“Hotwire Buyer Beware”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #114 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This hotel is sold on Hotwire as Oceanfront property, NOT oceanfront room. I have booked on hotwire many times over the years and many times have been very happy. Not this time, when I booked for $325 a night it stated I just saved 49% over other sites, $656 total dollars, which would be what is described and sold on other sites as a oceanfront room, but when I checked in they stated the hotwire rooms were "city views". the old bait and switch. the $325 i paid is the same price as many other sites for the "city view" rooms. Do not misunderstand the room was very nice, but you really are not saving any money booking on hotwire for south beach. Nice room, nice location. Just not what I was expecting.

7  Thank drew w
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Dear Drew W,

Thank you for choosing Breakwater Hotel as your destination while holidaying in Miami Beach. The Hotel is indeed Ocean front as we are conveniently located 100 feet away from the ocean. Because you have booked through a third party source, our rates are contracted and thus can not be negotiated. After reviewing with management, we were not able to upgrade you due our Hotel being at maximum occupancy.
We sincerely hope that you have enjoyed your stay with us and as always look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night post-cruise in mid-December. The hotel has been renovated recently and everything is looking as good as new. Wonderful decoration in the rooms and in the reception. We just loved the Christmas Tree.
We were pleasantly surprised that there was almost no noise from the street and we slept very well indeed. Staff were helpful and pleasant and the food in the restaurant below very good. We would certainly be happy staying here for a longer trip.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to the noise from Ocean Drive, ask for a back room.
1  Thank Mines_10

Dear Mines10,

Thank you for such and encouraging review! As always we appreciate the time you have spent with us and look forward to your next stay. Our rooms are beautifully decorated as they have gone through a very expansive renovation. We can not wait till your prompt return.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

The hotel is clean and modern and the location is great- that said, people need to understand what South Beach is like. It is loud, boisterous and intrusive, I found that Hotel Breakwater offered a pleasant escape from the chaotic scene. The roof top lounge is very relaxing and comfortable. Also, the beach access and lounge chairs were a great plus. The staff was very friendly and helpful- the bellmen, concierge and the guy setting up our beach chairs offered the epitome of great service.

Room Tip: Our room was in a corner and in the back offering no view but was quiet which was perfect! It can ge...
4  Thank Lekelis
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear Lekelis,

At Breakwater we appreciate your feedback! Great service is part of our service culture that we work hard to mantain. We are proud to know that your stay with us was magnificent and as always the Gem of South Beach eagerly awaits your return!

Reviewed 16 December 2011

The location is excellent and the service could not be faulted. Valet, doorman, check-in and concierge, always nice greetings and offers to help. Clearly a lot of effort has been made in this area and it looks to have paid off. No sign of a hard sell from the outside restaurant promotion staff, either.

OK the rooftop pool is still "pending permit" but the lap pool and connecting walkway to the adjoining building looks almost complete, and of course the beach is just yards away.

The room (315, next to elevator but that caused no disturbance) was tastefully furnished, well-equipped and had the comfiest bed I have enjoyed for a while. Large safe though wardrobe space limited. Great tea/coffee machine.

The free internet was rather slow as was the elevator, minor annoyances. Excellent HD TV. Of course the disturbance was the band that played a short distance from the window until 3am, but that was no surprise and, as others have commented, is what you have to expect if staying on Ocean Drive. I suggest however the hotel leaves complementary earplugs by the bed, luckily I had my own.

The hotel collects some kind of mandatory "resort fee" in addition to the room rate, I don't really know what I was supposed to receive for that (a towel if I used the beach?). However it was not a massive sum and did not detract from an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the main building will likely be noisiest.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank chacann

Dear chacann,

Thank you for your reply about our Hotel! We always strive to provide everyone of our guests with the best service available and make sure that we leave no stone unturned when it comes to our cleanliness and room amenities.
We thank you in advance for choosing Hotel Breakwater to be the your home away from home and can not wait for your prompt return.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

I booked this hotel finally on Expedia after going back and forth between this and Hotel @800. I chose this and I'll never regret it. The service is exceptional and I would stay here every time I visit South Beach. Upon arriving, my girlfriend and I didn't even have to lift a finger. The cab dropped us right in front on the building and a bell hop took our bags so we can check in, and while we waited, we were offered champagne. They told us our room was around the corner in their newer building so, the bell took our bags there, showed us our room and gave us a rundown of all the amenities. He was very helpful. I needed ice, someone brought it. I needed toothpaste, someone brought it, and very fast too! The whole staff was very inviting and very attentive to my needs with speedy service. The hotel charges a $15 hotel fee daily for wifi, beach towels and chairs too, so thats great because anyone who's ever stayed in SoBe and went to the beach knows that the cost for beach chairs which will run around $20-$25 per chair.
The room came with DirecTv w/ 60 channels, iHome for iPod and iPhone, very comfortable bed, and very nice room. They are still doing renovations, but when done they will have a pool that wasn't completed yet when I went, but they do have a roof top where you can tan or just relax and have drinks overlooking the ocean and ocean drive. Very modern looking and great experience. I will only stay here or Hotel @ 800 (or The Hotel) from now on

3  Thank CWJV715

Dear CWJV715,

We appreciate your comment about our Hotel! We are the gem of Ocean Drive and as such we treat every one of our guests with the warmth and care you won't find anywhere else. Thank you for making us and choosing us to be your home away from home!