“Never again ”
Review of Katsuya by Starck

Katsuya by Starck
Reserve with OpenTable
Katsuya by Starck is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 1,160 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 17th Street
Description: Enjoy Chef Uechi's signature sushi and robata with new touches inspired by Miami's local Latin flavor at SLS South Beach.
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

Nothing like starting an evening off with your maitre'd being completely rude to the guests ahead of you. We witnessed that for five minutes before finally a hostess saved us. We were next seated at our table that was 4 inches from two other tables. Not romantic when you can hear guests conversation on either side of you. Our server was a snob. By the end of the night I wanted to get out of the mandatory 18.% tip. He was awful. When he asked how our meal was we told him that the cod was a ten but the shrimp dish was a two! Shrimps were so over cooked a knife couldn't cut them. Our server laughed. He thought my analogy was funny. Well not really. We had to pay for those tough white pieces of rubber. Seriously. Why ask how a meal is if you don't care. No one cared about us from start to finish. $175 for two was an insult to us and our wallet. You can put lip stick on a pig but it's still a pig. Try Zumas if you want perfection. Pass on Katsuya by Stark it's a rip off. PS the food was so salty we had to order lots of water.... I think it's a ploy as each bottle of water is $11!!!!

1  Thank Lizzy9663
Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

I asked for some ginger for the sushi sampler I ordered. Simple request yes? Well not for our waitress, because she went on a professorial tour of why I shouldn't eat the sushi sampler with ginger because it will interfere with the radish cleansing effect on my pallet. Radish?!? Eww & gross. The smell alone makes me gag .
After she finished educating me I just stared at her for a few seconds before replying "ok thanks for that, can I have some ginger now?".
If this was some complex dish that the chef created i would have taken any advice given to elevate the flavors but we were talking about raw slabs of fish on a bed of radish (barf) and ice.
The attached picture is of the blinds that surrounded the room. How do they clean those????

2  Thank ShorelineGuy
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

Had such a wonderful dinner last night every thing I ordered was absolutely delicious service was above par great end to the day .

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed our cocktails, wine and food at Katsuya. I had the Seared Tuna and Blackened Cod, both were amazing. The rest of the family was also very happy with the choices (ribeye, sushi rolls and sashimi). Service was good.
The only drawback was that it was noisy so it was hard to talk. The table was fairly wide so we had to scream to each other.

Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

Love Katsuya in Los Angeles but this place is not as good. First, the layout of the resto isn't great and the service was ok. Best dish is the ceviche. Still enjoyed myself and would go back but lacks a bit of charm.