Our stay for the week, as part of a package deal, included a one-bedroom suite with kitchenette. Overall, we were thrilled with the room and would recommend staying there. The space was nice and kitchen allowed us to all rise at different times, but still have the ability for early risers to have coffee and breakfast...while watching cartoons.
The one-bedroom suite offered a separate bedroom away from the living room, with both divided in a clever way by the sink area for the washroom as a walk-through (the toilet and tub were in another separate room of their own - perhaps a bit cramped, though). This division allowed for a buffer zone when we put our child to sleep, and wanted to stay up later watching television. With a child, we opted for two double-beds in the bedroom; if you're just a couple, then you could opt for a king-sized bed instead.
The kitchenette provided in the suite is basic, but useful. The fridge is large, so you can store plenty of groceries and drinks, and there's also a small coffeemaker, microwave, toaster and small two burner electric stove top. The catch is, that there's only basic dishes and cutlery - no pots or pans. We made a trip to the nearby SuperTarget for groceries and the necessary corkscrew! In reality, we only needed the fridge, toaster and microwave for basic breakfast and lunches to go (saved a fortune and ate better too).
*COFFEE TIP: The coffeemaker works on individual packets, so if you like coffee as much as I do, then tip the maid and ask for more - we did, and received MANY. :-)
Our suite was on the tenth (10) floor, which other reviews have mentioned as ideal. We found that it had been refreshed and was quite decent. It appears that the rooms can be adjoining, as ours had a door available to the next suite.
TGI FRIDAYS ATTACHED
There's a TGI Fridays attached to the hotel, and kids eat free with adults, but you have to ask the front desk EACH time you want a coupon for a meal - do yourself a favour and ask for three at a time and ask them to date them ahead for you (otherwise they date each one for day of). We never once ate at their breakfast buffet, but heard it was popular. The lunches and dinners were good value, and fair variety to please many tastes. Typical US-sized portions, so nobody will go hungry.
- there are actually TWO sets of elevators, so find the ones closest to your room location for speedier service
- pool has towels available on site
- there's a fenced-in kiddie pool, BUT it was much colder than the adult pool
- obviously close to Universal, but it's also a short drive to Disney
- close to lots of malls, including SuperTarget, Millenia Mall, Prime Outlet Orlando
- close to lots of other restaurants
WATCH OUT FOR
- in the lobby there's a desk that looks like it offers tours, but is really trying to sell timeshares...if a couple of bucks is worth it to lose half of your vacation day, then forget my warning
- apparently, the official smoking area is right at the front of hotel doors - yikes, a minefield of smoke to dodge with a kid in your midst
- ditto (almost) the restaurant that has benches on the side of the building by their doors
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn & Suites across from Universal Orlando is located in the heart of Central Florida's exciting attractions, convention and shopping area. Visit our recently renovated hotel just across the street from the Universal Orlando Resort. Our property features a variety of room types to fit any traveler's needs from Deluxe Guest Rooms with two double beds or a king size bed, and spacious One or Two-Bedroom Suites with nicely equipped kitchenette including microwave and refrigerator. Must be at least 21 to stay. Fabulous amenities to enhance your visit to Orlando such as Game Room, Gift Shop, Guest Laundry Facilities and Valet Service, Fitness Center, Business Center, Outdoor Heated Pool and Kids Splash Zone and the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk with discount attraction tickets to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Sea World and Wet n' Wild. Complimentary Limited Scheduled transportation to Universal Orlando, Sea World and Wet n' Wild. Shuttle transportation schedule subject to change seasonally, service provided through the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk, advance reservations required. TGI Friday's Restaurant on-property serving Breakfast Buffet, Lunch and Dinner, Bar offers Happy Hour daily. TGI Friday's also serving room service. Banquet/Meeting facilities feature 12,000 sq. ft. of flexible function space including 6,500 square foot ballroom and 8 break out rooms. Our experienced team will make your stay or event with us special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and IHG so you can book your Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn & Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando Hotel Orlando
- Holiday Inn And Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Holiday Inn & Suites Across From Universal Orlando Florida