“Exceeded all our expectations!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Key West Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Just returned from the Popular House. My husband & I celebrated our 30th Anniv. Aug. 10th. We stayed from the 7 -13th. Upon our arrival to the house we received a very warm welcome from Tippi. She gave us a tour of the kitchen, and common areas including the plunge pool (with cool water) which is a must to sink into after a hot day tooling around town. It was very clean! No limit on the number of white towels to dry off with. They also have a dry sauna, but since it is august, we didn't need to use it.

Our room was larger than we thought, the bed was very comfortable. My husband had recent back surgery, and this bed was more comfortable than ours at home. We had a first floor room across from the front desk. Although you could hear people checking in, it was never annoying to us, and the rooms are generally very quiet and charming.

The bathroom was spotless, everything was cleaned and straightened to perfection daily. Everyone here was friendly, and more than willing to help with any need. No request was left unfulfilled. Never had to call a taxi, that was done at the mere mention of the need. Five 6's was what we used and liked. Although we only used it on one trip, and to the airport. Otherwise, we walked everywhere, and this location was great for that. 3 blocks to Duval, and only a couple to the Pier.

There is no TV, and we found that to be refreshing. There is music on the first floor that is very tasteful and diverse. The common areas are not air conditioned, but your room and kitchen are.

Breakfast was loaded with fresh fruit, bagels, wheat bread, 2 different jams, a daily baked quiche or banana bread, or both, cold cereal, fresh squeezed orange juice (self serve). We never walked away hungry. There are plenty of areas to eat and not be disturbed by others, if your looking for some quiet time together.

Best places to eat that we found and were reasonably priced....Roof Top Cafe on Front St. their Cuban pulled pork sliders are to die for, also my husband had the Portebella and Brie Pannini, big sandwich but he finished it! Great service too. We actually went there 2 times.

El Meson de Pepe in Mallory square had the #1 Mojito's. Great Cuban bread, and we ate here twice as well. Watch the tipping, the gratuity is included on the bill, I believe it was 19%. The live music outdoors changed daily and was always top notch, blues, and salsa for the 2 visits we were there. Great place to dance.

We happened upon a pizza place called Upper Crust at 611 Duval. We each had a large slice of pizza and a beer each for $14.00 total, no tipping necessary.

Be sure to get a slice of Key Lime Pie at the Blond Giraffe, there are 5 locations, so you'll run into one. I think I had a slice each day.

The Green Parrot Bar is a local hang out with great drink prices, compared to any place we visited. Check their schedule for Bingo night. Can't remember what night it was, but the money goes to charity.

Ate at Sloppy Joe's and I had a nauseous stomach the entire next day. My husband did not have the sloppy joe mix added to his food and was fine. By 10:00pm the next day I was feeling much much better, so I'd have to say, avoid the famous sloppy joe. Enjoy a cold beer instead.

Feel free to email us with any questions about our stay at The Popular House. And if you go tell Goo, Jodie's little dog, that I miss him.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whiskerwatcher
Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed 12 August 2010

walking distance to everything : marina,water sports, resturants, bars, tours and shops

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

we have seen a couple of different places along the keys, hotels and b&b's - all at the same price level. this one is by far the cleanest and most beautiful decorated accommodation we stayed in. it is a quiet place with walking distances to the piers and duval street. breakfast was stunning! don't get scared by the shared bathroom...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Frankenreiter
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My husband and I just returned from Key West and already miss the Popular House! Waking up to such delicious breakfasts, amazing comfort in the King Room, beautiful grounds to the house, and the affable hosts - Liz and Tippy, made our stay very relaxing and enjoyable. The Popular house is ideally located, away from all the noise of Duval street, but close walking distance to anywhere you need to go. We look forward to heading back to Key West and wouldn't consider any other place, but the Popular House!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Merhersh
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Stayed at The Popular House in Key West for 3 nights from from 7th June 2010. Found by chance searching on the internet. Was not disappointed. We booked the back room full of character and very comfortable on the third floor. We knew there wasn't a lift (elevator) so make sure you are able to haul your suitcases up there.

Enjoyed the French Doors leading onto the decked private balcony with two chairs and small table.

Complimentary breakfast provided was delightful. A feast of fresh tropical fruit, bagels, bread which can be toasted and various jams (jelly to our US friends). The home baked cakes were also some of the best I have eaten.

Very welcoming staff and a real homely feel to the guest house. My husband's insulin was stored in the kitchen's refrigerator with no problems at all.

I also looked forward to 'tickling' (as I called him) little 'Pommies' tummy every morning as I walked past the desk. He was the owners tiny dog who lay on her desk realxing. He is just like a little teddy bear.

The decked area with the small plunge pool is a complete oasis filled with palms and orchids. It is shaded and this is where you eat your breakfast each morning or have a glass of your own wine.

A really lovely location - do what we did and forget the big hotel chains - we moved on to those further in the holiday.

To the staff of The Popular House - thanks for a lovely 3 days.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple