“Beach Beach Beach”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 31 October 2017

Mostly under construction during our visit but Heather was so accommodating ... When complete the renovation will be beautiful .. One could not ask for a better location ,, Sloppy Joes restaurant on the premises is a plus as well ..

Room Tip: The Old tower features Beach Views from every room
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
GMBBR, Front Office Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Dear JLeggs,
We are delighted you enjoyed your vacation here at the Bilmar Beach Resort. We take great pride in guest service and clean facility. We hope you will return soon to experience the new changes here at the Bilmar beach resort. Sincerely, Michael Flowers – Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,207)

Reviewed 30 October 2017

I just took a survey from my recent stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort. My wife and I were very disappointed in our 13 day stay. First of all I had requested a ground floor room for Sept. and was told that I would have to pay $25 daily for ground floor guarantee. I stated that my wife and I both have medical issues and needed to be on ground floor. As it turned out I had to cancel and reschedule due to the Hurricane that hit Florida. When I called to reschedule for the month of October, I was told that no one could request ground floor room because of a remodel. When my wife and I arrived we ended up on 6th floor. I discovered that I had height issues but I stuck it out since we had just driven 800 miles and were worn out. We discovered that ground floor rooms were occupied and were very disappointed that we had been lied too. This was my forth stay at Bilmar but my last two stays were ground floor. We needed ground floor because of our medical issues, but I won't go into detail there. Room costs are way to high for room quality. Bathroom size, phone that didn't work, toilet that rocked forward, air conditioning that wouldn't cool room, tv that you can't regulate the sound volume, above room noise, bugs in bathroom, maid service that doesn't exist. When you put sign out for room service asap and the maid just walks on by without service. We had two days during our stay that no maids came to our door. It's not any fun to lay in bed and perspire when you are paying that kind of money to be comfortable. Would you not agree to that? My wife and I talked about these issues and we decided this was our last visit to the Bilmar. For the price we paid, we should have had a much better experience. We stopped on our way home and stayed in a large suite that was great for a lot less money. I am posting this as well on trip advisor so that my experience gets reviewed by all.

Room Tip: Expensive for the room value
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Larry S
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Dear Mr. Starnes, I am greatly disappointed we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit to the Bilmar. I see your first floor request on your September reservations but at the time of your rebooking we thought the room renovations would be occurring on the first floor of the 4-story building during your rescheduled October visit which is why we reserved the alternative option. Due to hurricane delays our schedule has changed 4 times and we are finally on track to complete all renovations by mid-December. I assure you my team would not lie to a valued and returning guest and I apologize your original request did not get noted so we could honor it when the work on first floor was delayed. I wish any medical issues had been brought to my attention before or during your 13 days stay so I could have made an attempt to minimize any inconvenience. I sincerely apologize for any deficiencies you had in your guest room and with housekeeping service. We have 24 hour service to address any room issues within our control. The current room renovation will address several of your concerns including enlarging the bathrooms in all Studio rooms and adding a “barn” door to create more space. I will have the other items addressed by the facilities manager. I truly hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your patronage and provide you’re the service level you have enjoyed on previous visits. I would be happy to personally assist you with a future reservation and would try to make amends for the experience you had this year. Clyde Smith - General Manager

