“Maybe for a quick lunch”

Argentinian Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #4 of 6 Bakeries in Lake Mary
Reviewed 23 January 2017

So I came here with my girlfriend and her family because we had a Groupon for like $60 worth of food. We get here at Noon on a Saturday afternoon, and the place is literally empty. In fact, in the two hours we were there, we only saw two other tables. It was clear as to why there was a Groupon out and about. Business is not good.

We ordered a ton of stuff, and we split everything like tapas. We asked our server about bakery/dessert items being valid with the Groupon, and he said no. We asked, because the restrictions on the Groupon page were unclear delineating between dessert items and bakery items, and he said we couldn't have any of it, which was kind of a bummer, because instead of getting a meal and dessert, we had to just eat a ton of food.

Anywho, we got the Picada (Variety of cold cuts (5 plates)), a Chicken Caesar Salad (Romaine lettuce, croutons, chicken breast and grated cheese with Caesar dressing), a beef and a chicken empanada, a Spanish Style Tortilla (Five eggs, potatoes, red peppers, onions and pepperoni baked in our grandma's pan), and a chorpian sub with a side of french fries.

The Picada was pretty ok. It had green olives, eggplant of some sort, some little finger sandwiches with ham and more olives, some crostinis, and a plate of salami and some delicious cheese. I'm a little vague in my descriptions because the menu was and I just ate without question. It was a good little shareable item, except I hate olives.

The Chicken Caesar Salad was also ok. The croutons were super hard and kind of burnt, and the dressing was pretty ok.

The beef empanada was very good. The beef was nicely seasoned, and the dough was nice and crispy and chewy and cooked well. The less fatty chicken empanada, however, was a little dry, and I needed help from the very well, obviously housemade chimichurri sauce to get through it.

Now for the reason this place got two stars instead of three. The Spanish Style Tortilla. I was most looking forward to this item when we came to this place, but the entire thing was very, very bland. There was absolute no salt or seasoning of any kind. It tasted like eggs and potatoes and unseasoned veggies. Very unimpressive.

After all this food, we decided to box up the sub and take it home. When we ate it for dinner later that night, the sausage was actually quite nice. It was like chorizo, but more fajita-y, if that's a word. The bread was also nice, and the veggies in the sub were actually seasoned, proving that they had seasoning in the kitchen at all. The only thing was that the bread was comically disproportionate to the meat within. The bread with huge, making the sausage seem like a Vienna sausage, but the taste was there.

At the end of our meal, by the way, the manager of the joint took care of our check for us, and since we somehow didn't order enough food to cover the $60, she offered us something from the dessert menu or the bakery... which the previous guy did not, which ruffled our feathers a little.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend getting the Groupon, because that would buy you too much unimpressive food. Just stop by for the choripan sub and the dulce de leche cream puff we ended up getting. Those items are very, very good

Reviewed 20 November 2016

This restaurant in a strip mall is nicer on the inside than I expected, and bigger. With an expansive dark wood floor, seating area with leather couches and arm chairs, and lots of tables, it's set up to accommodate quite a few people, although when we showed up for a late lunch at 2 pm on a Saturday. The menu isn't large and some of it is quite expensive, but the interior is quite pleasant and clean. My hubby and I ordered a Spanish tortilla which really didn't seem to have any tortilla at all. It's more of a frittata made of five eggs baked in a deep dish with potatoes, sausage, and red pimentos. It was large, filling, and delicious, baked to a light golden color, but had very little sausage or pimento. It was almost all eggs and potatoes. From what I could tell the person in charge (or owner) left while we were there to deliver a take-out order. A young gal took our order and (much later) came out to tell us our meal would be ready soon. A good five minutes later our dish was finally delivered. We tried it and were really pleased with how good it was, but realized we wanted some sort of sauce for it. A few other people had showed up since then so we waited a while for our server to come by. Eventually my hubby just got up and walked over to ask her for some sauce and more lemonade. She brought the drink out shortly but it was luke warm with no ice. We waited for the sauce....and waited....and waited, as our meal got cold. She brought two small plastic dishes of chimichurri eventually and we asked for ice in the drink. The gal was very nice and tried to be helpful but I don't think she had much experience with being a wait person.

We headed to the bakery counter after our meal to choose some goodies to take home. They didn't have a lot of variety but it all looked good. I chose a croissant with sweetened cream cheese filling while my hubby got a raisin and cheese cheese sort of danish. They were basically almost the same thing but with a different shape. At home when I cut into my croissant I could already tell it wasn't what I hoped for. It was very dry, first because it just wasn't made with a lot of rich butter, and second because it was just physically dry, as in old. It tasted like a day-old bakery item. The cream cheese filling was sweet and tasted good but didn't sink into the dry bready part. My hubby's round raisin thing was much better. It had a lot of filling on top and the dough part of his was flakier and not as dry.

Overall, it was a pretty good meal with poor but friendly service. The bakery was one hit and one miss.

Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

A friend recommended this place so we stopped for lunch. The menu was small and no specials for lunch. I had a hard time finding something for lunch because I'm unfamiliar with Argentinian food. I ordered the burger but it was too done for me and waitress never asked how I wanted it cooked. The bun was good and so were the fries. My friend had the ham and cheese on a baguette which she liked. We both had a cookie for dessert but tasted a little freezer burn. The place was nicely decorated. I wish I would of found something more authentic to eat or more pictures on the menu to know what I was ordering.

1  Thank Nancy U
Reviewed 4 April 2016

waitress was very helpful gave us a picture display of all the items on the menu made recomondations for us

Reviewed 20 February 2016

This was a spur of the moment decision, and we hit the nail on the head. Generous portions and well prepared cuisine. Disappointed that my original choice was not available, but we sufficed with a very good spinach empanada and a flavorful beef quiche. Which was followed by an incredible Tres Leche. I must add that we were early and it was a Wednesday. Very nice decor and friendly service.