“Haven't been in a LONG time; will be back”

Chili's Grill & Bar
Ranked #208 of 621 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Child-friendly
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Child-friendly
Reviewed 25 January 2016

I don't live near Chili's and I definitely don't think about it as a place to go in Gainesville with all of the delicious local options. So, it's been over 5 years since I've been to this or any other Chili's location. I must admit, when my husband suggested it for dinner, I was less than thrilled. But, he goes to new places with me all the time, so I though it only fair that I return the favor for his retro "back in college" yearn for some queso.

We were seated quickly at our choice of table or booth and with our preferred televisions facing our table. The hosts were quite accommodating with the seating arrangement, even though the restaurant was busy and we didn't really care where we sat. Service was slow on the uptake, with our server MIA and someone filling in for drinks. But, after about 15 minutes of waiting (lots of menu perusing during this time) she showed up, frazzled looking but apologetic, and took our order. We found out later it was her first solo day of serving, but she was doing a great job and we were quite pleased with our meal.

The queso - according to my husband - tastes just like it did 15 years ago in college. I had never had it, but loved the thin tortilla chips and the beefy queso. A great appetizer, albeit quite filling. I opted for the smothered chicken burrito and he had a quesadilla, and both arrived quickly after ordering and were excellent.

I can't say that eating here changed my life, but the next time someone suggests Chili's, I will support that plan. It's a chain worth a second link.

Reviewed 16 January 2016 via mobile

Our meal took a long time to come out. The neighboring table got their food way before us and came in after us.
The plate was splattered with juices and was very unappetizing. In fact my husband didn't even finish it.
It was a loud and chaotic atmospheric here so if you like that you'll feel right at home.
We'd been traveling all day and this was not a welcome end to the day.

Reviewed 3 January 2016

We arrived on the late side & not many people in this place. We were seated immediately. Server was ok. Had to ask for refills, had to wait for server to come by.
Food was ok, very basic. Nothing great.
Not a place I will be running back to.

Reviewed 23 August 2015

Normal chilis fair. We were able to get a table quickly. Food was delivered fast and accurately. Close to hotel.

Reviewed 19 August 2015 via mobile

Our food was good, and the location was very clean, however, I must ding a star because of the new ziosk kiosks. I found them to be very annoying, as they are always playing advertisements, and when there not, they are trying to sell you stuff.