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

My self & my elderly mom arrived at midnight to find the hotel under serious construction which I was not previously advised of after having reservations for months. There was no other patrons at the desk and it took over 15 minutes to get checked in. I was told where the room was & my mom & I lugged our luggage to where we were told to go. But, all the room numbers were covered for painting. We lugged our luggage back to the front desk telling him we couldn't find it cause the numbers were covered & I was told, "I didn't know". What??? It's his JOB to know. He said he'd call security. We waited another 10 min at which time he tore the paper off the number & we went in. It reeked of paint fumes. I went back to the front desk & said there is no way I could stay there without getting a migraine. We were moved & told they had just finished that room today & he was surprised they had put us there. I was taken to a room that smelled moldy & the a.c unit didn't work. I called the front desk & told him & he said he'd send security. By this time, it's 1am. Security comes checks the a.c. & says' "that's it". I said that's not acceptable. We were moved to a third room. No one ever offered to carry our luggage or comp us except to give us free breakfast one day. The next morning, at 8am we were abruptly awoken by blaring beeping, bumping & banging. The next morning before 8 am. we were starkly awoken by blaring beeping that continued for 20 min!!! The third morning at 8 am we were woken by banging and at 9 am they started a generator 3ft outside our glass sliding door. I called the front desk and was told I shouldn't have to tolerate that on vacation & it would be taken care of right away. 40min later we were told we could move AGAIN for the 4th time to an area where they won't be doing any work the next 4 days that we are here. Now I get to repack again. Some vacation!!! I was hesitant to come here again after my visit in Dec 2015 where our room was infested with cockroaches to where they had to switch out the refrigerator & then had a mouse in the room that they laid traps for. The mouse was caught in the trap & the front desk was "too busy" to come take the mouse out until I told them I would carry the trapped mouse into the busy lobby. I was compensated 3 night in Dec. I have NOT seen any bugs or mice this trip. Service has always been hideous! I will NEVER NEVER NEVER come here again! Terrible service, inept, rude, unhelpful staff. So disappointed!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear Steffanie, I apologize for the less than hospitable reception you received upon your midnight arrival to the resort. Although we are under renovations in the building your were scheduled to stay I fully agree we are accountable for making your arrival, especially at that hour, easy and accessible. The room you were assigned to had been back in service since the previous Saturday so I believe any paint smell was from the exterior paint completed earlier that day which is why the room number was taped over. I also regret the alternative rooms were not acceptable until your move to the 5th floor deluxe studio. I assure you and other travelers that this is not the normal service levels provided by me and my team. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our valued guests. The renovations and the storm delays have been challenging but we obviously have to do a better job delivering the vacation experience you deserve. I will contact you directly to see what I can do to help the remainder of your visit be more enjoyable. Sincerely, Clyde Smith - General Manager

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

We booked room for a week months ago. We were given a room in the middle of a construction zone. It is ridiculous and dangerous. The desk refuses to do anything about it. We have visited Treasure Island for decades, will be back, but never the Bilmar ever again!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear TangoT,
I sincerely regret apologize the delays in our renovation adversely affected your recent visit. Areas under construction are marked and exterior areas needed demo are closed during the work time. The corridor painters are active in guest areas but they are not doing any demo in those areas. Upgrading an entire property is never easy and we would never want to expose our guests to any dangers and are using a seasoned hotel renovation team to complete the work. The 3-story Beaches building is almost complete and the entire project is planned to be completed by mid-December. I hope you will stop by to visit the new Bilmar on your next visit and allow us the chance to regain your patronage.
Clyde Smith - General Manager

Reviewed 24 October 2017

The balcony view from our 7th floor two queen bed studio room was the best part of the hotel. Publix grocery store is a block away. The beach is really nice, but it is a long walk from the hotel, so if you have any knee/mobility issues at all, this is not the place for you! I think the lobby has been renovated. It will be a while before the entire resort renovation is completed. The resort is just tired. Our bed was clean and comfortable. The room smelled moldy so I cleaned the a/c filter. We could hear traffic outside the door as well as the music from the restaurant across the street. The bathroom is really small, but the kitchenette is spacious. We did make use of it and ate on the balcony for breakfast, enjoying the view. We saw dolphins from the balcony and/or the beach every day! If you are looking for location, you will love this resort. If you like spotless and up-to-date, wait until the updates are completed. The beach is big so it was not crowded. The resort has chairs you can take on the beach, but not umbrellas. Chairs and umbrellas can be rented on the beach. Shells are plentiful!!

Room Tip: a high floor in the tower on an odd numberd floor so you have an ice machine
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear seasideljs,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with fellow travelers. We appreciate your comments on your overall resort experience. We are currently in the process of updating our entire resort. We hope you will return soon to experience the new changes here at the Bilmar beach resort. Sincerely, Michael Flowers – Guest Service Manager