“Always, always great!”

Mediterraneo Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mediterraneo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 1,077 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Washington Blvd
Description: With its modern but classic Italian cuisine and emphasis on artisanal and contemporary Northern Italian style, Mediterraneo is often credited with being the first restaurant to bring authentic contemporary Italian cuisine to Sarasota when it first opened in 1996. Still under the same ownership, Mediterraneo has consistently been rated one of the top restaurants in Zagat. The restaurant has received numerous accolades including the acclaimed Insegna Del Ristorante Italiano awarded by The Minister of Agriculture & Commerce in Rome. With its highest honor, inducting the restaurant into its Accademia Italiana della Cucina "Fine Dining Hall of Fame." Mediterraneo has been rated as Best of the Best in Sarasota Magazine since the first year of opening. So whether you're celebrating a special occasion or grabbing a quick bite to eat, at Mediterraneo you are always assured the best quality food accompanied by excellent service. All of it thoroughly Italian.
Reviewed 18 August 2015

This restaurant is the big sister of Café Epicure. Its menu offers modern but classic Italian cuisine. Alberto, the charming host, is the main ingredient at Mediterraneo, friendly and accommodating he makes your dinner that more special. Our favorite dishes: the Beef Carpaccio with Rucola and Parmigiano, Mozzarella wrapped in Speck, all the Pizzas and the Veal Chop Milanese. Pastas are to die for. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 7 August 2015

We were seeking a late night dinner after a movie and it was raining out, so we looked anywhere on Main Street that was close and came across Mediterraneo. It looked very busy inside but we decided to try it. We were seated promptly in the rear area, asked what we wanted to drink by one waiter and asked for 2 samples of different wines for my wife to sample. They did offer them and we chose a Chardonnay, not oaky, from Italy and enjoyed a glass of each.

Once the regular waiter got around to our table (which took way to long) my wife ordered the gnocchi and I ordered one of the evening specials - Swordfish. I thought for sure when I heard the description of my order that he indicated it came with a side of pasta which is what I wanted. But when the entrées came, there was no side of pasta. I questioned the waiter when it came and he said no; it didn't come with pasta. I asked him to get our regular waiter which took more time than it should have. The waiter that took the order now indicated it did not come with pasta ..... so be it but I know he said that it did come.

I love swordfish, and it was a good sized piece, but the preparation on the base of the plate under the fish on some type of soured, bitter greens that was entirely not eatable just ruined my taste for the swordfish. My wife loved her gnocchi and shared some of it with me but the quantity she actually got was very small in my humble opinion. They could have thrown on another dozen and it would then be a good portion in my opinion.

We did try desert and it was very tasty. The bill came to $75+ tip. Hope your experience is a little better than ours.

1  Thank Alan H
Reviewed 1 July 2015

This restaraunt is top notch. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals here. He had chicken parmesean which was to die for. My meal was the beat mushroom tortellinis I have ever eaten. Service was attentive without being overbearing.
Tiramasu for dessert was the perfect ending.

1  Thank opal_1001
Reviewed 1 July 2015

We were debating a couple Italian restaurants that are highly rated here on TA, however, when we asked the front desk manager for a recommendation, he said Mediterraneo. We drove by and checked the others out, but are so glad we settled on Mediterraneo! First off, our waitress was wonderful! She gave us great recommendations from the menu and timed our food arrival perfectly.

We started with the caprese. This is a must for me every time I go to an Italian restaurant. This one was tops! The tomatoes were huge and the balls of mozzarella were very fresh. The olive oil that accompanied was divine. And, I have had DIVINE olive oil in Italy.

I had the gnocchi with four cheese sauce. I asked them to add pancetta. I am trying to remember how exactly the waitress described the dish, but it was something along the lines of best ever! And, I must concur. My husband always gets the Carbonara at every Italian restaurant. He raved about this one!

I also seem to remember the bread being really good... But with that good of olive oil, you can't go wrong!

We shared the tiramisu and profiteroles for dessert. Both were wonderful. However, the tiramisu was very beautifully presented. The current pic for Mediterraneo shows it. It is presented in a chocolate dish that really compliments the flavors of the dessert. A favorite for me!

We will definitely go to Mediterraneo again when we go to Sarasota!

1  Thank OnHoliday13
Reviewed 29 June 2015

After many vacations in Italy, I can honestly say that Mediterraneo's fare is the most Italian in flavor and portion size I've had in the states. The service is not overly attentive (for me this is a plus, for others, maybe not) but the food comes out quickly, always hot and delicious. I love the sautéed calamari, ravioli, and bacon-wrapped cheese. They were out of a dessert item we ordered last time and, while we were happy to make another choice, they bought us a round of Limoncello to make up for the missing menu item. One of my favorite meals in Sarasota.