5,086 results
All reviews rooftop pool happy hour maxine building kung fu south beach free drinks sushi restaurant free shuttle free beach chairs bachelorette party lincoln road ocean drive few blocks beach towels art deco dorset maxines
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights from June 25-29. As with any place there are some pros and cons.

Pros: The location is perfect. A few minutes walk to the Lincoln rd shopping/dining area, and an even shorter walk to the beach! Free beach towels and lounge chairs for when you go to the beach. The beds were fairly comfortable for a hotel bed. The staff are friendly and seemed like they liked their job and wanted to help you. The free shuttle to and from the airport was great.

Cons: It is very loud and almost impossible to sleep at night. All you can hear is music and loud people until 4AM. As another reviewer mentioned, there is NO closet and NO drawers for your things. The lighting is too dim. The cleaning service was terrible or non-existent. We had the "please clean" sign on our door the entire trip and every time we came back to the hotel our room hadn't been clean. The maid showed up once during our stay but we were in the room taking a nap. After the first day we just kept asking for fresh towels ourselves. The $15US per day "resort fee" seems pricey for what you get.

Overall, this hotel is perfect if you are planning on partying or staying out all night. If you are planning on a peaceful and relaxing vacation, this hotel probably is not for you.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Main building and it was really loud because of the bar. Maybe the north or south buildings are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coline24
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Good Afternoon Coline,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am so glad that you were able to enjoy our complimentary lounge chairs. I am sorry to hear that you found the lighting to be dim and the cleaning service to be "terrible". We are currently working on adding more lighting in the guest rooms. In regards to the cleaning service- I have personally spoken with the director of operations and she is going to look into that issue. The $15 resort fee covers all of the amenities that we provide- lounge chairs at the beach (saving you $30- each chair on the beach costs $15 to rent for the day), complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM, R/T shuttle (saves you over $60- shuttle to and from the airport is $64), beach cruiser bikes, late check- out until 12PM, and all of our other wonderful amenities.

It is constructive feedback such as yours that allows us to make the necessary changes we need to, in order to make The Catalina a better and more enjoyable place for our guests.

Have an amazing day!

Reviewed 29 June 2012

My recent trip to the Catalina was about my 10th time at the hotel. It's a terrific place, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. For the location, the price is outstanding. I love the tempur-pedic matresses. The good at the Maxine restaurant is consistently good. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Good Afternoon Dan,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read. I am so glad to read that you had a terrific time while staying with us. All of our guests love the Tempur Pedic beds that we provide in all of our guest rooms. We hope to have you stay with us for the 11th time!! :D

Have a great evening!

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I tried this place for lunch today....let me preface this review by saying that all 3 members of our party have been in the service industry at some point. Where do I start? We ordered a wrap, ham and cheese, with a well done burger. We sat for an hour. When we asked the waitress why it was taking so long she said we were holding on a burger...two minutes later the burger arrives at the table. The other food was nowhere to be found and neither was our waitress. TE!N minutes later we got our complete order. We had a waitress take our drink order, another take the food order and a kitchen staff member deliver it to the table? We asked to speak with a manager. She explained to us that our food had gotten mixed up and that was the issue. As a manager it is your job to keep an eye on ticket times or tables with NO food! That would have been great to know...accidents happen. Instead we were ignored. That is bad business! The manager took off the gratuity and"said" she gave us 15% off. We weren't looking for something free...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read. I apologize greatly for the inconvenienced long wait. We were experiencing great issues with our kitchen causing us a delayed wait time as well as a number of employee's calling out sick. We were trying to do the best that we could to make sure that everything was coming out on time and as it should. I apologize greatly for this! I would love for you to come back and experience lunch again without any issues or inconveniences. Please let me know if you will be back around and I will take care of you!

Have an amazing weekend!

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed at the Catalina Hotel and Beach club this past Wednesday to Sunday. There were some pros and cons to the hotel, but overall it was a good stay.

Pros: Great location. It's on Collins Avenue, two blocks from Lincoln Road (a major shopping and dining strip) and a short walk over to Ocean Drive (another dining and drinking strip). The hotel also has two pools (one a rooftop), and free happy hour from 7-8pm every night in the hotel bar and both restaurants. And the price that we paid was decent for a four night stay.

Cons: It's not the biggest hotel, so you hear EVERYTHING outside of your room, including the party people coming in at all times of the night and their conversation. And I'm used to a certain amount of bellhop service (a big bougie I know) and I was dragging my bags in when we got there and out when I left. The two bed room was a decent enough size, but there weren't any drawers (a definite need on a four day stay) and the light was pretty dim in the rooms.

The hotel staff was friendly, pleasant, and prompt. We had a leaky faucet and it was fixed, the housekeeping staff did a great job (except for one day when we didn't leave the room until after 12pm, lol), and we called for ice and towels a couple of times and they were brought quickly. If I stayed there again it would probably be for a quick in and out trip, and not anything more than a couple of days.

Room Tip: 218 in the main building (with the red bar) is RIGHT near the elevator and the stairs. It's probably better to have a room further down the hall.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SRainey81

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read. I am glad to read that you were able to enjoy our complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM and our pools! Which of the two pools were your favorite? We are currently working on adding more lighting to our rooms. I am glad that you found our staff friendly and fast with your request! :) We hope to have you stay with us again sometime soon!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was a great hotel to stay. Super clean rooms, great staff, and awesome location in South Beach. I'll definitly be staying there again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Good Morning Jason,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely glad to read that you had a great time while staying with us! Where you here for business or pleasure? We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have an amazing weekend!