“A Beautiful Sanctuary During Hurrican Irma”
Review of Hollander Hotel

Hollander Hotel
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 25 September 2017

I was under a mandatory evacuation due to Hurricane Irma. It was an incredibly stressful and chaotic time. I was worried about my family, my friends, my students (I teach elementary), and my home. The Hollander Hotel was my sanctuary. Every person who I came in contact with treated me with kindness and caring: from Vick at the front desk, to Nick and Will who seemed to be in 15 places at once - always with a smile, to Sheila who greeted me with a hug and told me all about the old St. Petersburg photographs lining the walls, to the maid service members who were incredibly kind. All of these staff members were also in the midst of their own personal hurricane preparations but did not show a hint of stress. The hotel was bustling with harried and worn-out customers and the staff rose above it all. Each person made me feel cared about and safe. My room was so beautiful, the restaurant fantastic, the pool area divine, and the coconut cake in the bakery was heaven sent. I will definitely be back for a meal on the patio and will recommend this special place to all my friends and family. My husband and I will be back for our anniversary weekend celebrations. This place is run by heartfelt people who care about the community and take pride in their work. Bravo, Hollander. You rocked it.

Room Tip: They have ground floor rooms with cabanas that face the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Nick H, General Manager at Hollander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Thank you for staying with us, We are so happy you we were able to be there for you.
it was our pleasure to meet you and to get thru this storm with you.
we appreciate the amazing review and we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed 22 September 2017

I've raved about the Hollander in the past but i'm beyond mere words describing
the comfort and consoling the Hollander provided during my recent Irma evacuee status...the ENTIRE staff put the well being of the guests beyond their own concerns
about the impeding storm...I've never seen an entire staff dedicated to one goal...
the safety of and consideration for their guests...
the Hollander is more than a hotel...it is a home port...
well done all and many thanks...doyles of sanibel

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Nick H, General Manager at Hollander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Larry What a wonderful review--you have simply made our day! (And you've made our team feel so good--they love to hear that our guests enjoy our hotel...
we are so happy everything turned out on a positive note thru the storm. we look forward to seeing you both back very soon

sincerely, Nick H

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Great "old style" hotel with beautiful, clean rooms, a welcoming staff, great bar and restaurant right in the lobby. Close to trolley transportation, or just walking around.
Nice pool and patio bar area. Make for a great weekend get away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool area, much better view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for the Great review, and Thank you for staying with us.
we do hope you will come back and stay with us for more than
one night. There is so much to see in St Pete and we look forward
to seeing you soon. Please remember to call the hotel direct on
your next trip to get your return guest discount..

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We had the occasion to stay there during Hurricane Irma due to being evacuated from our home. Such a nice surprise. The room was great, wonderful restaurant, and pet friendly. We enjoyed the stay so much, we will probably go back just for a "mini" vacation.

Another plus-- the staff could not have been friendlier.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you both for staying with us and Thank you for the Great
review.. we sincerely appreciate it..we look forward to seeing
you back very soon.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hollander. I flew in from NYC to watch the Saturday game in the Red Sox-Rays series on 9/15/17-9/17/17. My flight on Friday night got in very late and the late shift front desk was very friendly, as if I walked in at 2 pm rather than 2 am.

The breakfast buffet was great and worth the price as well. Jennifer makes great omelets. I wanted to mention her name. Elise also waited on me both Saturday and Sunday and was very friendly. No matter how busy she seemed she'd take two minutes to chat if I asked about Hurricane Irma or local places to check out.

The shuttle to and from the baseball game is also a great perk. I didn't catch his name, but the driver was very friendly. The hotel is also conveniently located near Beach Drive and the Marina area. I wanted to check out that area on Saturday before the game.

I didn't check out the pool but it looked very nice. I wanted to get to the game early and check out the stadium, otherwise I may have hung out myself. Saturday afternoon the pool was packed.

The only thing that keeps this from being five stars is my room was not entirely clean. I found several small ants on the dresser and nightstand that I killed with what was around. Maybe they are indicative of the area. Also, the floor looked like someone had splattered white paint on the natural wood finish. At one point I thought I had dragged some toilet paper on my shoe through the room.

Despite that one small hiccup I thought the hotel was great. I'd recommend it to anyone staying in St. Petersburg.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for staying with us and Thank you for the review.
we do hope to see you back very soon.

sincerely, Nick H