All reviews rooftop bar birch vine claw foot four poster bed beach drive flatbread rooms are lovely downstairs restaurant lovely boutique banyan trees hotel guests in room coffee within walking distance downtown st beautiful property weekend stay complimentary breakfast
Reviewed 5 February 2018

We drove up from Naples on a Sunday morning in November. We arrived around noon, and were able to check into our room right away. The hotel and restaurant were just what we wanted for a fun downtown adventure. We had brunch on the deck overlooking the Sunday crowds passing by... great people watching. Average food, but great ambiance!
After exploring and visiting the Dali museum, we went to the rooftop lounge for cocktails and tapas! Delightful spot, and again great people watching. Our room was large and very clean... nice big bathtub and extra large shower. Not sure how many other guests were staying at the hotel, because it was extremely quiet, and we were the only ones at breakfast the next morning. I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I visited St. Pete’s lively downtown area!

Date of stay: November 2017
Becca K, Public Relations Manager at The Birchwood, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Hi Jill, so glad you and your daughter had a wonderful stay with us. Hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed 5 February 2018

24 ladies arrived for a January luncheon. We were interested in a mid priced meal with a variety of choices & a room large enough to accommodate our crowd.
Service was good & we all enjoyed our meal choices.
I chose the Trifecta & it gave me a nice sampling of, soup,salad & sandwich.

Room tip: We were there for luncheon.
Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

So glad you had a great Ladies Luncheon with us, Emily! Hope to have you all back soon!

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

What can I say?

I’ll start with the positive. The suite was super clean and very well organized and beautiful.

And that’s about it.

My girlfriend and I stayed for what we thought would be a romantic night.

When making the reservation I asked for a bottle of champagne to be in the room upon arrival as a surprise to my girlfriend.

When we checked in the girl at the front desk told me that they had not put a bottle in the room, because they didn’t know what kind I’d like. This is all well, but they could have called and or emailed me this question, as not to spoil the surprise. Thank you for that.

Next we went down for dinner. Got the menus and water. And then waited about 15 minuets before a waiter asked us what we would like to drink. My girlfriend asked for a Oregon Pinot Noir and it was delicious. I asked if their Old Fashioned was any good, and the waiter stated that it was excellent. It was not. It was sweet and no taste of the spirit, and it had a big slice of orange. An Old Fashioned should have a thin slice of orange peel and not a fully fledged wedge.

Part two the dinner.
Now the second waiter of the night arrived and we were told that their portions was not super big so a three course meal was an option. Great we love food so three courses sounded good.

I ordered the crap cakes, homemade tortellini and a filet minion. My girlfriend ordered the tartare, tortellini and the tuna.

First course arrived and the tartare was good, not excellent but really ok. The crap cake was super sweet, mushy and had a really weird texture. As well as sweet corn. It also came with a firs for me, deep fried avocado, and it was horrible. Who comes up with the idiotic idea to deep fry an avocado? Seriously.

Then after the starter all of a sudden we get bread and butter. What a weird time to bring that on to the table. Wasn’t it supposed to be the first thing we’d get served?

Anyway then the tortellini arrived and it was woefully under cooked. The edges stuck to our teeth like soft caramel. So we send it back.

And now for the main course and a level of pretentiousness unrivaled by anyone.

The filet was delicious it has to be fair. I had ordered it with hollandaise sauce, grilled asparagus and a baked potato. If ask you how many plates this should arrive on? 1 is not the answer. It came on 3 different plates. One for the filet, one for the asparagus, one for the potato and a tiny little cup for the sauce. More plates than would fit on the table. Laughable. The asparagus were as opposed to the tortellini over cooked and very soft. More worryingly the end of the asparagus were cut as opposed to snapped. If you know you cooking you’ll know why that would be noticed. And at 8$ for a tiny tasteless baked potato the joke was on us.

My girlfriends tuna was in one word un eatable. The noodles it came with was under cooked and chewy. The tuna was rubbed in a spice so hot that any other taste was overpowered might have been wasabi.

What you add all this up to a bill in the excess of 150$ the entire experience was a big joke.

10 minutes walk away on Central Avenue it a place called The Mill that two days earlier had served us a much much better meal at 60$ less.

After this disaster we retired to out room, where we were kept awake til 1pm by the happy partygoers at the place next door.

Don’t be fooled this place will rob you of your hard earned money. And they don’t even seem to care.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank nielsostenfeld
Becca K, Public Relations Manager at The Birchwood, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Hi nielsostenfeld,

We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a 5-star experience during your recent stay. Your reservation was made online and we tried to reach out to you, but the information provided was incorrect. Without being able to reach you prior to arrival, we were not able to confirm the type of champagne you wanted or the price range you were looking for. Without those two very important pieces of information, we're unable to put champagne in your room. We have over 27 varieties of champagne and over 42 varieties of bubbles, all with different price points, in our wine library.

We do apologize for the front desk staff inadvertently overlooked the possibility of the champagne being a surprise. We truly appreciate your feedback and since your visit, we have talked to the front desk staff and have also updated our menu. Many of those items are no longer served.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

We recently celebrated our 4th Anniversary at The Birchwood’s downstairs restaurant Birch&Vine. My fiancée called ahead and we had three managers touch our table and thank us for dining with them. The food was phenomenal (local lamb chops) & they gave us a wonderful complimentary dessert. Kelly was our server and was pleasant, well informed, and professional. The Christmas lights and decor offered a beautiful sight of Beach Drive and downtown.
Thank you all for a wonderful celebration.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Had lunch at the Birchwood and their new lunch menu is amazing. I had the Trifecta and I was surprised that you can now choose any salad, soup and sandwich. The new sandwiches are great. Was there for a quick business lunch and I was in and out in plenty of time. Plan to make it a regular stop.

Date of stay: November 2017