“Tradition”

Ranked #33 of 934 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Walking through the front doors, guests are greeted by the in-house seafood market, where the Prawnbroker showcases their specially chosen fresh fillets of fish and beef, hand-cut on premise, that are sure to tempt the palates of all. To emphasize their commitment to buying local and bringing you the freshest seafood Ft. Myers has to offer, you'll find our hand picked selection straight from the local waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Here you'll get a peek at the sumptuous fare that you'll soon be enjoying from their comfortable yet elegant dining room. Feast your eyes on mouth-watering Snapper, Gulf Shrimp, Softshell Crabs, Mahi Mahi, and the best Grouper Florida has to offer. Small tubs of pale pink creamy shrimp bisque stand in line next to bases for both kinds of chowder - New England style being what the restaurant is most famous for, a nod to the original owners' home region. Diners consistently return to enjoy these favorites plus the greatest Florida Stone crabs (in season) and Maine Lobsters.
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We made our pilgrimage to Prawnbrokers with 8 guests. We were seated just inside the front entrance, not the best spot (due to the constant stream of guests in and out) but the restaurant was full so no chance of moving. We’ve had better tables before in the back and the middle parts of the restaurant. Next time we’ll ask for a quieter location. Food is great, drinks are good. The bouillabaisse must be phenomenal because it was 86’d at 6 PM. Clams casino and oysters Rockefeller started our meal followed by wasabi salmon. I was cautious about the spice level as wasabi can be strong. Not the case as I barely tasted it. We do hate the parking situation as it can feel like a maze if you are stuck in the back lot. It is also a long walk for anyone in your party with mobility issues. Drop them at the front door. Excellent and dependable quality, it’s busy for a reason.

1  Thank Frances S

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I have been going to the Ft. Myers area off and on for the past 25 years and can’t believe this was my first time eating at The Prawnbroker. I enjoyed my experience so much that on the way out I stopped at the Front Desk and had to let them know how much I enjoyed it. It was then that I learned that they have been in the same location for over 30 years. The staff admitted that although they are located on a main street (McGregor Blvd) it is easy to drive by and never notice it because of the way it is situated.

Enough of that, on to the restaurant itself. On the recommendation of a friend who winters in Ft. Myers, I let him pick a restaurant for us to meet him and his wife. He informed me that it would be busy so he made a reservation for us. We met at the restaurant and were a little early. Our table was ready within a few minutes and we began. Being from New England I mostly enjoy only New England fish. Although there are many items on the menu, I almost always order from the menu according to the type of restaurant: Fish@ fish restaurant, Pasta @ Italian place, Steak @ steak house, etc. So much to my delight I saw two New England seafood items on the menu. I figured what the heck, crazy to go all the way to Florida to get New England seafood, but why not. I ordered the “New England Scallops” and was glad I did. They were some of the best if not the best scallops I have ever had. They were sweet and plump and tender. They must have come down on a plane from Boston a few hours before I arrived because they were so fresh.

The rest of my meal was equally as good. I regret that I have forgotten my servers names but they were impeccable. For such a large and busy restaurant, they have mastered both quality of food with top notch speedy service.

I enjoyed my first experience so much that I was now the one recommending it to my sister two nights later when I went to dinner with her. We again made a reservation ( highly recommended) and again everything was excellent. I stayed local (New England local) again and ordered Boston Haddock and it was as equally as good as the scallops two nights earlier. Again the service was excellent as well as the rest of the meal, including drinks and dessert. My wife and friends had a Parmesan encrusted haddock and raved about it.

In conclusion, I highly recommend The Prawnbroker if you are in the Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, North Ft. Myers, Naples area.

2  Thank Jack S
Reviewed 27 March 2018

We were here on a Saturday evening and there were 11 of us. While we had to sit at two tables we were all very impressed with the service and the food. All of us had amazing meals, salads were so fresh and tasty, crab cakes were all crab meat and although a bit small they were delicious. My husband and I had Monkfish which neither of us had ever had but absolutely loved it. Served with drawn butter and the sides we chose made the meal Devine. We got there at 5 and the place was packed. Only down side was we felt a bit rushed but understandable considering it was Saturday and there were lots of people waiting to be seated. Definitely will come here again but maybe in the off season!!!

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Group of six came for early bird dinner. I think it is 4-515 during the week. Have not been to this restaurant in about 6 years! We had a wonderful dinner. Can't say enough about the parmesan crusted haddock. Meal included salad, vegetable and potato.
Really enjoyed our early evening at this restaurant.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

I was looking for a nice restaurant with fresh fish for dinner. The menu has many great choices, but I was interested in the Daily and Chef's Specials. After a starter of half dozen local oysters, which were small and sweet and not very salty, I chose the local Yellowfin Snapper. It was so clean and fresh, not fishy at all, with a light garlic butter sauce. It was so good and accompanied by baby carrots,Sweet Potato with Brown Sugar and butter(incredibly nice). My sister ordered the Swordfish also with a light garlic sauce. Kate,our server, was friendly and knowledgeable about the whole menu. She gave us recommendations for a shrimp bisque and salads that came with our entrees. Thank you Kate! We enjoyed our experience so much that we went back the next night. Our server Haleigh was just as knowledgeable and very energetic! She was on top of everything every step of our dinner. Even though our table was in a different room from where her section was, she never missed a beat the whole night. I had the Grouper Matanzas wth crab meat and a beure blanc sauce, very filling, but so tasty. My sister had the Swordfish again, but this time it was Rockefeller. There was no room for dessert, but Haleigh loved the Key lime Pie! Thanks again Kate and Haleigh, you both made it a great night!

2  Thank davsprt714