“Cake was a disaster!”
Review of Sweet in the City

Sweet in the City
Ranked #31 of 33 Coffee & Tea in Sarasota
Price range: US$1 - US$25
Description: Sweet in The City is a dessert shop and custom cake bakery. The store offers over 32 flavors of mini cupcakes with flavors alternating everyday. If cupcakes don't hit your Sweet! spot we also have Italian gelatos and a fair selection of premium ice-cream. Our coffees are brewed on the spot and we cater in Sarasota and Bradenton for weddings, birthday parties and company events!
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

We just place an order for vegan cake and cupcakes for our daughter's 15th B'day party (Quinceañero). It was an expensive order over $300. As soon as we arrived at the local with the cake, half of the frosting fell off the cake and landed on top of cupcakes. It was a total disaster. To make things worse the frosting tasted too sweet and the cake itself tastes "grainy", dry, and awful. We had purchased cupcakes from this place before and the cupcakes were great. The owner had told me that they had 3 big events that day and I suspect their quality suffered as a result. I did go and try to get a resolution from the owner but he basically suggested that it was my fault because "that never happens to their cakes". He was refused to give any partial or complete refund. Don't trust these people for your events.

Javier D, Manager at Sweet in the City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2017

We are very sad to hear this. We take pride in our work and make sure that every product that leaves our bakery leaves in perfect conditions as per our client’s specifications. When your husband picked the order at 2:00 pm on Saturday, the product that we provided was made EXACTLY to your specifications. I worked very closely with you and even made the last minute adjustments to your order of changing the 6 inch to a 9 because you wanted the top tier to be aligned with the base of the tower. I even called you a day before to get your approval on the color arrangements we were going to use.
Neither the cake nor the cupcakes were melting when they left our bakery. However, when I viewed your photo the arrangement seemed to be partially melted. From years of experience I can tell you the number one reason why this happens, is due to high temperatures or direct sun exposure.
In addition, your husband drove the order to Venice which is approximately a 30 minute drive from our bakery. We do offer a Delivery and Set Up service that would take care of this and any mishap during this time.
As per your comment, I’m glad to hear that you have tried our gluten free/vegan cupcakes before and think they taste great! We made your cake and cupcakes with the same recipe that we’ve been using for years.
I think one star is below our expectations considering how attentive I was to you and even bended our company policy to offer a credit which you refused to take because it wasn’t cash.
I’m confident that our product and service offered to you should have exceeded your expectations. On the other hand, I am aware that due to other factors in which we have no control over, our goal of full customer satisfaction was not accomplished. For this reason I’m still extending our store credit to you and look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

The gelato and cupcakes are wonderful. The owners couldn't be nicer! Have some gelato and take some cupcakes home for later.

Lois,

Thank you for your great feed back! By the way I personally wanted to let you know that for the month of June we will be displaying our mini cupcakes in the front!

Have a great day and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2017

Beautiful display of cupcakes in a small setting with nice outdoor seating. They offer a special some days with a cup of limited flavors for 99 cents. The staff is very cordial and informative. The cupcakes are all home made and are so colorful.

Thank you for your review and highlighting one of our in-store specials!

Have a great day and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

As soon as you walk in you see the gelatos staring at you right in the face. The employee in the front gave me a sample of the rum raisin and it tasted like they had literally whipped the gelato right there in front of me. I ended up getting a four pack of their cupcakes which were also delicious, but I'm definitely coming back for that gelato!

Julio,

Thanks for the great feedback!

Reviewed 17 September 2016

The cupcakes are so cute and moist! It's a little hard to find but when I called them they told me it was right next to Lthe Parkway 8 Cinema -- you cannot miss it! Love this place

Thank you Carlo! we hope to see you soon!