“For the price you pay...”

Gaysha New World Sushi Bar
Ranked #25 of 86 Restaurants in Wilton Manors
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 31 August 2017

We spent $86, not including tip. That included three beers (I think they were $9 each). For the rest, we got tuna jalapeno rolls (6 pieces), a California roll (8 pieces), an assorted fish roll (yellowtail, salmon & tuna - 8 pieces), and a 6-piece salmon carpaccio. This last thing, the salmon carpaccio - I thought it would be thick like sashimi but it was not, it was sliced super-thin like prosciutto would be. And it alone, six sliver-thin slices of salmon (beet-infused, they said, which impacted the color more than the color more than the taste) came to $15! Maybe that's easily $56 worth of sushi in most places, but I've gotten quite a bit more for my money, from places within walking distance of this spot.

Even so - I would have cared less about the price, if the sushi itself wasn't - meh. It was not terrible, but it was lacking in any especially enjoyable flavor. I fully grant you, I might be entirely unaware of what good, authentic sushi tastes like. But I'm used to my tuna/yellowtail/salmon tasting buttery almost, and having a wonderful texture to the bite. I'm used to my wasabi trying to burn a hole through the top of my head. This wasabi was bland - a word I never thought I'd use to describe wasabi. The seaweed wrap around the yellowtail jalapeno roll was chewy, I had to fight to bite through it.

I might try this place again to give it a second chance. But this is the third place where I've eaten sushi in the Wilton Manors gayborhood, and from both a cost and a taste perspective, it places @ the bottom of the three.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Great little sushi bar. Super cozy with a wonderful vibe, friendly staff and delicious food. I had a wonderful time with a friend at this place. Nice and intimate.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

Maybe I'm biased because I am an avid customer of Galanga Sushi right down the road. But we ate here once and we found it to small and crammed inside. The staff was friendly and the sushi was definitely good quality, as you would expect... pricey. I would recommend this restaurant for a quiet early dinner before it gets crowded.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

We came to this restaurant at the advice of friends for a casual meet up dinner. The restaurant is extremely small and for a table of four, there was only one option for us...in the back, by the kitchen. The food was unremarkable. It seems to have a local following with single bar stools in front of the sushi chefs and casual conversations were easily overheard since it is so small. If you are meeting friends and catching up on life...choose another place if there is more than four in your group. Average cuisine at best.

1  Thank Alan A
Reviewed 4 March 2017

I don't do reviews often , but this place is veneer disappoints, every time i am in lauderdale i stop in and the Chef (Owner operator) is there and cooking up something amazing! the Ramen is fan friggan tastic!