all over the hostel saying things like "do not flush the toilet paper" and "this broom with a wet rag attached is a mop, please do your part and help mop the floors". After seeing all of this we thought we would just try to get a room at a hotel down the street. We had no intention of being rude (I would not have even written this review) until I picked up the phone at the front desk to speak to the owner.

She was so terribly rude to me. I will never forget it. All I did was (very politely) ask what the refund policy was. To which she responded " sorry, we cannot offer refunds here, you had to click okay to that when you made the booking." Okay, that is perfectly fair. I would have left it at that. Then she asked me why and if there was something wrong with the room. All I said was "well we just don't feel very safe here with the doors to the street all being wide open, and there was a dead lizard in our room among other little things." The only issue we really had was the security, the other things were small enough that we could have overlooked them for the sake of the experience. This is the response I got back from her.

"Well in regards to the lizard, what do you expect?! This is Southern Florida." (Okay sure, that is fine. Even though it was said in a rude tone she did have a point.) "As for the door, WE'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THIS AREA IS FINE. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN A HOSTEL BEFORE?! HOW DO YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO CHECK IN?! AND YOUR DOOR LOCKS SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM"

I am sorry, but yes. I have been in many hostels before. I have been in a crappy hostel in Malaysia where men sat outside ogling women coming in and out and the employees warned of people on motorbikes stealing your purse outside because it happened so often on that street. I have had to remove cockroaches from my room. I have WORKED at a hostel before. There is no reason you should have the front doors to your business open to the public in a questionable area, with absolutely zero staff members there to assist in case of an issue. And most importantly, if a guest feels genuinely worried for their safety, do not belittle them and tell them they are wrong. It is your job to make your guests feel safe. Although I suppose it is also your job to mop and you had us doing that, so I suppose your only job is to make young women feel stupid for being worried about a wide open front door in the middle of the night.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
13  Thank vhoman5086
Everglades Intl H, General Manager at Everglades International Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Hi, I am the new General Manager following up on all points of improvement. Thank you for letting us know how you felt. I am very sorry that your time with us was anything less than awesome. You have a right to feel safe and secure at all times. We are continually working on ways to improve every aspect of security. This is a very safe hostel and we are working hard to keep it that way. We appreciate you taking the time to voice your personal experience and we value every response, especially with your seasoned experience staying and working with hostels. We really hope to have you back again sometime, we have a fresh new enthusiastic staff and want you to enjoy this hostel and area for everything it is.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

Since writing my last review, I've been back many times and it is still a breath of fresh air. I've been coming here to work on my book, which apparently a lot of other writers have done as well - there's something inspiring about the atmosphere. The owner is an expert on the Everglades and they offer a number of tours and she has a lifetime of interesting stories to tell. I love having morning chats with her.

I meet the most interesting people here - last time it was a boat captain, the time before someone who was riding their bike across the country.

Good vibes, great energy. It makes you reflect on what's important in life.

BTW- they also have an electric car part for those of you going green.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank amberenergy84

Hi, thank you for the kind review! We are glad you got to experience the positive energy of this hostel! This hostel has been blessed with the most amazing and interesting people to talk to and have stay! All this energy from around the world really adds to that inspiring atmosphere that saturates the place. Thanks for coming back, and we are looking forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 7 September 2016

It was a very funny and welcoming (friendly) place, the hosts were like the hippies, everything in the frigo was common. The room was small and hot but it was very authentic. I felt like in woodstock. it was very cheap.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ritamakai

Hi, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We now have working air conditioning available in every room. We welcome you back to cool off with us this summer! Thanks for being a part of what makes this place truly authentic!

Reviewed 22 March 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights in a private room (water room) with a shared bath. The room was clean and the bed and linens were nice. We didn't do a lot at the hostel due to being in the keys all day both days but enjoyed the comfy bed and relatively quiet nights. A couple things to note though: the 2 showers I took while there were both freezing cold and you are not supposed to flush toilet paper down the toilets. There is coin operated laundry on site which is also nice.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family