Old Saltworks Cabins
Port Inn(Port Saint Joe)(Great Value!)
US$173
Mainstay Suites(Port Saint Joe)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$119
Cape San Blas Inn(Port Saint Joe)
US$250
Orbitz.com
Rancho Inn(Apalachicola)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$189
Gibson Inn(Apalachicola)(Great Value!)
US$145
Buccaneer Inn(St. George Island)
US$158
US$143
  • Pool
St George Inn(St. George Island)
US$149
US$100
TripAdvisor
All reviewssalt worksbay houseoutdoor showerthese cabinsold floridastate parkcape san blasscallopsacross the streetleereedwildlifelookouttvkingfisherdolphinsbobcat
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My late father loved this part of Florida, The Forgotten Coast. From Mexico Beach (his fav) to Apalachicola & St George Island. He mentioned Old Saltworks often. We have stayed here several times with our dogchild (always with us when we travel). The Reed cabin once but The Bay House is our favorite. Right on the Bay with great views from the screened porch. 2 bedrooms one bath (with a strange jacuzzi tub and separate tiled shower) and well equipped kitchen. Very private. Not luxurious but very nice. The TV is old with poor sound but why would you watch TV with all this beautiful nature around you We spent hours walking out in the bay at high tide with the dog.watching horseshoe crabs chase each other The water no deeper than our knees. Taking pictures of the dog exploring and the beautiful scenery and wildlife. All right outside your door. Every night we drive out to Cape San Blas beach and watch the beautiful sunset and then nights spent on the screened porch talking and enjoying the quiet surroundings. We do often talk about improvements that could make the cabins a little better but we are always happy with our experience overall. Owners have always been available if we needed them. We have stayed at the condos across the street too. The owners had to make a last minute change to another unit due to a water leak. They made sure we were happy with the change and had everything we needed.

TIPS
Yes bring food and snacks
Cell service is spotty & signal searching wears the battery down. TURN IT OFF :)
Explore the towns nearby but remember the slow pace
-Apalachicola has nice shops and restaurants
-St. George Island nice beach & The Blue Parrot has Orange Dreamsicle drink YUM
-Port St Joe groceries and restaurants (Peppers & Joe Mamas Wood Fired Pizza)
-Mexico Beach has a beautiful beach and The Driftwood Inn

Room Tip: The Bay House has a perfect location
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gacayman
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I read the reviews before we booked our cabin at Old Saltworks, and I really wasn't sure what to think. I am a clean freak and a bedbug-phobe, so the negative reviews really worried me. On the other hand I have done a lot of camping a don't expect a stay in the woods to be free of bugs and dirt. But, my husband and I were looking for a quiet place that would accept our two dogs -- both over the 25 pound weight limit a lot of hotels impose -- so we went ahead and booked. I talked to the owner on the phone, and he was very nice and friendly.

When we got there, I was very relieved to find that the cabin was fine and adequately clean for a cabin in the woods. I didn't see any grime or insects inside the cabin. The sheets and towels were clean and white. The screened-in porch was the best part, with a picnic table with a brightly-colored vinyl tablecloth and a Cinnamon Bun-scented candle (the vibe of the place is kind of like your Great Uncle Bert and Great Aunt Martha offer to let you stay in their cabin on the bay), two chairs and a gorgeous view of the bay. We spent 90 percent of our time out on that screened-in porch, and it was like camping but without getting eaten alive by bugs (with the bonus of being able to cook nice meals in a kitchenette rather than on a camp stove).

That said, it was hard not to think about how spectacular these cabins could be. We are really into DIY and designing on the cheap, so we spent a lot of time tossing out ideas about what we would do with the cabin if it were ours. The rustic aspect of these cabins are part of their charm, but rustic doesn't have to mean linoleum and furniture that literally hasn't been changed since the 1960s, including a very uncomfortable and creaky bed and a couch that I never could bring myself to sit on. I would love to see these cabins fixed up a little bit, keeping the rustic aspect but making it so that the interior is just as wonderful a place to hang out as the screened-in porch. I know the per-night price you pay has mostly to do with the location and privacy, but, still, for the price, it would be nice for interiors of the cabins to be upgraded.

Oh, and one more thing -- I wouldn't have really wanted to take a shower in the indoor shower, but the outdoor shower is rustic and wonderful!

Room Tip: Try to get a cabin overlooking the bay!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KChicaAJ
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Just stayed there last week for 8 nights of hell. Heavy BLACK MOLD coverering the bedroom ceiling and living room area, including the air ducts. The floors were dirty and the carpet was joined together by about 12 ft. of silver duct tape. In the bathroom there was also quite a bit of mold and the vinyl around the shower had lifted up and was broken. The floor was spongy and I was unsure about the wood rot on the flooring in that area. There were roachesin all the rooms. The bed was hard as a rock and could not be slept on. We slept on the dirty couch and loveseat. After ringing the bell and leaving several messages, we had no way and never did see any employees or owner.We have a pet and were unable to move to another motel. The front screen door was ripped and there was animal damage that was unrepaired. Please find another place to stay and don't give these people any more business, don't ruin your vacation like ours was. We had stayed here 2 times, the last being about 5 years ago and the place has been run into the gouond

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank yellowjeepman
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed in the Lookout Cabin and it was just fine... The shower was a tad bit small but I used the outdoor shower the rest of my visit.. it was big and I just really took to taking showers outside... I have become quite a fan! anyways... the bed was acceptable, nothing plush, there were two big stuffed chairs with ottomans in front of the tv, and there was a kitchen table all in a studio like setting, cozy, nothing fancy, but extremely relaxing.. You have complete privacy and there is a trail through the woods and one to the bay... we were able to use the kayaks they have there and we went out and caught 5 gallons of scallops! That was so fun... I am so ready to go back! We got a good rate on the cabin, the summer time rate is a little steep, but I would say its worth it if you are need of time away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisacrackers
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My husband had reserved a cabin at the Old Salt Works for our wedding anniversary/my 40th birthday/the honeymoon we never had. I love the beaches on the Cape and had stayed in some other cabins that were nearby many years ago so I was quite excited for the trip. I was also thrilled that pets were allowed which meant I could bring along my 2 little dogs. A few days before we were to leave we made the mistake of reading the negative reviews that had been posted. The comments that were made had us so worried that we considered cancelling our trip as we knew it was going to be too late to find somewhere else that had vacancies. Needless to say we decided to keep our plans and make the best of it. When we arrived and opened our cabin we had no idea what would await us, but were so pleased to find that everything was clean and tidy...in fact it was spotless. We were provided with plenty of towels and the linens were all fresh and clean. The kitchen was just right for preparing simple meals during our 3 day stay and the Weber grill was great for grilling the fish that we caught. The screened porch was perfect for enjoying the wildlife and the evening breezes. Yes,there were mosquitoes but anyone from Florida knows that bug repellant is a must this time of year. Access to the gulf was very convenient and was less than a 5 minute drive to some of the most beautiful unspoiled beaches imaginable. It was paradise.
Thank you so much to the Salt Works for retaining that old Florida Gulf Coast feel and giving your guests ultimate privacy. We think your cabins in the woods are perfection and we can't wait to see you next year...if not sooner.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple