“Alway the best”

Price range: US$24 - US$45
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View details, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 January 2021 via mobile

We had our 51st anniversary diner at the Mad Hatter restaurant this week. Great food and service as always. I had the Grouper special and the flavors were Devine. The texture of the fish was perfect and the presentation was just as good. My wife had the scallops ( she usually does) and she was equally impressed. Alway on our list of restaurants to visit when we are on the island. We will be back in March.

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,649)

Reviewed 21 January 2021

The Mad Hatter is our favorite dinner spot. You will not be disappointed! The food is spectacular, the staff is top notch and they pay attention to detail. Sunset is the best time for reservations because you get beautiful views of the sunset on beach, but no matter what time you get a reservation, it’s always enjoyable.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 8 January 2021 via mobile

Omg! What amazing food! Goat cheese pillows, shrimp, black grouper, cheese cake and crepe with fruit ..yum !
The service from Laure matched the room with great recommendations for wine and food. The view at sunset is indescribable beautiful!
Yes! Have few of the sunset. The rest of the staff are warm, friendly. We booked another time for next week. Wish we had found you sooner.
This restaurant is a must do! At some point in your trip. Booking is a must do! It’s so worth it.

Reviewed 6 January 2021 via mobile

This restaurant is tiny but adorable in its decor and feel. You definitely get a Mad Hatter feel.

The food was decent although his Wagyu beef which is odd for a place serving up something of that class.

Speaking of class, apparently our waiter thought we had none because he turned his nose up and my friend and I the entire we were there. Which wasn’t for as long as we intended to be and the money we chose to spend was incredibly less once we were made so uncomfortable.

It was the kind of “fake nice” you’d expect from the shop owner in the movie Pretty Woman. Example: I ordered another appetizer before finishing my first and I got a long drawn out “hmm...How can I get you your appetizer when you haven’t yet cleared your space? And we would like you to order an entree right away with your appetizer” I honestly think he thought we weren’t intending to spend the money on a full meal. He ended up making himself right. I simply wanted to leave.

Unfortunately for them, we love to dine at classy high-end places and had much higher expectations for this place.

Long story short: The restaurant had good food, interesting decor, a tiny space, and fake rude people.

P.s. we are two “normal” women in our thirties but as we were traveling we didn’t have on classy attire (like make people in the restaurant).

If you do decide to go here order the goat cheese pillows, skip the watermelon salad (there’s no spice), the garlic plate was delicious.

1  Thank olivejuice25
Reviewed 27 December 2020

So perhaps its my fault, but I expected a LOT from this little restaurant. We came here for an anniversary dinner on our 4 day get away. I would consider myself well versed at fine dining and I do realize we were on an island get away. But based off reviews and then pricing, I thought I was going to have my socks blown off.... we they were not. The wine selection was average, the food was fine, and to be fair, we felt very safe even indoors during a COVID time. But I expected more. The only flair was the Host, who had a suit to die for. The service was average, there was a view of a parking lot, and a lizard that basically fell from the ceiling onto our table. Honestly, I wish it was better, and when we go back to Sanibel, I will skip this place and spend my money elsewhere.

Date of visit: August 2020