All reviews outdoor shower lookout cabin these cabins old florida scallops port st indian pass minute drive lee reed tv bay beaches kayak fishing
Reviewed 28 March 2016

Cape San Blas is less populated and more natural than many FL coastlines. It also is a bit less 'fancy'. For those of us who like empty beaches and lots of nature without spending tons of money, this location is perfection. We stayed several days at the Old Saltworks Cabins, and we had a great experience. Our cabin had no frills, but it had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. We cooked, relaxed on our porch, and slept with the windows open to hear the birds all a quick walk to the bay and a short drive to the public beaches. We even had great internet for the rainy days. It was heavenly, and we will be back again.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lorna5000
Reviewed 11 August 2015

I'm an outdoor type, rough camped throughout Canada. So, roughing it is not an issue. We picked this place because we wanted to try scalloping. When we got there and started the drive back I thought this was going to be really cool vacation. When we got inside the cabin, the floors wear soft and had a rubbery feel. It definitely needs a lot of work. The wooden path or dock leading out to the lake was shot. We tried to pull our yaks out to the bay, but they were so bad we had to walk beside it. That's when we sunk into some serious yuk. I thought oil was bubbling up between my toes. Once out in the bay it was beautiful. We drove around and also notice that the area is not friendly to visitors. Seen a car that had locals rule on their back window. I didn't feel very welcome and we will not return. Sorry for the bad review but just being honest.

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
8  Thank John S
Reviewed 1 April 2015

We stayed for three nights in one of the saltworks cabins. It a basic cabin with minimum frills. What made it a great stay was the location And the suggestions of things to do by the owner. Andrews state park is just down the road. It is a great place to boogie board and catch some Florida sunshine. There is also a back Bay that we walked around for some amazing views of the stars! Lastly, there is history connected to this place so a great chance to include a little education into our vacation.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank tinaaustin
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We visited for the second time in July of 2014. I really like this place and feel bad I did not post a review after the first trip. The first time we were in the North cabin and it was a simple accommodation, perfect for our weekend. This time we upgraded to the Bay House. wow! Well kept up, clean and nice with a screened in porch overlooking the bay.

We spent most of our time in the water followed by the porch and kitchen. Having access to our own dock in the bay was a great touch. The wildlife was plentiful and varied with good fishing. We did spend a couple days at the local beaches which were good, not great.

We will be back and are looking forward to trying out the different cabins as each seems to be individual and inviting.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed here in October of 2013. This place is definitely not the Ritz. Pots and pans don't match. Carpet is a bit worn. Furniture is dated. My pillow was not that fluffy. That said, as soon as you pull into the shell and gravel strewn driveway from the main road, you feel like you're driving into something a bit like Gilligan's Island. You'll be surrounded by tall trees and quiet. The office is more of a funky road-side attraction (with a Civil War diorama, animal skulls, books and assorted history). You'll have privacy, though you may hear the neighbors screen door slam from time to time and perhaps the voices of children. Walking the drives and foot paths to the water at night is a treat. The bay side is very quiet, and you can hear all sorts of things. If I had young kids, I would take them here for sure. They would have plenty of fun just running around the various cabins, and picking up baby crabs by the water. My wife, on the other hand, would think this place a bit on the drabby side -- she prefers something more modern and "cleaner." And yes, this place reminds me a bit of the summer camp I attended for many years, back in Missouri. The owners could do a better job at keeping the place "picked up" (especially the area behind the trash cans), but over-all, I really enjoyed my stay here. And by the way, I have actually stayed at a Ritz-Carlton. And the Ritz is wonderful. But it's not a "summer camp by the bay." (I will likely be booking a few days stay here this fall. The beach is just a few minutes away, with nary a soul on it. Bike and kayak rentals are a walk away. And Indian Pass Oyster Bar is less than a ten minute drive).

Date of stay: October 2013