“Top-notch Asian food in South Beach”
Review of Drunken Dragon

Drunken Dragon
Reserve with OpenTable
Drunken Dragon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 1,217 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2016

For some reason, good Asian food is hard to find in South Beach. And the Drunken Dragon itself is hard to find -- but the food it worth the hunt. Actually, it hides in plain sight on the "quiet side" of Miami Beach. After we moved here last year, we walked by this strip mall on Alton a hundred times before we realized that the black glass windows with a large red "MARKET" sign over them hide Drunken Dragon, a lovely, busy restaurant with some Korean BBQ tables and a medley of Asian cuisines. They call themselves "an Asian gastro pub,' a reasonable description.

The restaurant on a Tuesday night was almost full and quite lively with a playlist that was all over the place, but the four of us could still converse, always a plus. We hadn't reserved a BBQ table, but as it was our first time we were eager to try and share a variety of dishes. There wasn't a loser among them.

We loooooved the crispy bok choy with garlic and plum; our friend who'd never had it before marveled at it. The roasted beet salad was yummy but small enough that none of us got more than a taste. We ordered one D&D Rice dish with shrimp, and we loved the flavors -- sour cream sambal, cotija cheese, cashews -- that we wolfed it down and immediately ordered the chicken version. Loved that too. I thought we ordered bbq short ribs, but I don't see them on the online menu, so it might have been Crack Spare Ribs. Whatever. They were fabulous. Order ribs. That was probably our favorite dish. The Japanese Berkshire sausages were also a hit. We ordered a dessert to share, and i can't remember the name, but it came in a jar and we liked it a lot, so don't turn down the dessert list.

There is valet parking available, and not much street parking; Uber is popular here. But if you're staying on the Ocean Drive (east) side of the beach, it's an interesting walk through the two-story Art-Deco residential area in the middle to Alton at 14th on the west side. We always find some architectural detail to marvel at or a landscaping idea to squirrel away. From most hotels from 5th to 20th, it's about a 20-minute walk, very safe. (The billion-dollar sandbar is only about a dozen short blocks from east to west.) You can also take the South Beach Local bus, which loops around Washington and Alton continuously -- for only a quarter!

Reviewed 2 April 2016

A friend of ours who lives in the area suggested the restaurant. It's in a little strip mall with a simple "Market" sign out front, you would never even know it was there. Once you get inside, it's cozy and chic with a fun vibe. We sat at one of the tables were you could grill your own food, our teenagers loved it. The cocktails were great and the food was amazing. The portions were a little small, so order multiple items if sharing. Overall a great experience and we would go again in a heartbeat. As some people have suggested, I would take an Uber as there is not much parking.

Reviewed 1 April 2016

I had been in Miami beach for almost 2 weeks and was craving for Korean food, so based on the reviews I had read, we decided to try... and were not disappointed!

I must say when the taxi dropped us there, we were not sure we were at the right place, but then I saw the bamboo steamers through the window and pushed the door.

We arrived there quite late and had no reservations, but we were only 2 and got lucky as they found us table right away (I heard that it's best to book in advance though).
We ordered the popcorn to share as we were intrigued by the mix of truffle, pecorino and nor and oh my... I wish I could have that everyday! We even thought of dropping by for take-away before heading to the airport ;-)

Then I had the bulgogi, with kimchi and pickle daikon. My friend was trying Korean food for the 1st time and loved it. Even though their menu is more fusion. I would love to have that kind of restaurant where I live, and would definitely go back whenever in Miami beach.

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We haven't been to the "Dragon" for about five months and it is always great to see that the quality has not changed at all. The chef continues to develop new things for the menu that are always tasty delights. We have taken several friends for the first time visit and they all rave about it. Nice to know you can rely on the consistent quality and service. We shared the Edamame, Cracked Ribs, Twice Fried Chicken, Dok Boki (especially flavorful this time), and the Stone Pot Rice, and only had room for a couple shared desserts after that. Some wine and a delightful evening!

Reviewed 9 March 2016

When my friend suggested we dine here, initially I was not excited. I saw a picture of the outside of the restaurant which is in a small strip mall and the outside of the restaurant just has a red sign that says "Market" but when I went in were were pleasantly surprised. We tried a little of everything and loved it. I had some kind of basil martini which was good, we tried some small lobster roll appetizers that I loved. We also tried Crispy Bok Choy, Brussels, Cracked Spare ribs, Shanghai Fried Rice, Corn on the cob (excellent), we cooked our own meats on the burners and it was just a really lovely dinner. The decor was great, it was kind of noisy but not sure if it was extra noisy because they were finishing up a private event. While waiting to be seated they had a great art exhibit next door and so we went in there and had a dose of culture and good food shortly thereafter. I highly recommend this place. Our hotel was located in the South Beach area and we took an Uber here which took less than 10 minutes and was less than 10 dollars. (A whole lot easier than having to valet or look for parking).