“Not as good as it used to be”

S3 Sun Surf Sand Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
S3 Sun Surf Sand Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 1,439 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: A1A and Viramar St.
Description: S3, where sun, surf and sand uniquely fuse with steak, seafood and sushi for a perfect combination of island atmosphere and globally-influenced, sea-inspired fare. A wood burning grill lights up the place and sets fire to the menu offering Grilled Octopus, Skirt Steak, Jerk Chicken Skewers, Shrimp Toast and more. Let your eyes do the ordering, via an expansive raw bar featuring fresh-caught delights like Tiradito Wahoo and Yellowtail, Snapper or snack plates like a Trio of Dips (whipped feta, chickpea, and roasted eggplants) or Goat Cheese Cakes. A moderately priced menu serves up a variety of small plates. DJ - 8pm-12am Friday and Saturday Acoustic Duo Sunday 3pm-6pm
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We used to come here all the time and loved it, but that's not the case so much anymore. The restaurant is beautiful and on the beach - great location. We always love getting a variety of "small plates" but it's been hit or miss lately. The bar has a nice vibe usually too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I was skeptical to reserve a table at a restaurant in a big chain hotel. How good can it be? Well, I was wrong. Not only does virtually every table have a water view, the food is outstanding. We had bunches of small plates... steak, unagi (eel), shrimp, kale salad, grilled peppers, edamame and more. I have to say that the grilled peppers were incredible, and not the first thing most people think of. The goat cheese croquettes were also terrific, if you like fried food. The grilled cesar salad was the only so-so dish. I recommend this place for food and view!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

This almost seems to be a recurring theme in Florida. The entire trip we never had service worthy of an excellent rating throughout St Petersburg, Siesta Key, or Ft Lauderdale. What's up with that Florida?! Anyway...about S3. The location is perfect! The outdoor seating is amazing with gas fireplaces on the outdoor deck. They bring little tray tables so you can eat there as well. The ambience is perfect. Enjoyed a fireside bottle of wine with my love. Lots of people watching and that's always entertaining! Service was pretty friendly and attentive, but slow. Our server had no idea how to serve a bottle of wine. She also poured half the bottle into my glass and gave my love a "splash" in his glass - awkward. The food was amazing. We shared the tempura cauliflower with sriracha aioli and the seasoned edamame. Both were excellent. He had the short ribs and is still raving about them - says they were the best he's ever had. I ordered a salad and added chicken. The salad was really great ... the chicken was a pile of cold unseasoned white meat in a blob on the side of my plate - totally unappetizing and not at all what I expected. Still, the wine, people-watching, views of ocean, and other food made up for it. Great experience. Would visit again.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

3rd time at this restaurant and its the first time we have a horrible experience. We waited for our table for over 40 mins because we didnt had a reservation. I dont mind that, I understand we had to wait since we didnt had a reservation.

I ordered a hot green tea and they gave a jasmin green tea infusion that didnt taste anything like green tea. It tasted like regular jasmine tea. Then we ordered two entrees. We thought that they already placed the order, and when we ask how much long for the dishes, they said that they didnt have any food orders from us. Two hours later and still no food!!!! Once they did place our order, we had to wait another 40 mins.

When the gulf shrimp and short rib finally arrived, they both were extremely salty. We didnt complain because we were starving and didnt want to wait another hour for our food.

Also, we ordered dessert along with the entrees so we wouldnt have to wait another hour for just the dessert. We finished our meals, and still had to wait another half an hour for just the dessert.

I will never come back again. Worst service ever!!!! This time the food wasnt that great like the two previous times. I think they have lowered their standard regarding food and service. Wont recommend this place to anyone!!!!!

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

This is a wonderful if slightly pricey venue. The location, down by the sea is great. Staff are efficient, slick and slightly lacking in warmth but polite all the same. Stand out dishes for us were the grilled octopus with giant beans (so tender and delicious) and the grilled shrimp with risotto cake. One minor downside is the lighting when you’re sat outside. You’re bathed in a sodium-orange light, akin to street lighting in the UK, that renders everything the same dark hue. The beautiful colours are wasted as only the shape of the food can be seen which is such a shame. If the same thought had gone into the lighting outside as the rest of the restaurant then the technique clearly on show in the kitchen would be displayed to its fullest effect. Turn off the orange lights you can’t see the food.