“Beautiful hotel to be seen in”
Review of The Breakers

The Breakers
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in September. We were given a deluxe room (I'm sure that it was just a standard room) that was recently renovated. The room was very beautiful with mirrored doors and even a television in the plush bathroom. My only complaint with the room is the flooring. They choose tile, while very pretty, it does not control the noise. We were woken up daily by a baby crying, not something that is appealing when you are celebrating an anniversary.
Besides that minor issue, the hotel was grand in every way. The grounds were pristine. Fitness center was great (a lot of hotels can't really make this claim). The pools were very refreshing. The staff anticipated our every need.
Here's my big contribution: save up your money for the Sunday brunch. While very pricey ($60 for hotel guest and $75 for others), it is so worth it. This is coming from a budget savy gal. Crab claws, lobster, sushi, and endless Mimosa's and bloody mary's. My favorite is the desert bar. Count on at least twenty different concoctions that will make you smile for hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room away from the elevators

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed off season so got a great rate. We stayed on the club level which is a great value; there is a beautiful patio to sit and have drinks and relax after dinner. It is also a great place for reading the paper with breakfast.

Although the beach was not crowded we rented a cabana for extra space; we got one right near the beach and had fabulous views, a hammock, and great service.

The kids good advantage of surfing lessons which were a huge hit.

We have nothing but praise for the property--great service, great location, great waves and great weather. It ended up being cooler in Palm Beach than in the Northeast in early June!

Room Tip: we loved the Flagler level club rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Obviously, The Breakers says it all. If you have a weak wallet, don't even read this review, this place is not for you. However, for those who like fine accommodations and are willing to part with a few bucks to partake in luxury, this is your cup of tea. Having said this, I was annoyed when I asked for a late checkout. The lady at the desk was less than accommodating and dismissed me immediately saying, "We are fully committed, you will need to vacate the room at 12." This may or may not have been the case, but what she should have said was, "Unfortunately we can't accommodate you, but if you'd like to stay at by the pool the rest of the day, you have an option to rent out a cabana. The cabana has a flat screen TV, frig, shower, and bathroom. I would have gladly signed up. I didn't learn about it until later in the day, after being inconvenienced with storing my travel bags and pulling out select clothes for the day at the beach. It cost a few dollars but it would have been nice to watch the football game and soak in the sun at the same time in privacy....but she never offered it to me. I complained to a manager who pretty much shrugged his shoulders and apologized.

1  Thank btb6666
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My husband and I chose The Breakers as our MiniMoon destination after friends had suggested it. We got married last week and when we were in the midst of trying to plan a honeymoon, we realized it was the height of hurricane season and decided not to risk it- thus the MiniMoon came to be. We actually weren't expecting much..ya know.. just a nice enough hotel and a good place to relax post wedding craziness. Well nice and good turned to FANTASTIC. This place is all about customer service! In the first 5 minutes of our stay we were upgraded to an Oceanfront Suite (which the general manager himself walked us to), given a beach bungalow for our entire stay, and flowers and champagne awaiting us in our room. The grounds of The Breakers are immaculate, the staff amazingly friendly, the food delicious, and the best ocean views in Fla. We seriously forget we were even in Fla.. the whole resort has a very tropical island feel to it. All in all, it was a great place to spend our first week as husband and wife and we cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: we worked with a travel agency that gets its clients an automatic room upgrade if available.
1  Thank lizC8848
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Holy cow! I didn't grow up poor and we travelled a lot, and my parents taught us to say please and thank you. The service at the Breakers is absolutely fabulous but there were so many divas and guys who looked like strip club pimps and they treated the staff there like crap. Then there are the "old" rich who are so clueless about the people around them. Who, me? My friends and I are blocking you way to the elevator? who cares? Sheesh.

That said: I've always wanted, as a FL native, to even see The Breakers, and was thrilled to stay there as my husband was there for a conference. It did not disappoint. Impeccable service, a really nice room (granted, we arrived way late at nite due to air delays, had no view, beds were kind of hard). Big room, perfectly quiet, huge bathroom, robes, etc. They have a really good happy hour in one of the bars but otherwise we couldn't afford to eat/drink there, except for the breakfest special in one of the shops: large coffee or tea and bagel/pastry for 5 bucks.

I would say stay away from floors over the Tapestry Bar. Really loud/marginal music til late at nite.

My only big complaint: well, two, actually. For guests, it's only valet parking, but the other day there appeared to be a chamber of commerce event where attendees were coming in from a side lot without valet; maybe everyone should have that option.

Second, and I stopped at the conceirge desk about this: they have a couple tortoises in a tiny cage by a half-basketball court. I guess so rich kids can poke them with sticks. Anyway, the one tortoise couldn't climb out of the food tray (an overturned planter tray), and the water was filthy. My husband and I checked it outa couple hours after I alerted the conceirge peopleand nothing had changed. I don't care how rich your usual clientele are, abuse of animals is a crime.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
11.0 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Beach
2.0 km away
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#7 of 34 in West Palm Beach

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!