“Peaceful Setting”

Olustee Battlefield Historic State Park
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Olustee
Reviewed 26 May 2015

Having been to several Civil War Battlefields, we were somewhat disappointed, we were somewhat disappointed in the visitors center/interpretive center. First of all, it was unstaffed. It would be nice to have someone there to answer questions. The few (maybe five) exhibits all looked worn and tired. They need some sprucing up. The movie, about 20 minutes in length, was very well-done. We learned much from the movie. The Battlefield itself was kept up. Tho, the signage could use some updating.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"historically"
"hike"

Reviewed 3 March 2015 via mobile

I loved walking the battlefield and seeing the museum. Not knowing anything about the site befor I got there, I expected just the battlefield and a few monuments, so I definitely got more than I bargained for with the walking trail and museum. Overl it was a wonderful educational experience. My only qualms were that some of the markings along the trail were so badly weathered that they were illegible and also that the park map of the walking tour was inaccurate and the trail a bit hard to follow. There is a small reenactment area and, having come the weekend after the reenactment, new trails had just been made in addition to the walking trail. Not a big deal and still a very enjoyable excursion. Just a word to the Florida State Parks Dept. that possibly the trail could be better marked.

1  Thank 790abbyg
Reviewed 25 February 2015

Wow! to walk the very field where this horrible battle took place, to read the path signs telling the historic facts, and seeing the faces (in picture) of the few of the many that lost their lives during this brief but large casualties part of the Civil War. It gave me goose bumps.
The museum, all though small, is very informative in their artifacts and the history film that plays on a loop.
I recommend this to anyone interested in history, especially anyone who is from around this area and Jacksonville Fl because it is a piece of local history.
There is no food or water for purchase at this site, but there are plenty of picnic tables. I suggest bringing "Off" spray if visiting during the Spring, Summer, and Fall months.

2  Thank Gabrielle L
Reviewed 14 January 2015

During a road trip I decided to pull off and visit the Olustee Battlefield Historic Park with my children. It is a short drive off the exit by about 10 minutes. The park museum is unattended but fairly well done and does a decent job of depicting the battle with how and why it happened. There are bathrooms in the facility. We only explored the immediate area around the museum building and did not follow any of the trails. It is a pretty area and reasonably shaded. For the 15-20 min we spent there I felt it was worth the stop but I don't think my children were terribly impressed.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 March 2014

It is a bit of a hike from St.Augustine but the area is well marked. The battlesite park is quite a good size and you are able to walk the battle. The signage is very good but is starting to fade from the sun. It was damp the day we were there so we were only able to walk half way around the loop.

The visitor's centre is good with descriptions of uniforms, bullets etc and the importance of Florida
To the Conferacy in regards to supplying food for the armies. The video is supposed to play on a loop but didn't replay the day we were there.

There is a nice picnic area and the area with the memorial is impressive. You are in the National Forest when you visit this battlesite.

1  Thank Lorne R

Been to Olustee Battlefield Historic State Park? Share your experiences!