“Overpriced Breakfast - Steakhouse for Dinner good but Expesnive”
Review of La Marea

La Marea
Ranked #89 of 140 Restaurants in Key Largo
Reviewed 4 May 2017

Breakfast here is a very dicey affair. When we visited, there was an option to order from the menu or enjoy the buffet. The issue is it is very expensive and the food probably isn’t any better than the Denny’s that is across the street within walking distance. Both mornings we went to breakfast around 9-9:30 only to find the restaurant nearly empty, food still covered with plastic wrap on the buffet, and staffing completely lacking (as in no one to man the omelet station at all). Plus – some of the food on the breakfast buffet clearly was leftovers from the night before. One morning I had an omelet and I asked for mushrooms. The mushrooms one day were fresh sliced. The next – a mixture of vinegary marinated mushrooms clearly leftover from the steakhouse the night before (and gross in an omelet). They are going to have to do much better with breakfast offerings, service and pricing if they don’t want folks to simply skip across the street to Denny’s.

By night the restaurant becomes a steakhouse for dinner. Again – very expensive. But – the food was very, very good. It was also nice to sit outside on the patio with a breeze blowing and be able to be near the pool. The only downside to this is that you are essentially eating a meal where steaks cost $60+ in the middle of the breezeway where everyone is walking back and forth constantly. And the fountains are quite noisy. The servers were very friendly though and I cannot fault them at all during dinner.

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had dined here Thursday for our anniversary dinner.. we always dine all over the keys, but we were especially excited to give this place a try. Having the reputation of being a top notch Marriott signature restaurant, and being the latest resort in Key Largo, we were extremely disappointed. My boyfriend was never told they were out of the Buffalo steak until the server had asked us to order-and then he said they didn't have it.. that was one of the main reasons why we chose here. Why wouldn't the waiter tell us what they were out of with the specials? However, those were never announced either- so who knows. Then when our food came out after about a 45 minute wait, his Ribeye was well done. My filet was a little over cooked but I could deal with it. So I let it sit and waited until my boyfriends steak came back. I should've moved it to a regular plate because I didn't even think about the cast iron plate it came out on. It overcooked my med rare steak to med well in about the 20minutes time for my boyfriend to get his steak back. I was also asked while I was sitting there if there was anything they could get for me while my boyfriends dinner was being re-cooked. Wouldn't that imply that they were getting me something for the inconvenience? So, I was happy that they were going to get me a drink on the house.. but then when the bill came it was on there. We also weren't given a special plate or drink for our anniversary.. Working in fine dining for the past 6 years I can say with confidence that this place is not top notch. Should've stuck to Cheeca Lodge.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

My first time dining at La Marea was Saturday night. Our friends had been there before and were concerned about trying it again after such a poor first experience, but figured maybe they had gotten it together since their last dinner in the fall. There is no question the resort is beautiful but we walked into a completely dark dining room..so much so that you could not see the menu or the plate in front of you. It was a bit ridiculous so we asked for the lights to be turned up which was better. To be clear La Marea is not for the weak of wallet, the prices are quite high. We ordered drinks which came out pretty quickly and we ordered some appetizers. They arrived fairly timely and we ordered our entrees. It took FOREVER to get them unfortunately..we had to flag our waitress a number of times asking when our food would arrive. One meal finally came but the others took another 10 minutes. Our sides did not arrive until we asked where they were, another 10 minutes or so for those as well. The pork chops were brutally overcooked or had been sitting under a warming light for a very long time. My friend actually sent his back and refused a replacement it was so awful. All of the meals were dry and clearly overcooked. We did receive a lovely dessert tray as an apology and I noticed a few others tables also being apologized too. I would think now that they have been open awhile all of these problems would have been sorted out. There are so many great restaurants in the Keys I would skip this one until they fix their many many issues.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

While staying at the Playa Largo we sampled each of the restaurants and this was my favourite. I am a fussy eater (I don't eat meat and only certain fish) but nothing was too much trouble at La Marea. Service was with a smile. We started with THE rum cocktail, my goodness, that is an experience! Moving on swiftly to delicious Lobster Bisque (a rare dish we both agree upon). My other half happily ate his way through an enormous filet steak, while I settled for Mahi Mahi, beautifully prepared and presented. One oversight was that we didn't leave room for desert, next time perhaps. Staff make this a lovely dining experience, well worth a visit even if you aren't staying at the hotel.

Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

We visited Key Largo for a week with the family. We had tried many local restaurants during our stay. We typically like to get out and try the local places. However, last night due to a huge thunder storm, we decided to stay in the hotel and try La Marea. What a pleasant surprise! It turned out to be the best meal all week! We had Cesar Salad, Beet Salad, Swordfish, Mini Sliders, Half chicken with grilled corn and a 1LB baked potato as well as the Salmon Small Plate. All were excellent! I must say that the Salmon was cooked perfectly!Everyone in the family was pleased which is hard to achieve! In addition to the delicious food, the staff and servers were so kind and delightful! They took our family's picture, and I also saw them taking family pictures for another table as well! So nice of them, most servers act too busy to bother with a picture! Our server was Joan, very attentive and went the extra mile to make sure all our needs were met! Also, one reviewer commented that the restaurant was not decorated as they would have expected for a steak house. However, the decor of La Marea is absolutely beautiful and up to the minute in the "sophisticated" beach style! Bleached woods, stunning glass drop chandelier, lovely candle lit fixtures, and sheer curtains around the tables making them feel like sleek Morrocan Beach Cabanas. If you have a chance, walk through the hotel and see how it flows so well with the decor of the entire hotel which is also beautifully designed!!!