Douglas House
Avalon Bed and Breakfast(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$249
  • Pool
Artist House on Fleming(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$161
  • Breakfast included
Key Lime Inn Key West(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$179
  • Breakfast included
Sheraton Suites Key West(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$269
US$210
US$201
Doubletree.com
Eden House(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$289
US$242
  • Pool
The Grand Guesthouse(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$176
NYAH Key West(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$189
  • Breakfast included
Alexander Palms Court(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$220
Orbitz.com
All reviewspalm roomduval streetcuban clubpool areasmall poolsouthernmost pointfull kitchenliving roomquiet endoff street parkingla te dafront porchhemingway houseceiling fanbed and breakfastthe room was nicecoffee maker
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I were camping in Key Largo but it was very hot, bugs were biting so we left two days early to visit Key West. The visitors center 25 miles away from Key West was very helpful of finding us a good price bed and breakfast. We LOVED the Douglas House! After being in the heat for so long..... it was like heaven as soon as we hit the bed in the cool airconditioned room, we were almost out like a light. We had to force ourselves to get up to enjoy the evening activities on Duval street. The room was clean.. the only thing I didnt care for was when you entered the room at first it was overwhelming smell of lysol (at least I know it was well disinfected), the floor was alittle sticky when walking barefoot, and the livingroom tv did not work (not sure why it was there), but the bedroom tv worked fine.. Otherwise, it was spacious, well decorated (home like), and the bathroom was clean The staff were very friendly. I will stay there again. Karen W

Room Tip: Go to the Key West Discount Hotel center about 25 miles out of town on US I to get a decent room rate..
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Lovely group of cottages/rooms. The garden & pool area is just gorgeous. Although there is no breakfast served, there are many great restaurants very close by that offer breakfast. Will book there again on our next trip to the Keys for sure.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I wrote the following to the Douglas House and have not had a response yet:

I wanted to write you an email before I post anything to TripAdvisor or any other websites to give you the opportunity to address the issues that we had with our stay. The property and grounds were nice, classic Key West, older hotel style in a great location. The staff were nice and fairly attentive. The grounds were clean enough especially for Key West and the pool area was really nice. However, we stayed in Room L7 in the Casa De Luces building and that was not a good experience. First of all, no one told us the room next door was under construction, which isn’t a big deal, but during the day it was fairly loud. The bigger deal was that we think the construction may have caused the “scorpion incident” as I would like to refer to it. Friday, July 20th they were working next door which woke us up. Then my husband was getting ready on the left side of the bed by the closet and was bit by a scorpion. He killed it with a shoe. We had the staff come remove it and later a friend staying in another building with expertise in this area asked to see it and thought that it was likely a bark scorpion. We asked what to do and the staff gave us the number of the local urgent care clinic, but we ended up having to go there immediately due to the side effects that my husband was feeling. We were never offered anything as consolation or an option to change rooms. Secondly, we got home that night and there was a roach on the counter. Thirdly, the room was extremely damp. The A/C was running just fine albeit louder than anything that is tolerable and consistently woke us up, but at least it worked. However, the last night (Saturday, July 21st) when it rained we woke up feeling wet in our beds. There seemed to be evidence of previous water damage in the bathroom and ceiling that was repaired, but the room was freshly painted, so we didn’t see anything dripping on us. Fourthly, the majority of the blinds were broken in some place. In fact the front door had an opaque covering where the handle was, which was fine, but the bedroom blind was completely broken and attached with hooks that kept falling or sliding to the side. Fifthly, the duvet did not have a cover, the sheets didn’t seem to fit, the box spring didn’t have a cover at all, the “queen” bed was really a “full” bed, and the bed was horribly lumpy and uncomfortable. The room looks nice at first glance, but appears to have some pest control, maintenance, and moisture problems. We’ve stayed in Key West every year for 8 years now in different places and have never had issues like this. I love places that are local and on the south side of Duval, but at this point I wouldn’t recommend your establishment. I really hope that this information will be helpful to you for your future guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the other buildings. The main building is great, but the others, not so much.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SEKinney
DouglasHouseKW, Manager at Douglas House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Sent 7/26/12 9:22am Dear Stephanie,

We received your email and I am very sorry to hear that you are the first “known” guest of the Douglas House to have been stung by one of our island’s many scorpions. As a native, I have had several harrowing close calls. In fact, it’s beyond me how I haven’t been stung over the years. Normally, a sting from one of our island’s scorpions simply results in a little burning fatigue, but for certain people, the effects are magnified somewhat. In any event, I do apologize for the inconvenience, and while this unfortunate action is out of our control, we would like to offer you two complimentary nights at the Douglas House (excluding special events).

As for the other issues outlined in your email, I do apologize for the construction. We would have gladly moved you to another room/suite, but we were full to capacity. And we have no control over the construction, as each of the units in the La Casa building where you stayed are individually owned. We just manage a few of the units it that building.

Finally, no disrespect intended, however, we do live in the tropics. The humidity in the summer can reach high levels where everything feels damp. We do have insects, and occasionally roaches, ants & scorpions do move around, especially after very heavy rains. Again, these issues are out of our control. We do have an exterminator treat our buildings inside and out monthly.

As for the air conditioner and the mattress in the room, I will investigate this myself and replace the mattress and AC if necessary.

Again, please accept our apologies. Should you wish to write your comments on Trip-Advisor, then so be it. I cannot prevent you from doing so, no more than I can prevent a scorpion from crawling into my own house at night. I do hope, however, you will accept our apologies and the two complimentary nights and come visit us again.

RM
Owner Douglas House

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Located on the nicer quieter part of Duval street. Lovely little garden, genuine and cozy rooms. Douglas, the owner, is a nice, chatty guy.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband and I loved our stay at Douglas. Everyone was so nice and the room was beautiful. The gardens and pool were wonderful. We will definitely stay here again.