“A Hidden Gem on the Florida Treasure Coast”
Review of Old Colorado Inn

Old Colorado Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Stuart
Reviewed 21 August 2016

Short visit to Stuart, FL was complemented by a FANTASTIC stay at the Old Colorado Inn (211 South Colorado Ave, Stuart, FL); located off I-95, Exit 101, up SW Kanner Hwy...which turns into Colorado Ave...The Old Colorado Inn is ahead on the right in beautiful scenic downtown Stuart). Mr. Steven Vitale, his wife, Ashley, and Family run a top-notch operation with hands-on "Like You're Family" attention. I will DEFINITELY be back...and I'm bringing the Mrs next time!!! If you're visiting Stuart, Port St Lucie, Jensen Beach, or Palm Beach Gardens and you don't stay at this quaint Inn, you're just plain missing out! Thank you Steve and Ashley!

Room Tip: A front or rear located room, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Shaun M K
Steven V, Owner at Old Colorado Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2016

Shaun, thank you so much for taking the time to post your recent review. We are so glad that you felt that we treated you like part of the family. That is our goal and we are glad that you felt welcome and appreciated at our hotel. Hope to see you again some time in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2016

Stuart in Florida enjoys a truly Historic Down Town unlike most of the 'Brown Signs' liberally sprinkled around Florida Signposting 'Historic Downtown" a compact,diverse area and sat in the heart is The Old Colorodo Inn. The Hotel is a quirky collection of buildings situated a block from the River. Close by is The Stuart Heritage Museum located in an old Building and full of interesting Facts about the past History of Stuart.
Steven the Owner/Operator is willing and helpful however there were a number of issues that disappointed my Wife and I that were mostly operational. We stayed in The Key West Suite an oversized Bedsit, that was entered almost directly on to the Street and on the ground Floor. The room had simple 'Key West' Colors and though adequate in equipment terms was somewhat sparse in its fittings and Decor. The Bathroom was small and only had a single very small Wash Basin and also the fittings (Lights) in the Bathroom were rusty and the Room perhaps because of its location to the Water smelt 'musty' throughout our two night stay.
Steven had been helpful on the phone as the website did not allow me to book direct when accessed, however completely overlooked a special request I had made and made no mention of it till I pointed it out. He apologized profusely, but this illustrates that the operation of the Hotel is flawed. In spite of (at his request to telephone an hour before arrival) he was engaged upon a Telephone call that by his own admission was nothing to do with the Hotel but his other business as a Lawyer, and then did not have the details that he had taken from me over the phone and it seemed as though he was unprepared for our arrival. We were given an internal tour of the main building and he pointed out that the Bar/Restaurant area was 'Rented Out' why he made that point is lost to me and did not make us want to use it, it was almost as if 'it has nothing to do with me'. It is part of the Hospitality offering and under his Roof so he should publicly 'own it'.
For us it took too long to get to our Room after a long journey.
Breakfast is delivered to the Room, however no mention was made of the fact that a Bag would be hung on the outside of our Door with the Breakfast inclusive offer and we discovered it only when leaving the room. Once again an operational issue.

Steven did give us a Tour of the other Buildings and provided the History of them and we would stay in one of the Cottages with Pool access if we visited again.

All in all a pleasant but not particularly memorable visit and perhaps Steven who appears to do everything at the Hotel, should hire some help and focus on the Hospitality Business. Running a Hotel is not merely about ;gladhanding' Guests it is about attention to detail and delivering Service. On this visit 5.5 out of 10.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Pool access Rooms/Cottages.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Steven V, Owner at Old Colorado Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Hi Chris. As you know, I am very sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations during your stay with us. We have dedicated a large part of our lives renovating these historic structures and operating this boutique hotel to the best of our ability so that folks like you can come experience the Old Florida charm that Historic Downtown Stuart and our properties have to offer. We strive to provide superior hospitality and we are sorry that we missed the mark with you. As you mentioned, I do have to operate two businesses in order to provide for my large family and maintain these historic properties. On the days that you stayed with us, my wonderful assistant, Rosie, who helps me at the hotel and lives on the premises, was on a well-deserved vacation, and my secretary for my real estate law practice happened to be working from home. Therefore, you may not have received our usual excellent hospitality that so many other guests have written about in their reviews. You will be happy to know that I have hired an assistant manager who will assist us during our upcoming busy season. I am especially sorry that you did not receive the flowers that you ordered in advance, but I am glad that I was at least able to accommodate you with the full refund for the third night of your reservation that you needed to cancel due to your unexpected business meeting. I am glad that you enjoyed the historic charm of our town and my tour of our vacation rental houses and the tour of our old photos and hotel memorabilia that my son, Christopher, gave you when you checked in. Thank you for expressing your opinion about how we should better explain the operation of the restaurants on our properties. All three of the restaurants are rented to independent operators and most guests have provided positive feedback about their dining experiences. However, guests need to know that they should contact the applicable restaurant manager if there are any issues with their dining experience. Thank you again for your feedback and suggestions. We wish you the best.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

We stayed in the Cottage room and loved it. Everything from the chocolate chip cookies sitting on the table when we walked in to the enclosed patio area in back where we could sit and hear the live music from the place next door....perfect (note: the place next door closes around 10 so the music won't keep you up). The owner was really nice and really goes out of his way to make your stay pleasant. This was our first time visiting Stuart and we also really liked the proximity to the water. It was a less than 2 minute walk to the boardwalk that leads to a few restaurants and a little park on the water. Overall, just a very nice stay and we plan on visiting again at some point.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review. I love Rosie's chocolate chip cookies too. We're so glad you enjoyed the Coastal Cottage. I like to call the enclosed patio area behind the cottage "Jimmy Buffet's" backyard since you can hear the music from the adjacent tiki restaurant when they have occasional live music. Thanks for pointing out that the restaurant closes early. Closing time is actually 10:30 p.m. Like you, most folks enjoy the convenience of having a fun, full service restaurant close by, but appreciate the 10:30 closing time when it's time to get a good night's rest. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

This is our third trip to the area, I am amazed that we just found this gem! Absolutely the most adorable area!! I love that it's so quaint and the history! There is so many things to see. Adorable town. This cute little hotel is on the middle of it all. The owner met us and checked us in and gave us a little tour. He was super nice and very accommodating. We will be back!

Stayed: July 2016

Wow! Thanks for you glowing review. We must think alike, because I often refer to our charming downtown Stuart area as the "gem" of the Treasure Coast. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

A delightful stay. Steven, owner, and staff wonderful. A Key West feeling in the historic district of Stuart. Great location. Spotless rooms and comfortable bed. I walked less than a minute to the Riverwalk and Oyster Bar restaurant (a wonderful place). As promised a breakfast of my choice at check-in was delivered to my door in morning. My room (#10) had a king , full kitchen and sitting area. Pride of ownership everywhere.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. I love the Riverwalk restaurant too. In addition to great food and service, they have a classic exposed 100 year old brick wall and quaint antique flooring similar to the antique heart pine flooring at our hotel, so I think the dining experience there nicely complements a stay at our historic hotel. Thanks again for your patronage and we hope to see you again in the future.

The Old Colorado Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stuart
2.5 km away
9.3 km away
Vistana Beach Club
Vistana Beach Club
#1 of 1 in Hutchinson Island

Been to Old Colorado Inn? Share your experiences!