All reviewsroom was cleansausage pattiespublic beachwould stay againfree breakfastokaloosa islandgreat place to stayfishing piersmall pooldesk clerkspring breakboardwalkdestinwaltonftrepair
Reviewed 10 May 2015

Came to Okaloosa Island on a lark when I had a few days off. The first hotel I stayed at, in Destin, was kinda yucky, so I looked for another one. This one seemed to have best reviews of the cheaper ones, so I booked a room online.

First off, very, very nice people run this place. It's a weird thing to say about a motel, but as someone who has stayed in a lot of hotels and motels, it was a standout for the niceness of the people. They were really kind and generous, in every interaction I had with them.

Second, no matter what anyone tells you, none of the rooms are really "water views". Both sides of the hotel are basically parking-lot views, except one side is angled such that upper floors can see the water if you lean up against the window in just the right way. But you are very close to the water. You could walk to the Boardwalk, if you really wanted to, but this stretch of "Redneck Riviera" isn't really a walking part of the country. Most people will prefer to take the 2-minute drive, versus trying to walk across 4+ lanes of Panhandle highway.

Third, "nonsmoking room" means a room blasted with odor-eliminator like febreeze or some such, that has no openable windows, and an eye-watering disinfectant smell when you first walk in. When I first opened my room, I thought the overwhelming disinfectant smell was due to the mildew problem (more later), but it was upon checkout that I overheard the front-desk clerk explaining to someone that instead of having truly "smoke free" rooms, they instead had a special spray that made it so that "nobody could tell" there had been smoking in the room. As a former smoker who once blasted rental-cars and such with the same stuff, that's what my "nonsmoking" room meant: a room suffocated with "smoke eliminator" or some such. This would be less of an issue if you could open the windows, but no, all you can do is stay in the room until you get used to the smell.

Back to the mildew, and overall cleanliness. Many porous surfaces were mildew-stained, in a way that is almost inevitable in FLA if you turn off the air-conditioning between guests, especially in rooms with no other ventilation. Looking for an extra outlet to plug in my phone charger, I found old candies and food-wrappers behind the nightstand.

Housekeeping, on the first day I was there, took the tip I left, but failed to change the ice-bin liner, replace the coffee-pods or the water cups, or really do much of anything other than half-make one bed (it literally had sheets hanging out from under the bedspread) and place a new soap, without taking the old one.

This is not the Sheraton. This is a family business run by very nice people, who run their hotel about the same way that my grandma ran her beach-house, except you can't open the windows. It's cheap, it's friendly, it's not especially clean, but it is thoroughly sprayed with disinfectant.

The breakfast bar is quite good, basically a typical continental breakfast spread, plus a warming tray of biscuits and gravy. There are a couple kinds of cereal, yogurt, juice, bagels, pastries, coffee, etc. I didn't try the hot biscuits and gravy, but it's a nice touch to offer at least one hot, calorie-dense, hangover-helping breakfast option.

The pool is basically a wading pool, but an adequate one, with a nearby hot tub, I think (didn't try). It's a small round thing with a view of the highway, and there is no way to swim laps in it. The fitness room is a perfunctory afterthought, crowded with a couple of old cardio machines and free weights.

All in all, a decent place to crash, with a great location, and really nice people running the joint. Their housekeeping is not ideal, but the sheets and surfaces seemed to be sanitary, for the most part. The overwhelming smell of deodorizer was the hardest thing to overlook. Most of my stay I left the door propped open whenever I was in the room, just to try and clear the air.

The room itself was a good size, with solid amenities: mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, 40" HDTV in the room, with HBO and basic cable. There was a decent-sized desk with a power strip and plenty of outlets. Wifi seemed fine, during my stay.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniel J M
ecis1214, Front Desk at Emerald Coast Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. If you encounter any problems while staying at our establishment let us know so we can fix the problem right away. We take our guest concerns very seriously and want all our guests to have a wonderful experience stay at our hotel. We hope you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 21 April 2015

When I was a kid this place was a dump but they have gone in & updated everything where it now looks really nice. The beds are comfortable & the service is very good. For the price you can't beat this place. I will be back

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank cgamb1

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay at the Emerald Coast Inn & Suites. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 31 March 2015

Staff was very friendly. The rooms was a nice size but wifi sucked didn't work at all elevator got stuck and takes forever breakfast very limited. Toilet stayed getting backed up spoke with maintenace no one came to fix it.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Emerald Coast Inn & Suites. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. If you encounter any problems while staying at our establishment let us know so we can fix the problem right away. We take our guest concerns very seriously and want all our guest to have a wonderful experience stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 30 March 2015 via mobile

Awesome breakfast bar! Great view of the beach from across the street. Beds are comfortable shower is awesome! everybody here is been so friendly so far I would highly recommend this establishment for future use!

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank crislane1

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review on your stay at the Emerald Coast Inn & Suites. We are glad to hear you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2015

Desk clerk apathetic, no room service, we had to go get out own fresh towels. Poor air quality, very humid and warm. Exterior areas not clean. Phone in room did no o irk. One elevator, very slow, used exteior steps , this is inconveniet when dealing with luggage. Poor breakfast bar.wifi slow, of no use

Room Tip: Spend more money and be comfortable in another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple