“Dank Dive. Don't Do It.”
Review of Surfs Inn

Surfs Inn
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My sister and I took her kids to Madeira for a few days. We were thrilled about our upcoming beach stay and excellent hotel price. Our excitement bubble burst rather quickly when we rolled up to the Surf's Inn. From the outside, we thought..it's not so bad. Just a little old. One of those good old fashioned Florida beach motels. Wrong observation. How can I put this nicely? Hmmm..I can't. The place was a dirt hole.

The 'large' studio was crammed with over-sized, uncomfortable, shabby furniture. The air from the A/C unit smelled like vinegar, which only enhanced the stale, eternal smoke smell permeating from the walls. The floors were so filthy that our feet turned black within minutes. The bathtub was full of mold. The sink had old crusty toothpaste in it. The bathroom door lock was loose, so we accidentally locked ourselves out. And as dumb luck would have it, Mr. Maintenance punched out 10 minutes prior to the incident, so we jimmied the lock with a bobby pin, and taped it together so it wouldn't happen again.

The pool was also very interesting. Seemed like most of our neighbors enjoyed staring at the pool for hours at a time while chain smoking. I couldn't blame them for not wanting to wallow in hot, salty, moldy water.

The ONLY saving grace of this dank dive was its close proximity to the ocean.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra money for a clean hotel with some decent amenities. I'm not a snob, and I don't mind staying in older, more affordable hotels, but I do expect them to be clean and well maintained. This place is disgusting.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 June 2009

Myself and my teenage daughter are just (literally) back form Surf's Inn and we totally enjoyed ourselves! The rooms are small but clean. They could use updating, but they are clean! We stayed in 106. We did have an issue where we were locked out of our room (the lock was broken) but it was fixed immediately so we were very happy. The service (maid, front desk, maintenance (lock) was great! The pool was VERY nice as were the many chairs and loungers. You just can't beat the view! I usually stay in 4 or 5 star resorts or condos and found the Surf's Inn VERY satisfactory! I would like to say that John's Pass is more than a short walk away as is most everything else with the exception of a small store across the street. I found my bed to be comfy. 1 car parking is allowed per room as the spaces are small but we rented a small car so that was fine. Overall, I was VERY pleased with our stay. I would love to come back and stay again and I will!!!
I missed having my laptop. I hope Surf's Inn does obtain WiFi !!

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank Momof3Albany
Reviewed 3 June 2009

old florida motel-ish but quite sufficient for a beach stay. fab pool area with lots of tables, loungers, and two grills (better if they were gas). nice beach , beautiful sunsets. NO INTERNET!!! word to the wise --- don't come in too many cars!!! they REALLY only allow one parking spot per room - unless they aren't full! check-out was a bit early (10:30) -- of course, you can stay a little longer at the pool or beach but there's no bathroom on the premises once you've checked out!!!!! management could have been nicer!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2009

This is our seventh year at Surfs Inn and we will keep going. New management has begun to make some improvements in the place and has added more staff to keep the place up. This is what going to the beach used to be. Not sitting six stories up in a sealed condo. Right on the beach, nice pool, clean rooms friendly staff. Walking distance to John's Pass. I will take this place over a high price hotel any day. We often see the same people year after year. This is not fancy but very relaxing. If you want to amenities of a fancy hotel go find one and pay the price. Leave this place to those of us that simple enjoy relaxing at the beach.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jnormal2
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Pros- Good location, tidy grounds, nice little pool and they do not require a one week stay.
Cons - Horrible mattress, cheap, hard pillows and a room cramped with far too much furniture. And did I mention how bad the mattresses were? A cardboard box would have been better. Plus, I had to track down the maid to get any service. We were there three days before we got the room vacuumed and 4 day before the bathroom got cleaned, and then only by special request. You can do much better for the price. A huge disapointment!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple