“Pleasantly surprised by this property!”

La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
Reviewed 11 October 2017

My husband and I spent the first night of our six-day motorcycle trip here. Hubby made the reservations...our criteria were it had to be ocean front and in the St. Augustine area. As we pulled up from the outside, I was like "hmmm...not really impressed, but what the heck, it's only one night." The great service started right at the front desk. The woman saw all our gear and was ready to store everything, but voila, our second floor ocean front room with balcony was ready.

The real surprise was entering our room. The hotel had undergone a renovation a couple of years ago and it showed. The floors were gleaming "scraped wood laminate" instead of carpet...a big plus. The bathroom was well done and again super clean (can you tell I'm a clean freak?) I really love the design details...the barrel chair and love seat were on casters for easy rearranging. There were even two nice TV tray tables that served as indoor end tables that could easily go out to the balcony.

The included breakfast is ordered the night before and they bring it to your room at a time that you choose. It included some hot egg croissant options as well and yogurt and cereal.

No fitness area here, but not to worry, you can run or walk on the beach or along A1A. I did the early morning outside options and got to check out the local real estate. It also has a nice looking outdoor pool.

Lastly, just to let you know, this property is the last family-owned hotel on the island. They care and it shows.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front so you can have the view and the private outdoor balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan S

Reviewed 11 October 2017

I splurged and got a suite with a jacuzzi because I had planned to spend a lot of time relaxing. It had two floors and hoped I'd have a nice view of the ocean, unfortunately a private residence was directly in front of the balconies. I was a little disappointed but it must be a real bummer for the owners of the motel to have it smack in front of several of their "ocean view" rooms. The jacuzzi worked great and was the best thing about the room. I think I must have annoyed the staff when I arrived because of me wanting a room with a tub/view but none were available except the suite so I took the suite. Didn't have a lot of interaction with the staff. The custodial staff was very nice, the gentleman in the office that checked me was very business like. They had a private walkway to the beach and I went out both nights I was there and it was absolutely beautiful, the breeze coming off the Atlantic just made you feel so relaxed! The sunrises were lovely too. The hotel's location was pretty good, close to restaurants (loved Sunset Grille), the lighthouse, pier, Anastasia State park and other historic landmarks, not far from St. George Street. I was a little disappointed in the landscaping, it stated in their description that it had an award winning garden, I'm guessing because of the recent storms they had gotten behind. I know this is something little but being a landscaper I pay attention to things like that. Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Let me start off by saying when I called to start making reservations there Kim was awesome right from the start. Six of us were coming down and we wanted three rooms together. Could not do that at the hotel so Kim suggested the three cottages they have together and we did that. They were so cute. Everyone there were so friendly and helpful and the breakfast they served everyday was different which was good or you could be sent to your room. We chose to all eat together in a room over looking the ocean. So clean everywhere. Thanks again everyone there at La Fiesta .

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We were going to a concert, at the St Augustine Amphitheater, very close to La Fiesta. Even though the property is older, it was a very nice stay. We stayed in a suite, because of the Jacuzzi in the room, always a plus for me. It is a two-story, similar to a small house. There is a king-sized bed upstairs, pullout sofa down. There is a bathroom downstairs, with a shower, water difficult to get warm, but we spent shower time upstairs in the Jacuzzi, which was perfect, with a separate showerhead, so you can rinse off afterwards. There is an electric fireplace downstairs, which is great for the few cold nights we get in Florida. It is very quiet, great pool, and I liked the idea of the complimentary breakfast being delivered. So often, you can miss it, because you don't want to get dressed, get up early, whatever. We found the biscuits, sausage, and eggs to be fine. Not gourmet, but good! The main thing that dates the property is the carpeting, old and dark. Would be fresher with no carpet, just tile.
You're just a short walk from the beach, which was beautiful right after Hurricane Irma.
I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the suite, room S20.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

La fiesta is an older hotel on the beach. Stayed in double room on second floor. Staff is very friendly. Room was clean. Large beach towels provided. Pool area is very nice. No hot tub. A large house has been built between the beach and hotel so you will have to walk a hundred fifty or so yards to get to the beach. View has been obscured by this construction . Ask for ground floor room if stairs are a problem.
Breakfast is brought to your room.. This being said, breakfast consisted of the following, boiled egg, sausage biscuit yogurt, tarts, cereal, and apple, orange juice. Among these you could pick 2 items and a juice. These are delivered at times selected by you. Sausage was microwaved and mediocre. Biscuits were non buttermilk variety and did not meet Southern standards for good biscuits. But ample butter and jelly were provided to cover up the bland taste. I could not eat the tarts due to my diabetes. If you are diabetic, might want to seek other options in the area.
Coffee in room was Seattle's best, which in my opinion they can keep in Seattle, it is nasty strong coffee and no amount of fake cream could tame it. Fortunately lobby area has better coffee available. The hotel lacks a common area for guest interaction except for the pool area.

Suggestions for owners. Make a large common area for buffet breakfast. Add a bar area, after all, you are on the beach.

Unless you are catering only to honeymooners, the delivered breakfast is costing you a lot of labor. And the overabundance of bed and breakfasts in the area will get that business. I did not meet any honeymooning ccouples during visit.

Overall a charming quaint hotel, well maintained, but needs to overhaul and update marketing plan.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family