“Excellent hotel ”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #37 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for 10 nights over April. On arrival, you can drive your car up to the entrance where hotel staff will help you unloading your luggage. You can either choose valet service or self-parking. There are plenty of spaces in the car park.
Reception staff were very polite and helpful on checking in. We were given our room keys and shown to the machines for your fastpass (an amazing advantage of being at this hotel). There is also a concierge who were very helpful with getting us tickets for the blue man group.
Our room was on the first floor, with a view over the garden area. The beds are incredibly comfy, rooms spacious and clean. You can check out either at the desk or through the TV in your room.
We arrived in the evening and had a walk around the hotel and the pool just looks gorgeous overnight. And during the day! The depth of the pool differs everywhere you move and there are not many deep areas for really swimming but shallow areas are good for cooling down and for children. During the evenings they hold movie nights with a different movie every night. Towels and chair covers are provided free of charge. You can also order drinks around the pool or go to the poolside bar. Oh and there's a water slide!
Only thing I would say about the pool area is there were a lot of children around, so I wouldn't particularly recommend this hotel for couples.
There is a walkway to the parks and other hotels, or you can jump on the water taxi over to the citywalk.
We had breakfast in the hotel on our first morning, but it was relatively expensive so decided to go elsewhere after this. There was however a good range of foods to choose from, or you could pay around $20 for the buffet breakfast. There is also another restaurant, The Palm, on site but we never visited this restaurant. There are so many restaurants a stones throw away on city walk and just a short drive away on international drive. There is also a bar and a hard rock shop on site, as well as a snack bar/shop where you can get ice creams, pastries and other snacks.
Only thing I have to complain about (other than the amount of children) is there was a cockroach in our room on our last night. We told reception staff and they were incredibly apologetic and called maintenance, who attempted to find it but it had hidden somewhere. Anyway they organised for people to come in and fumigate the room the next day, by which point we had left anyway, and had found and gotten rid of the cockroach ourselves!
Other than this, we really did enjoy our stay and the benefits really are worth it.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
HardRockHotelOrlando, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2016

A quick walk or water taxi ride brings you right to the center of the action at the Universal Orlando theme parks. With the Universal Unlimited Express Passes, and early admission to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, everyone is sure to enjoy their favorite attractions again and again. Following an active day at the parks, our zero-depth pool, featuring a nightly dive-in movie, is the perfect spot to unwind and beat the heat. Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent visit at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando, we hope to see you again soon. Rock On!

Write a ReviewReviews (9,287)

Reviewed 20 May 2016

Loved everything about this place !
Great staff,
Great atmosphere,
Awesome location,
Amazingly comfortable beds !

Initially this was not on my first choice list but travelling with a teen I gave in and am glad I did. Staying on a Universal site ticks all the boxes and the Hard Rock didn't disappoint one bit.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank jo1967
HardRockHotelOrlando, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2016

Thank you for the stellar five-star review. We are thrilled you experienced the Rock Star experience from the moment you arrived. Our newly renovated rooms add an exciting new vibe to the already rockin' good times we feature here at the hotel and our signature Sleep Like a Rock bedding ensures ultimate comfort following an active day at the theme parks. We hope to welcome you back again the next time your travels bring you to Orlando. Take it easy!

Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

We had planned to stay here for our honeymoon 8 years ago but ended up switching to the Royal Pacific and since then this hotel has always been on my to do list! So when the opportunity arose to add 3 nights onto our holiday and stay at a Universal property it was always going to be the Hard Rock!!

We were a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children (4 & 7).

We arrived for check in approximately around 11am. Our 1st impressions of this hotel were WOW!!

At check in I was greeted by a somewhat unfriendly staff member, took all our details, told me room wasn't ready but they would text when it was, where to get express passes from etc etc. I enquired about the cost of an upgrade and was bluntly told there were none available for the duration of my stay, I enquired about a late check out room on our day of departure and was again bluntly told to enquire the day before we were due to leave. I felt as if my enquiries were a nuisance! We left our luggage with the Bell Hop, sorted our express passes and headed to the park. Around 5pm there was still no sign of a text message saying our room was ready but we made our way back regardless. I enquired at reception to be advise our room was ready, we had been allocated a room on the 5th floor overlooking the hotel entrance.

Our room was very clean and the beds were so comfy. We felt the room was on the small side. Tip - if you want a quiet room ask for a Garden view - the pool view rooms would be subject to noise from the pool/bar/sound system.

The hotel is literally a 5-7 minute walk from universal studios. We could see the evening fireworks from the cinematic show from our room.

