“Laid back small cafe”

Ranked #1,361 of 2,490 Restaurants in Tampa
Description: (813)221-5150
Description: (813)221-5150
Reviewed 7 April 2015 via mobile

My host from the Airbnb recommended this place. It is in a changing neighborhood. I walked by myself but during the day. Good healthy choices for food. Great coffee selections too. Worth a visit

Reviewed 9 January 2015

I finally got to check this place out for lunch with some co-workers. We had no idea what to expect. The place was much smaller and with a piece mail set up than I envisioned. It's definitely more of coffee and chill place. However, that's not to say the food isn't good. It is good. I tried the Rebel Rebel turkey sandwich on the spelt toast. Generally, it's a pretty basic sandwich but I liked the toast! I also tried a special salad of curry quinoa with apples, almonds, cherries and green onions. This was delicious.

A co-worker had the MyCubano sandwich. He said it was delicious though it was definitely messy. He also got the minestrone soup. He liked it but it really did look pretty thin. I typically think of minestrone as hearty. Maybe because this was a vegetarian variety they didn't bother trying to make it hearty.

I say the place is semi-self serve because I had to go dig for my water bottle on the bottom shelf of a cart. The free water was seltzer and I don't drink carbonated stuff. You're also responsible for putting up your own trash and getting your own refills. This isn't a negative, just a report.

I would totally pick this place as a location to hide away at and grab a salad, cookie and coffee.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Cafe Hey is perfect for lunches and has some great vegan options. The staff are friendly and approachable. If you go on open mic night be sure to arrive early to get a table. Only thing that could be improved was that the open mic host was a bit abrupt in getting people to be quiet before the acts came on (couldn't tell if he was joking with them or being rude..!) Aside from that, would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I drive an hour every other weekend to eat here and am always pleased. The counter staff is usually rude except for the skinny guy with a beard and tattoos but the food more than makes up for it. The rebel rebel is my favorite and the avocado is always consistent. The quinoa is always perfectly cooked no matter what it's in and the beans and greens soup I had yesterday was incredible. It's in a sketch section of old downtown Tampa but not anything to worry about. I've never been to Oregon but this place makes me think it would fit in there as it is very earthy and green(save the planet hippy chic). The coffees are good too with my favorite being the gorilla hug. If in the area I highly recommen!

1  Thank CanesFanKen
Reviewed 5 November 2013

First, the good stuff. This is a non-chain coffee and tea restaurant. Kind of a hipster place. It's small on the inside, but based on the other customers, clearly a good place to go for some coffee or tea (lots of varieties) and get some work done.

The menu is mostly basic, but they have a number of vegetarian options for your veggies and vegans out there. I got their Cuban sandwich, and while not the best Cuban ever, certainly tasty and very enjoyable. Excellent bread, tasty pork. Nothing that I can really say about why it wasn't the best, but you know how it is, sometimes you just enjoy something more than another. Don't let that detract from the café though - it was a really good sandwich.

We were just drinking water, so I can't comment on their coffees and teas, but like I said, it was an large variety and probably worth trying. They do an open mike night that won some best of Tampa award or something, so that might be worth checking out for you poetry lovers out there.

I'd definitely come back. We liked it here, and the staff was very friendly and even allowed my girlfriend to taste their kelp salad (though why she would want a taste of kelp salad is anyone's guess).

My only issue is the location. It really is in a crappy part of town, near the highway overpass. It's not a safe area, but it's fine during the day. We saw a few college students and a couple of women on their own, so clearly it's safer than it looks. But again, I'm not so sure I would go walking around this neighborhood at night.

Been to Cafe Hey? Share your experiences!