Grand Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$229
US$219
Official Website
  • Pool
W South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$396
US$314
  • Pool
Hotel Astor(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$104
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$120/night.

Free cancellation until 25/07
US$302
US$295
  • Beachfront
The Confidante Miami Beach(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$186
US$161
  • Beachfront
The Marlin Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$201
US$179
1818 Meridian House(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$138
US$106
US$184
US$148
  • Beachfront
SLS South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$379
US$175
  • Beachfront
Shore Club South Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$189
US$157
5,023 results
All reviewsrooftop poolhappy hourmaxine buildingkung fusouth beachfree drinkssushi restaurantfree shuttlefree beach chairsbachelorette partylincoln roadocean driveart decodorsetmaxinesbartendermiami
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Recently two of my friends and I stayed at The Catalina South Beach (ages 26-27). We were very disappointed when we arrived in our "On a Budget" room to find that it was nothing like the picture with white and red accents, rather, brown tones, with a musty smell, damp sheets, a dirty bathroom, A/C rumbling loud enough to wake you in your sleep and door keys that would not work.
Fortunately, the staff there, specifically Tyrell were more than accommodating, and were ready to make our experience much more enjoyable. We were upgraded to a business suite, and I will say that these rooms are spacious & clean with nice decor and comfortable beds, located in the Dorset Building.
Be aware that there are three seperate buildings to this hotel located beside each other, the Dorset is located to the right and houses the Sushi restaurant as well as the rooftop pool and we felt that this was the best building to be in, the main hotel houses the lobby, the bar where Happy Hour is located, as well as more rooms, and the third building to the left has Maxine's restuarant in it, as well as the Bamboo pool and inside seating to eat/ drink - this was the building that our first room was located in, so stay clear!
Happy Hour is well worth it, the drinks are very strong, and you walk away feeling as though you were really given something for free, the staff seem to enjoy working there, and are very easy to talk to.

The downfall is the area, if you're looking for the South Beach vibe, you wont find it here, the hotels surrounding The Catalina are rundown, and although they look like they were once being renovated they now look abandoned. There is no colour until nightfall when some of the hotels light up but even then we were left wanting more.

The hotel is in walking distance to shopping on Lincoln road, Walgreens, a Liquor Store so this was nice. You can also walk to Ocean Drive which takes about 20 minutes. Once you get to Ocean Drive you feel like you're finally in Miami, this is where you want to party.

Be aware that The Catalina has club promoters working there, and they will try and get you to pay them so they take you to clubs and give you free drinks, Frank is the best promoter but we didn't always get what we were promised, having to move to a different club the first night because the free drinks we were told we'd get was no longer being offered, and clubs dont get busy till after 1, so when you go out around 11 with the promoters you often walk into dead clubs....

Finally, try and plan your trip for a time other than Hurricane Season, we learned the hard way that September does get a lot of rain, and although it didn't ruin the trip entirely, we didn't quite get the hot sunny beach weather everyday that we had planned for!

Room Tip: Rooms located in the Main Building will be the loudest... Rooms in the Dorset Building seem the nicest because it was newly renovated Rooms in the building with Maxine's, stay clear of "On a Budget" - very disappointing My ratings surrounding cleanliness, sleep quality and rooms speaks towards our second room, the Business Sweet
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for providing us with your honest feedback! I am sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! I apologize that you were not able to get the room that you originally booked. I am extremely glad that Tyrell was able to assist you in changing your room and got you an upgrade! Each restaurant and bar on property provides complimentary cocktail hour to all guests from 7-8PM. The hotel to our right is an upcoming hotel that is going to be amazing! They are currently working on it and it it not abandoned. We have the Claremont to our left and they just finished renovating the interior of that hotel. They really improved it and made it really cute. The outside is not landscaped which makes it look not as cute. A lot of our guests that stay here love our location. We are in the middle of everything! Unfortunately, September is rainy season here in South Florida. We hope that you would give The Catalina another chance! IF you ever come to South Beach again please let me know, I would love to handle your reservation!

Have a great evening!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We spent a few nights at the Catalina last week. Staff was very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the happy hour and the restaurant. The location is very good. Room was very clean. The only one disadvantage was - if you want to go to the pool, you have to go to another building.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lijana535

Good Afternoon Lijana,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely happy that you had a great time while staying with us! Glad that you enjoyed happy hour and the restaurant. Which bar did you sip sip at?
We hope to have you back to stay with us again sometime soon!

Have a great night!

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at the Catalina a Wednesday night prior to a cruise. It's in a great location - near the beach, nightlife, etc. We didn't know what to expect after seeing their Reality Show. It ended up being better than we expected, especially for the price we paid. Our El Grande room was in the building to the left of the main one. It was a large and comfortable room. The room and the hotel have a funky vibe to the decorating which didn't bother us. The lobby and hallways could use a little sprucing up. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Good place for a pre or post cruise stay or for a partying crowd.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for posting your feedback! I am glad that you were able to stay with us prior to your cruise! Where did you cruise too? I am glad that you liked the decor! Our staff tries there best to make each and every guest feel as if they were at home! I hope that you come to stay with us again, for longer time! :D Hope you had an amazing time on your cruise! If you ever decide to come back to The Catalina, please let me know and I will make it extra special! :)

Have a great evening!

Reviewed 24 September 2012

On 8/31/12 I had the pleasure of spending the night at The Catalina. This was my 3rd or 4th saty there. I love this place! It is reasonably priced, centrally located, has a great vibe and friendly staff. The Catalina is always my 1st choice of where to stay in South Beach. I live in Delray Beach, so I am somewhat local. I love coming to The Catalina for a mini vacation! The rooms are clean, tatstefully decorated and it is just so fun there! I always bring a friend to stay with me and they are always so impressed with the Catalina. The Catalina is a gem amongst the over-priced South Beach hotels! Already planning my next trip!
Rachael G Delray Beach, FL

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon Rachael,

Thank you for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am so glad to read that you are a returning guest! :D We are located in the middle of almost everything- if not a 5 minute cab ride. A lot of our guests that book here love our location. We hope that you come again for your 5th time! Please let me know when you do and I will make it extra special! :)

Have a great day!

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Just spent a girls weekend at the Catalina. The hotel had great amenities - happy hour, beach chairs, pool. It was also in a great location - close to lots of restaurants, shopping, and bars. I was surprised that the hotel needed some basic maintenance - super sloppy paint jobs, broken tiles, really old carpet. One of the beds in our room was broken and there were ants in our room. Overall, it was fine (and fun) for our girls weekend or would be fun for a couples getaway. I would not recommend for families.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for leaving your feedback for all of our guests to read! I am glad that you enjoyed the amenities that we offer here at the hotel! All of our guests love the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM. Which pool did you like the most? The bamboo pool or the rooftop pool? We are in the middle of renovating. We are choosing the carpet so that we can change it soon. Would you be so kind to provide me with your room number? I would like to inform our maintenance department of the bed that you mentioned to be broken, so they can repair it- if it hasn't been done already. I am glad that you girls has a fun weekend regardless of the small issues that you encountered. We hope to see you girls again for another girly weekend!

Have a wonderful day!