“Typical convention center resort.”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #17 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 7 March 2012

While the size of this resort and convention center is impression, most other aspects are just average. Rooms are okay, yet show signs of age for having just been renovated. On that note, they apparently just underwent a $50M renovation however you can't even tell. Not sure where they spent the $50M.

Service here is mediocre at best. My atrium reservation was lost and I ended up with an exterior (parking lot) view. They were unapologetic and rude about it. Ieven had to ask them to refund the difference between the lesser room and the one I prepaid for. I shouldn't have even had to ask.

The on thing I noticed that was new is the new sports bar near the convention center. Other than the massive 2 story tall video screens, this place is a joke. Thousands of people were here for a convention and the service was atrocious. It took sometimes 45-60 minutes to be a drink and sometimes you didn't even get it at all. And again, the staff was unapologetic and rude about it. After 2 hours the restrooms were a disaster area that went unchecked and uncleared for nearly the entire evening. On that note, this is a massive sports bar and the men's room has 1 stall!? There was a constant line for the restroom all night. I literally went back to my room to use the restroom which was on the entire opposite side of the complex and I still got back faster than the ups that were still waiting in line. When we ordered food were immediately told they were OUT of both the entree and appetizers we ordered. How does a restaurant run out of food?

All and all, this place is fine. They could really take it up a few notches when it comes to service however.

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was there for a convention. Everything was perfect. This is a huge hotel with a very nice atrium. However it is a little bit far from Universal. It's closer to Downtown Disney. Very nice pool. Side waterpark was not yet open. It'll be great for family. There is a nice Sportbar with huge screens. They serve food until late at night, which is very convenient.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I had to come to Orlando for a work event at the Gaylord Palms. Having been to the Gaylord National in D.C., I was expecting nothing but a first class experience.

Upon arriving to the Gaylord Palms, I was amazed at the size of this hulking property. It is MASSIVE. It's essentially a self-contained city. The Gaylord National in D.C. could easily fit INSIDE the Gaylord Palms in Orlando!!

Check In:
I arrived about two hours prior to the regularly scheduled check-in time. Fully expecting to have to wait, I walked up to reception, where the lovely Jessica helped me. I explained that I was early and was hoping to be able to check-in. With a smile, Jessica told me that she did have a room for me and would get me checked in. After a few minutes, Jessica told me that she had "upgraded" me to a suite and gave me my key.

The room:
The room was located on the main level just down the hall to the right of the reception area. When I opened the door...wow. What a massive room. I had a living area with a couch and two chairs, a circular table for dining for four, a small mini kitchen, flat screen mounted on the wall, and a separate desk area for business / laptop work. Then and area with two double doors that led to the bedroom with the king sized bed. The bathroom was huge with a door leading to the bedroom and another door leading to the living area. This room would have been perfect for four people. Not 5 minutes in the room, my phone rings and it's Jessica from the front desk checking in on me to ensure everything is satisfactory...now that is SERVICE!

WIFI
There is free WIFI in the rooms. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any hotel that charges for this service should shut its doors and be ashamed of themselves. It should always be the norm that WIFI is included in ANY hotel stay in this day and age. However, WIFI is NOT free down in the conference areas. There is a charge for this and I'm unaware of that charge.

I should basically just list the things this place doesn't have!! There is a huge pool area, several restaurants, to include a sports pub that I've reviewed separately, steak house, seafood restaurant, replica fort, two separate lagoons, one with alligators, one with indigenous fish from Florida, shops, coffee shops, a Sushi restaurant, complimentary coffee, by the reception area, massive conference facilities, you name it.

Conference Area:
We used a small conference area that faced out to the pool area. I will say that there is construction going on in the pool area as a massive water park is being built. It was a bit of distraction at first, but after a while, it was just background noise. I imagine the convention facilities are massive, but I didn't not go.

Summary:
I was very impressed with the Gaylord Palms and would DEFINITELY recommend it to friends, family, and colleagues. It is a self-contained city that definitely caters to the business traveler as well as families with kids. I think they are doing a great job of catering to families where one parent may be attending a conference and the rest of the family comes along and enjoys the property.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the lagoon, ask for a room on a higher floor facing the inside of the hot...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank dolphin80
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We've stayed at just about every Disney property over the past 20 years. But, since 2002, the Gaylord has been our home away from home in Orlando. Whether we are here for a work related confererence, to take the kids to Disney, to celebrate the holidays with family and friends and a trip to ICE, or to take our kids to sports related events in OTown, the staff and amenities make us comfortable and happy. I'm glad they have made major renovations to the rooms. Light and bright now! The new two story sports bar Wrecker 's is one of the nicest family oriented restaurants we've been to in Orlando. It's like, pull up a comfy chair and watch a game with us and we 'll get you a drink and some tasty food! Talk about feeling at home! Old Hickory is one of our family's favorite steak restaurants. It's pricey , but well worth it! Don't forget to put in an advance order for chocolate souffle, it's to die for. The spa is the nicest we've ever been to, as well. This place is a true taste of Florida. You really never have to leave the resort, but I'm sure with all the Orlando attractions you will. For families with small children, I'd advise holding off on booking here until after the spectacular new kids water park is completed. Probably April. It is almost done and it look like it belongs at
Typhoon Lagoon! You will save some money on going to water parks! From the valets to the houseman to the servers, all the staff at the GP are remarkably friendly an warm and strive to make you feel the love!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank LynnGibb
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed here for one night, we had a king suite with a queen pullout. Check in was pleasant and helpful. Our room was very large and had a great view of the indoor sailboat. Our only complaint was the smell of the saltwater wasn't nice. Lots of stuff to see in this massive atrium, including live gators, fish, flowers etc. Valet parking was very quick and efficient. Would stay again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1.7 km away
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
#29 of 341 in Orlando
4.6 km away
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!