All reviews room efficiency deluxe studio reservation process mom and pop fresh ones full kitchen stayed for two nights private beach access bike rentals on site sister property nice pool the ritz mini fridge front porch tropical winds kitchen area rooms were very clean
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This is a tough review to write. The motel is an old, small motor court run by nice folks that no longer meets the minimum standards for travelers, especially to Sanibel Island. Despite several attempts at upgrades over the years, the place is quite dated. Nice features of the place are the pool (very clean) and landscaping, free washer and dryer (but mind the alligator... literally ... alligator ... when going to the laundry), and overall cleanliness and appearance of the grounds. However, our room small ..... the bathroom tiny ( I could sit on the toilet and wash my wands in the sink at the same time), there was no hair dryer, tissues and shampoo, the Wi Fi was intermittent at best, the smoke alarm had been removed from our room with the wires still hanging out of the box, one of the back window screens looked liked it had been pryed open and the bed was like sleeping on a piece of plywood. Note that the rates here are similar to many other places on Sanibel without similar amenties, water access, etc.. We took this room because nothing else was available. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this to anyone for a future stay.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank 634kennethf
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I certainly don't want to cast aspersions but when you shell out a lot of money for a nice vacation for your family for spring break, all is fair. I would not recommend this place to anyone at any time until some much needed love is given to making this an even good place to stay. At first glance, it is quaint and charming but enter the cottage's main floor bedroom and that quickly goes away. The cottage is almost entirely tiled, which it should be for a location prone to hurricanes and sand, except for the bedroom. The carpet is spongy and moldy and should be torn out immediately. Then sit down on the bed -- the "mattress" actually squeaked, as if it were really an air mattress. The bed is actually loaded on cinder blocks! The linens needed to be discarded 20 years ago and the pillows are terrifying. The bathroom is understandably small, however, shower curtains can be obtained at the dollar store; the fabric one that we had was actually folded in half to accommodate the shower stall and had a nice layer of mold on the bottom seam. The most important things a person wants when she travels is a decent, clean bed and shower, of which there was neither here. I can forgive shabbiness but I can't forgive negligence. We met a nice couple on the beach, which is only 10 minutes away by bike, and the husband said, "Boy, I'd love to take over that cute yellow inn on Periwinkle!", which is exactly what I said! From the amount of money we paid for 4 nights here, at least 4 new beds could be purchased. Linens are not that much at Target or even Wayfair.com. And the aforementioned shower curtains... 25% more love and this place could live up to its quaint and charming descriptors once again. And if you're looking for recommendations for where to rent beach chairs on the beach, don't ask the front desk because they will look at you blankly and respond that their beach chairs are free. Ask again if there is a way to transport said free beach chairs to the beach via bicycle and the facial expression resembles a character from the movie "Scanners". Despite all this, the location cannot be beat for access to restaurants and other entertainment. But if you're planning to get some restful sleep or take a nice, relaxing shower, book elsewhere. If they can take this criticism and make updates, I would consider staying here again but not until then.

Room Tip: Bring your own shampoo, soap, hair dryer and if possible, sheets!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Jillebradley67
Reviewed 26 March 2018

From the outside nice quaint cottage #22. Window AC units! They blew out stale, stinky air! We would turn off at times to air out the smell. My clothes smelled musty, I had to wash extra clothes before I could wear. Cottage was clean except the shower curtain was moldy. For the price of the cottage I did expect new furniture!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Babyruth1990
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

If you’re looking for something on a par with the Ritz, this isn’t it, and it doesn’t pretend to be. But if you are searching for a nice, clean, comfortable place then you should check this place out. Our room was spacious and included a full kitchen with fridge, oven, and microwave. The Inn is old but the management has kept all the facilities in good shape. There is also a very nice pool that was very clean, with a nice deck area for sitting and sunning. Every member of the staff we dealt with were extremely friendly and helpful.
If there is any negative for the place is that it is a bit of a distance from the beach. We found one we could bike to in about 15 minutes, but unless you’re ready for a hike, you probably wouldn’t try to walk there.
I definitely recommend you check this place out.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
GuestSvsMgmt, Director of Sales at Anchor Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for leaving us your review!! We do hope that the next time you come to the island, you remember your stay with us and book with us again, we love returning guests!!

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I try to be objective when writing these reviews, and give the most honest opinion for others to base their decisions. For the money, i would avoid the Anchor Inn. To start, our room wasnt ready because “we dont have enough staff”. I can appreciate that so we decided to go get lunch, hour and a half later we returned, room still not ready. (This not a big place). About a half hour later we were able to get into the room. Certainly not what i expected for $300 per night. The room was small, dated, with a small stove, small microwave,and small refridge with no freezer, 2 twin beds that had to be recycled vintage 1940 mattresses the most uncomfortable beds i have encountered in nearly 50 years of travelling, the airconditioner was mounted in the wall between the two so called beds, bathroom was small, bathroom condiment consisted of a 1 x 3 bar of soap probably from a third world hotel. There were plenty of towels. Parking was marginal but sufficient. The clerk was pleasant and knowledgable of the area. Near by are a few restaurants within walking distance. This motel is way over priced, it is more suited to be a $39.00 a night truck stop hotel.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank David W
GuestSvsMgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Anchor Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Thank you for leaving us your review. Based on your description of your room, I am not sure what room you stayed in so that we could address the bed issues for future guests, as we have no rooms on property with Twin sized beds in them at all. We only have queens or kings on property. I do hope that if you did stay with us you took the time to address your issues with the staff so the staff could of tried to take care of them during your stay.