I've done my research and read previous reviews of the Catalina so it came as no surprise to me that our room was small. To be honest though, there really isn't any room to swing a cat in the rooms here!
While the Catalina was clean and compact the room was, um, different given that the ceiling was red and the lampshade red and half way down from the ceiling. I felt like I was staying in a bordello!
The beds (Tempur mattresses, I believe) were comfortable. That said, I don't think that house keeping cleans underneath them that well as my Dad found a spare Panasonic remote control hiding but I guess that is because there is no room for housekeeping to maneouvre. Bizarrely there was a portable AC unit by one of the beds that only worked intermittently so I work up drenched in sweat quite regularly. The room (215) was incredibly small and had a limited view of the pool. This combined with the 'redness' of the room made it all seem very claustrophobic.
The bathroom was clean and had a lovely raincloud shower. The Catalina claims to be an environmentally friendly hotel because of it's sheet/towel changing policy but is happy to waste plenty of water as there isn't a plug in the hand basin in the rooms and toilets in the communal areas.
The hotel does Happy Hour betwen 7pm and 8pm with most drinks being free. The bartender is from London and a real character (black lady with fantastic hair, unsure of her name), you can talk for ages with her. That said, the hotel should take some responsibility for the behaviour of their patrons. 1 girl was comatose in the bar area and 1 man who was clearly on something was allowed to carry on acting in a truly odd manner. The same girl was escorted out by her husband then vomited outside, in front of everybody. The Cockney bar tender gave her a sick bag and sluiced the pavement down. Above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion!
Did I like the Catalina? Yes. It is a quirky, boutique style hotel in a good location. The rooms are a bit odd but again, quirky in a good way. The size is too small but tolerable for 1 night with 3 adults sharing 1 room.
I think this is a lively hotel aimed at the 'clubbing' generation. I would definitely stay here again if it was for a short stay. Anything longer I would choose a different hotel. Miami is a great city with a sexy, European vibe and I would love to visit again.
Tip - Ask for a quiet room as the location of some would be very noisy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Catalina Hotel + Beach Club is all of this and more. With a decidedly European jet-set vibe and a splashy beach club where you can get poolside manicures and pedicures, the Catalina Hotel + Beach Club also offers two restaurants, two pools, four bars, a media library, a rooftop terrace, a Japanese Koi fish pond and a Zen garden. In addition, the hotel boasts a dedicated library, which can serve as a meeting space for small groups. IMPORTANT -- Credit card used for booking must be the same credit card presented for payment at check-in. The name on the credit card must match the name on the reservation and the card holder must be present along with a government-issued photo ID. Holiday and Special Events require a non-refundable prepayment 30 days prior to arrival. No early departures are allowed. Reservations are completely non-refundable within 30 days of arrival. Events include but are not limited to: New Years (12/26 to 1/3), Boat Show (2/12 to 2/16), Winter Music Conference & Ultra (3/15 to 3/31), Memorial Day (5/21 to 5/25) & Art Basel (12/3 to 12/9). A mandatory daily resort fee of $20.00 plus tax ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalina Hotel & Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalina Hotel And Beach Club
- Catalina Hotel Miami
- Catalina Hotel & Beach Club Miami Beach, Florida