My wife and I recently stayed at Southern Most on the Beach and we had a wonderful stay! Let me start with the hotel grounds. They are beautiful! the courtyards between the buildings are all very well manicured and maintained, as well as the lawns surrounding the buildings. The fact that the hotel has it's own private beach, and it right next to a small public beach make it a great place to be if you are looking for beach time. If you are a pool person, there are definitely enough pools on the grounds to choose from. If you want a fun lively pool with a pool bar, they have it. If you want a more quiet pool for adults only, they have it, and all are extremely clean and well maintained. Although we spent our entire days out and about on the island, we did take advantage of the hammocks right by the beach at night when we got back to the hotel and really had a relaxing time by the beach with the great breezes.
The hotel is in a great location. It is a convenient walk to the Hemingway House and to a number of restaurants. It is at the opposite end of Duval Street, away from the majority of the bars, so it is in a very quiet part of the island. Granted, it is a bit of a walk to get to Mallory Square or to the pier, but it's not a bad walk at all, and walking Duval Street is a very fun experience, in fact walking all over the island is a great experience. We had thought about renting an electric car or a scooter, but we never did and both of us were glad we didn't because walking the island really gives you a great flavor and adds to the experience of Key West. If you are not into walking, don't worry because therer are plenty of places to rent bikes, carts, scooters, etc, all in very close proximity to the hotel.
The staff at the hotel was superb! They were all very nice and helpful, and all very genuine. We never once felt like they were forced to be nice because of tourism. The folks that work there really do seem to enjoy working there, and it shows in all they do. We were always greeted with a hello, good morning, good afternoon, etc, by every one we came in contact with. I would like to call special attention to the concierge staff, especially Bernice. She was so nice and so helpful in giving us ideas, answering questions and making dinner reservations for us. Definitely check out Hot Tin Roof and Cafe Sole. Both were excellent for dinner, and recommendations from Bernice.
Our room was very spacious and beautiful. We had a partial ocean view, with a great balcony. The room was very clean and the bed was so very comfortable. After spending a full day out and about, it was so nice to come back to the room for a great night sleep.
One of the days we were there, we decided to go to the Southernmost Cafe for Happy Hour. It's right on the beach and it's a great tiki type bar. The happy hour is really good for drinks, although the appetizers on the happy hour menu were just ok. The next time we are there, I would just opt for drinks during happy hour and not get any food. I would definitely recommend it for a fun place to have some drinks and people watch. You will see a lot of different people there and it makes it a fun place to hang out.
I can't comment on the food at the restaurants, other than just the appetizers at happy hour, which I mentioned above. We were up early and went out for breakfast (check out Pepe's, across from A&B Marina. Don't let the looks fool you. The food is great!) and we spent most of the days out around the island, so we didn't partake of any food at Southernmost.
In closing, I would highly recommend Southernmost on the Beach. It's not cheap, but then again the majority of the lodging options in Key West are not cheap, but Southernmost is definitely worth the price! It's a piece of paradise and you will enjoy it very much!
To all the staff at Southernmost on the Beach, we thank you for a wonderful stay! We will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located where Duval street meets the Atlantic Ocean in historic old town, Southernmost Beach Resort stretches over 6 acres across 2 city blocks on the quieter end of Duval Street, away from the hustle of Key West activities, but close enough to the excitement when you want it. The resort offers many on-site amenities such as 3 pools, 4 bars, a private oceanfront beach with tanning pier, access to public South Beach, an oceanfront restaurant, fitness center and petite spa. Southernmost Beach Resort now encompasses the Southernmost on the Beach, Southernmost Hotel and La Mer Hotel and Dewey House all part of the former Southernmost Hotel Collection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Southernmost Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southernmost On The Beach Hotel Key West
- Key West Southernmost Beach
- Southernmost Beach Hotel