“Pitmaster knows his stuff!”

Pride of the South Bbq
Ranked #186 of 1,079 Restaurants in Sarasota
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I got to stop in for the first time early on this past Tuesday and met Mike the Pitmaster. He really puts his heart into this BBQ, Smoked wings were fantastic. The collard greens and baked beans were delicious and the portions were enough for my wife and I to share. I will be back.

Management response:Responded 17 August 2017

Thank you for the lovely review. Mike puts a lot of love in each meal served and it obviously shows. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

This little bbq place usually serves quality food but tonight's dinners were a disaster. The baby back ribs were over cooked, tasteless and dry. My husband selected brisket which was equally over cooked, tasteless and dry beyond belief. Our side dishes of mac 'n cheese, potato salad, southern greens and coleslaw were marginal.

We have eaten at Pride of the South before and enjoyed the food when it was a newer restaurant in Gulf Gate. However, the quality has declined recently and it is no longer enjoyable.

If I were serving these entrees to anyone, I would have died of embarrassment. If I went to a seafood restaurant and ordered barbecue, then I would give the restaurant some leeway for horrible barbecue. But, we went to a barbecue restaurant and expected GOOD barbecue which was not what we received. In a word, it was horrible.

It will be a long time before we return, if at all.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Luscious, melt-in-your-mouth brisket - a trifecta of gastronomic perfection starting with a hearty base of juicy, fork-tender breast meat, layered with succulent fat, all of which have been sealed with a delicate crust of seasonings. The sizeable dinner portion comes with two sides, your choice of bread, and a drink. I opted for a double helping of greens and was not disappointed. The greens were doctored up with onions, thick pieces of bacon, and seasoned just right. We also ordered a rib and a pulled pork dinner. Both came with large helpings of meat and sides, which were practically inhaled when we arrived at home. This place is hands down the best BBQ I've eaten in Sarasota!

Management response:Responded 17 August 2017

Boy do we love to get these kinds of reviews. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know you had a great experience. Hope to see you again sometime real soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Unbelievably tasty BBQ! The brisket almost melts in your mouth and the ribs are fantastic. I stopped by on a lark just to check it out and now it's in heavy rotation for our family. No one is mad when I say, rather than cooking tonight, maybe I can pick up Pride of the South on my way home. Love the baked beans and slaw as well. Very friendly staff and great owner who will go out of his way to make sure you are satisfied. Can't recommend highly enough!

Management response:Responded 17 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this wonderful review. We are thrilled you had a great experience.

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for a quick lunch before getting to our condo for the week. The short story is we received a feast and will be using them to cater later in the week. Don't pass this place up. Mike is awesome.

Management response:Responded 18 August 2017

Thank you for the wonderful review. Hope the catering order went well!