“Catalina - The Good & The Bad”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 22 January 2012

First, the rates seem to vary greatly at this place. I got my room through Bookit.com and paid $174/night only to find out that I could have booked directly 2 days after I booked it for about $90/night. Expect to also pay for valet parking at $32/day. There are no other options.

This is a fun place and not a place I would recommend if you don't want to party at least a little bit. The rooftop bar is great. Robert can reserve an outdoor bed for you, which is fabulous and he is super friendly and helpful. Steve, the bartender is also friendly and recommended a couple of great local restaurants that were relatively inexpensive and delicious. (Havana 1957 & Cevichery both on Espanola about 10 minute walk $15-20 per person)

Each day they have a club promoter that can take you into the clubs, with a ride there and drinks at the Catalina before for 2 hours. The cost is typically $35-60 per person depending on the club. One of the promoters, DiLo, is in charge of the more upscale club promotions (Liv, Set, etc...). This guy is seriously the most pretentious person I've ever met. To the point of being funny. He seriously said to us that he could hook us up at Club Set, which had "beautiful people like him that dress well". There is very poor communication between everyone at the Catalina, i think because there are separate hotels connected together (Catalina, Maxines, Dorset).

So summarized:

The Good: rooftop bar/pool, location, constantly something fun going on, included items such as free wi-fi, free drinks (vodka, gin, rum) between 7-8 pm, pool beds, etc...

The Bad: the rooms are not so great (think chic version of Howard Johnson), Communication between hotel staff (noone seems to know what's going on)

Overall it was a fun experience and I would definitely come back. Look for rooms in the $130-160 range. If I paid over $200/night I might be more critical. You really arent in your room that much so it not being fancy is not a big deal for me. it wasn't dirty just old. I absolutely hate the memory foam bed but that is more of a personal preference.

Room Tip: 2nd floor. the elevator is really slow so unless you want to climb 4 flights of stairs all the time...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,875)

Reviewed 21 January 2012

we stayed 3 nights at the catalina and found the property to be beyond our expectations. we especially liked the roof top pool at the dorset. robert is by far your outstanding asset. each time we went up to the pool he was in full service mode and made the day painless and fun. we intended to go to the beach but went to the pool each day because of him.
thank you robert.....
peter
carlsbad,ca.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank peter z
catalinarelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Good Afternoon Peter,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for our future guests to read. I am extremely glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we went beyond your expectations! All of our guests that come to The Catalina and hangout at the Rooftop Pool LOVE Robert!! He provides amazing service to all of our guests! I will inform him of your praise! We hope to see you soon! :)

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Do not make the mistakes we have made: We stayed a few doors down to save money -- it was horrible. This is the best hotel in South Beach. So good, we have gone back 6 times now!! Any money you save on the room, you will spend on drinks, chairs at the ocean, and hotel shuttle.

They have an incredible rooftop pool with an incredible attendant, Robert. He takes care of you as though you are his family! He is incredible. Super diligent, super fast, and super kind. You cannot beat that. He brings you drinks, towels, sun tan lotions, anything you need!

We always stay in the Maxine. We love it! It is full of young, fun people ready to have a great time in South Beach. Every time stay, we have met incredible people and had the best time. It is 1.5 blocks to the ocean. By the way, each room gets 2 free beach chairs on the ocean -- I believe they rent for $25 normally.

The happy hour from 7-8pm has FREE drinks every night -- as much as you can drink. There is a FREE shuttle to take you to and from the airport. It is that easy.

The management is incredibly caring and responsive. Anything you need -- they will work to make it happen. The bartenders are always a blast. They work hard and always look like they are having fun!

And the food is great and cheap!

Try the Catalina before going somewhere else.

Good Afternoon Amanda,

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am so glad to read that not only are you a returning guest but you had a great time with us! Sounds like you enjoyed a lot of our amenities that we offer such as the beach chairs, our complimentary Cocktail Hour from 7-8PM, as well as the complimentary shuttle to and from MIA International Airport. I am also glad to read that you had a great experience with our management. We hope to see you SOON! :)

Have an amazing day!

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have been to the Catalina 6 times now and it's always been a fantastic experience. They have wonderful staff and very clean rooms. There is a rooftop pool in one of the buildings that is a delight and my friends and I spend most of our time at the cabanas by the pool. The service staff there is excellent also. Robert, the pool attendant, is very sweet! My stay at the Catalina is pretty much perfect everytime I visit Miami.

Room Tip: I like to stay in the Maxine building because of the bamboo pool and the outdoor restaurant, but it...
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My girlfriends and I just finished our weekend trip to south beach and had an amazing time at catalina!! Staff was super friendly....Robert at the pool was so nice and took great care of us. Also Steve was a fabulous bartender and gave us quick service with a great attitude. Not to mention food was great at the 2 restaurants located within hotel and brunch was so good. The hotel was busy with a great crowd and rooms were decorated swanky. Much much better than royal palm which was overpriced and had shabby rooms. Location is also great at catalina. Would def recommend to a friend and plan on staying there for my next trip to south beach!

Room Tip: If u want sound sleep request a room on a higher level than ground but if you're there to go all...

Good Afternoon Jen G,

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am so glad to hear that your girls weekend turned out to be amazing! :) I will personally let the mentioned staff know all about your wonderful praise! If you decide to have another girls weekend, we would LOVE to host it! Have an amazing day!