“Black Diamond Burlesque”

McCurdy's Comedy Theatre
Ranked #1 of 40 Nightlife in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: Nationally touring professional & celebrity stand up comedians weekly shows Wed. thru Sun. with regular host Les McCurdy over 4000 sq ft. state of the art showroom also outer public Green Room holding lounge Established 1988 the new facility is the newest comedy theatre in America the zip code is 34236 three parking garages within two blocks
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Our first visit to McCurdy's was to a see the Black Diamond Burlesque 7th Anniversary show. The prices were reasonable for what turned out to be a really good performance. McCurdy's is well placed only a short walk from Main street where we have visited many times. We ordered our tickets (Selecting our seats) online and claimed the tickets at will call. There is an outer bar (Green room) where you can get a drink and wait for the show but be forewarned they require that you buy two items once inside the theatre. This seemed a bit odd and I'm not sure how they enforce it. They bring food and drinks to your seats, not a bad menu. We will likely go back but only for something special.

All reviews
"big names"
in 3 reviews
"outer bar"
in 2 reviews
"short walk from main street"
"intimate room"
"great seats"
in 22 reviews
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 7 August 2017

After a killer work- week, Friday night at McCurdy's sounded good because we all needed to forget about the workplace(s) and welcome in the weekend with a laugh.

First on stage was Les McCurdy, who got the laughter going. We can always depend on him to get the audience in gear. Then we saw Geno, The Garbage Man; a McCurdy's graduate (by the way.) He is a fantastic local comedian whose humor is worthy of the stage. If you can catch him at any venue, his routine is wonderful. So glad we saw him.

April Macy was the headliner; a very funny comic. She got the place roaring with laughter but there was also some discomfort in the audience due to the nature of her sexually explicit topics.

A word to the wise: if you are not familiar with the comedy of the headliner, check it out before going to the comedy club. You know what I'm saying? Of course you do.

One more thing: there is a two item minimum per person at the table! Drinks are good; food is so-so.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

4.0 star rating 7/23/2017
Saturday night and the place is full. Not packed, but every seat filled. Not crowded but comfortable. Attentive waitstaff. 2 item ( drink or food) purchase minimum per person. Not overpriced at all. A couple of beers will set you back $10 plus tax and tip. So. you get entertained by a couple of comedians and McCurdy, for about an hour and a half or so and you have a fun evening out for not too much. I've been a few times and always seem to enjoy myself. Sometimes more than others, but always have a good time. Service is efficient, I usually just get some beers so I can't comment on the food.
Went with a couple of friends this weekend, and had one of the taller tables at the back. I like to sit up front at the regular tables. The taller tables and chairs are a little uncomfortable for me. Other than that, a good time was had by all.
We'll come back.

1  Thank George T
Reviewed 10 July 2017

OK, we don't go for months at a time and then they call with birthday or anniversary freebies and we take advantage. This was the case last Sunday when we saw John Canfi. Laughed so hard I got the hiccups. Friday night was World Series of Comedy and we saw 9/10 comedians. This event we paid for and well worth it. Some were better than others but since they're only on for 10 minutes, the next could erase the bad jokes of the last one. Two guys really stood out along with some funny women as well. Hope the "winners" do well in LV. Joe, who is the promoter, is close to disgusting. Wish he would not get on the stage. Have seen him before and not enjoyed. Les saved the night by coming out, which is rare lately. Borderline raunchy place and sometimes it's exactly what we all need!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2017

Had been awhile since I had last been to McCurdy's. However, always have a good time. Have seen some great headliners of international note: Kevin Nealon, Caroline Rhea, etc. All have been good. However, last Sunday (7/2/17) saw John Canfi and "split a gut" laughing. He did quite a bit of "potty" humor, which in general I find weak. But that night I could not help myself. Continuous laughter! Also, my food was good. The flatbread special was crisp and delicious and a very generous portion. Another great night for a very reasonable expenditure!