“Food Was Good, Service Was Decent”
Review of Union Public House

Union Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 697 Restaurants in Pensacola
Reviewed 6 February 2018

This place has good potential, but there are a few things keeping it from the top. It's a bit of a hipster pub built in an older building, but it was an enjoyable stop for a family lunch. The evening atmosphere probably skews a bit more to the younger crowd.

First, we enjoyed all the food. The scotch egg was delicious, the pimento cheese hush puppies were a hit, and the burgers were excellent (though massive and hard to eat without a fork and knife). The misses were the shrimp and grouper corn dog (which was just weird, though it tasted fine) and the chicken sandwich (which was overcooked and slightly bland, but there may be a too-long explanation for that, so it gets a pass). All of the sides (tots, collards, grits, and sweet potato fries) were enjoyable, though the collards had quite the vinegar bite to them. In general, all items were tasty, prepared well, and were reasonably priced (if not just slightly expensive).

I know the restaurant focuses on cocktails, which is fine, but I'd like to see a larger beer selection. It looked like they only had a few taps, and only a couple of which were local. Would like to see that expanded for those of us that prefer beer over booze.

Service was OK. Our waiter was courteous and did offer his menu recommendations. However, he disappeared...a lot. There were times where drinks needed a refill or flatware needed to be requested/replaced and he wasn't around. The worst part was that he'd come in the room to tend to another table in the area, but fail to check on us or even note if we needed anything. We were finished with the meal for a good 10 minutes before he came over to ask us about dessert and the bill. And I mean empty plate finished. Again, not a sour experience, but just noticing that service could have been a bit better.

Overall, well check this place out again. It's off the main drag, so I'm sure crowds don't ever get too crazy. However, it is within sight of the Wahoo's stadium, so it's probably a popular place during the season.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Really enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service. Not sure why others had negative things to say about service as our waiter was knowledgeable and attentive, although we did have to ask for a glass with the beer can.. We ordered the pork rinds as an appetizer and they were great. I had the burger and it was one ofthe best. My husband loved the brisket sandwich.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

I’ve eaten here a couple of times and I never get a great vibe from the servers. On this occasion, I ordered hanger steak and the waiter recommended it medium rare. I asked for medium instead. When it showed up it was rare. After waiting 10 minutes the waiter finally returned to check on us and I told him it looked very rare to me. He took it away with no apology. Finally returned over 10 minutes later and it barely looked any different. He didn’t ask if it was cooked the way I wanted it, just dropped it off and left again. The only reason I didn’t send the whole thing back was the cauliflower gratin and the sautéed spinach were very good. I took the steak home and cooked it myself for lunch the next day. Undercooked meat happens but the customer service in this case was a major disappointment. The food here can be very good here but the poor service will keep me away.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

The food was tasty and the service was great! I just feel like the quality of the steak could have been better for the price. The atmosphere was soso. Would have liked to see more choices on the menu

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

My friends and I came for lunch and sat at the bar. I ordered the mussels and gumbo with rice. My friends ordered the burger. The mussels were good but the portion could’ve been more. The gumbo was a bit bland and not enough sausage. The bartender was friendly and knowledgeable. The location was in an off area downtown so a bit hard to find if you don’t already know the area. We will probably come back when the weather is warmer since they have an outside area.