“Upmarket Backpackers style hotel”

Historic Tavernier Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Tavernier B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights so we could visit Key West and general area. Having read the damning reviews I was rather concerned about what to expect, but as the price was one of the cheaper hotels on Booking.com, I went open minded.
BUILDING:
This hotel has almost 2 sides to it as far as amenities are concerned.
It is an Historic building dating from the time of the 'wreckers' and is trying to keep that image - so naturally it is not expected to be modern.
There is work going on outside to provide disabled access - not a problem - just negotiate around it! The car park at the rear has all new fencing to enclose it and lots of nice shrubs planted. There is an outside gravel patio section with Adirondack chairs provided + use of a modern gas barbecue.
RECEPTION
I agree with previous reviews that reception needs some organisation in order to present a better image to guests.( reminded me of the clutter in a backpackers). However we arrived at 1pm, found reception open, the receptionist at first seemed a little brusque, but was most helpful as we asked for a room at the back which would be quieter - no problem and we were able to have the key within 30 mins of arriving.
THE ROOM
The room was a little on the small side, but we have had smaller! Bedside drawer units both sides of bed with a lamp on each, dresser with drawers in large alcove. Standard lamp, Flat screen TV, air conditioning unit under window and large king-size bed. This was very comfortable and the bedding was very clean. Small problem - the bottom fitted sheet was slightly too small and popped off one corner. Strange wardrobe built on wall - needs rethinking as looks terrible, but it did the job!
SHOWER ROOM
Yes this is very small. If you have been on a cruise you know what to expect! No good if you are large as toilet is very close to wall! However there were 4 large fluffy white bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 face cloths + very nice complimentary toiletries!
COMMUNAL KITCHEN
This again reminiscent of a backpackers.No T/Coffee facilities in room, but in here was a coffee maker, microwave, fridge/freezer and free use of washer/dryer.
LOUNGE
There is a small comfortable seating area with plenty of tourist leaflets and free use of a PC and printer. WiFi in all rooms if you have your PC with you.
OVERALL IMPRESSION
This is overpriced for the facilities but the cost is driven up because of the Keys location.
Ideal for an overnight stop.
With a little effort it could be much nicer.

Room Tip: Back rooms upstairs are not subject to traffic noise
3  Thank Afartribe

Reviewed 24 February 2013

The hotel is very hard to find in both directions. Poor signage. Parking lot small, unpaved. The walkway from parking lot to lobby was under construction making it difficult bringing luggage in and out. After hours pieces of plywood were placed over the rubble in the walkway and not secured making it a trip hazard especially for the handicap, which my husband is.Rooms are sparse, no phone in room, no daily room service only when requested. Overall the rooms were clean and inexpensive for the area.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I spent a rainy night with my wife here. The window unit A/C was being pounded by the rain. When the rain finally stop the other guests took turn opening and closing the their doors. My wife didn't sleep at all and begged me to take her home. We were to stay two night but left very early the next day. We will not return.

Room Tip: Please make this your very last resort.
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We must of been lucky. At first impression (front desk) it is horrifying! A big, dirty, cluttered mess. I thought I'd made a mistake...the room: very small, only one plug for AC, humidifier, clock, TV all plugged into a powerstrip. No outlet in the bath. Our room was clean, actually very clean. Towels and linen were in good condition and the bed was comfortable. No bugs. It is however very old and rustic. They also have a washer/dryer you may use for free. I would compare this to an upgraded hostel with everything being private and clean. You get what you pay for - it wasn't that bad. I would stay again. Room service only one time per week.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see a room first and keep an open mind, lol. Were so many reviews all over the place t...
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I found a reasonable price on a web site comparing to others (overseas) that was the only reason to get this accommodation. Unfortunately since the first day I arrived to this place and saw a very awful entrance, the street and way in were under construction. The entire facility is too old and the cafe looks terrible. The major problem is that there is no person in charge after 6pm and before 9am. We have many problems with some guests who made a lot of noise and disturbance. Nobody took care of this situation and we must called the police to finish the problem, because we couldn't sleep and felt unsafe. Next day I came back and got mad because nobody did housekeeping in my room. Then I claim this issue to the only phone they gave us in case of emergency, but they say they never take care of the rooms? And which web site I booked in? The people around the place and inside were drank and drugged, except some old people, the rest were trash and nasty. Besides, they charged me $60 deposit and say they will refund this fee after 10 days. I'm still waiting. The bottom line is I NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
1.8 km away
0.4 km away
Mangrove Marina
Mangrove Marina
#1 of 1 in Tavernier

Been to Historic Tavernier Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!