So what's the but?!
1 - For us, and this is only our opinion, the Hard Rock is not really a family hotel. We intended to spend an afternoon at the pool but people were walking around INSIDE the pool drinking, there were lots of drunk college students running around etc. Not really what I want my 4 and 7 year old to be around in the pool.... and yes we do drink too!!

2- the hotel add 18% gratuity to the bill even when you go to the bar and buy your own drinks. I know in the states it's customary to tip good service but not when I've gone to the bar and ordered my own drinks only for the bar tender to hand them to me?!

3- The express passes should cover all the rides/attractions within each park however the Harry Potter attractions are specifically excluded.

4 - This hotel is beautiful and the location is brilliant but after the initial wow when we drove in we weren't blown away by our experience and some of the staff we encountered were less than helpful. I'm glad I've ticked it off my list but I feel no need to return.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Deborah S

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback from your recent vacation at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando. I will be reviewing all of your comments with our management team as we are always looking for new and innovative ways to create a wonderful experience for our guests. We hope to get the chance to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Orlando. Rock on!

Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

The room was beautiful, the bed was so comfortable and it was nice and quiet (we stayed at the holiday inn the night before which was quite noisy!)

We only stayed a couple of nights to take advantage of being "on property" for Universal's theme parks, & of course all the eateries in the City walk area! The express passes that were a perk of staying at a universal hotel were great, as lines do get quite long as the days go on.

We also stayed on the "Rock Royalty" floor, which was great, nipping into the lounge for breakfast, snacks & drinks was a brilliant addition and I would recommend that, too. The lounge is smaller than we expected, and got pretty full at "happy hour", so there weren't any seats left, but we took our glasses of wine back to our room & relaxed in there instead! Bottled water is also available in here which was a godsend!

The overall atmosphere in the hotel is great, music everywhere and great level of service. The pool area was well maintained with plenty of loungers, cold water available freely, and genius towelling covers for the loungers (I was far too excited about these! Nothing more annoying than a too-small towel not covering your lounger properly!!)

I actually feel like we didn't get chance to fully experience everything the hotel has to offer- lovely room, loads to do and see just in the hotel, and you're even able to use the pools & facilities at the other universal hotels too, although we barely had time to enjoy this one this time, we would definitely stay longer and do more next time!

My only complaint would be about luggage- check in is quite late, at 4pm, but we were told we could leave our luggage while we hit the parks, and it would be in our room when we got up there later. However, it wasn't, and we had to chase it twice before someone brought it up! The guy that brought it was obviously miffed when I took it without tipping, but I was annoyed that we had to ask for our own luggage, more than once- this really was my only complaint though, everything else was perfect & I would love to go back in the future! :-) I must add, though, that even after check out, the option to leave luggage with the hotel was available, so had we wanted another day in the parks the hotel were happy to hold onto our bags even after we had checked out.

Another quick tip- the ATM in the lobby adds an ASTRONOMICAL charge of 2% to cash withdrawals!! Needless to say, we got our cash out elsewhere.. !!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Puglady22

Thanks for the rockin’ review. A quick stroll or water taxi ride places you right in the heart of the thrills at Universal CityWalk. We’re delighted you were able to enjoy our zero-depth pool. Be sure to check out our nightly dive-in movie for the perfect way to chill out after a busy day. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Orlando. Take it easy!

Reviewed 19 May 2016

We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel for four nights. The employees are the nicest people...very helpful. The pool was lovely with great palm trees and sand. It was early in May so it wasn't very crowded at the pool. Great place to sit in the morning. The pool is under four feet deep so it was good for the grand kid who is six. The food was good at the downstairs restaurant. We did not eat at "The Palms". The gift shop had everything one forgets like stamps and eye drops. The beds were very comfortable and house keeping did a good job. The front fountain is great to watch at night. We are over 60 so it is a bit more expensive than our other trips to the lake. Things I did not like: bad toilet tissue, the $22 a day to park the rental car (we do understand the need for this fee to keep the lot available for guest), the coffee maker that did not cooperate even after replacement and some guest leaving one and then two handicap scooters in the hall (seemed like a fire hazard). There is alot of walking to your room if this is an issue for you. THE EMPLOYEES WERE THE BEST.

Stayed: May 2016
HardRockHotelOrlando, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2016

We were honored you rocked out with us! From the awesome memorabilia to our team of Rock Stars, we strive to create an experience that truly rocks. We’re delighted you were able to enjoy our zero-depth pool. Be sure to check out our nightly dive-in movie for the perfect way to chill out after a busy day. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Orlando.