“Wasps.”

Paradise Hills Winery Resort & Spa
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

My family and I decided to plan a small girls trip to Paradise Hills this November. I poked at reviews and it seemed like a good deal and the place looked really nice. We chose the North Woods Cabin and upon check in he staff at the desk was great. We received our keys and headed to our cabin. When we arrived at the cabin I went in solo at first just to make sure everything looked good. When I opened the door there was a wasp hanging on the screen I carefully went around him and inside. I told the rest of the family to come in. The cabin was nice. As I headed upstairs to one of the 2 suites I felt something sting me and there was a wasp on my shirt. I thought that maybe the one from the door somehow made it onto my shirt. I killed the wasp and went down to get my bags and noticed that the wasp that was originally on the screen door was still there. It puzzled me but I went ahead and brought my bags in. My mother stayed behind while myself, my aunt and grandmother went to Walmart to get a few necessities. When we came back into our cabin my mom let me know there was another wasp and she killed it on the mantle. We all showered and went to bed. The next morning we headed out for our day and when we arrived back I went upstairs and went into the closet to grab and extra pillow and found a dead wasp. At this point I was becoming a little concerned because my aunt is allergic to wasps and did not want her to get stung by one. My grandmother went to get a shower and noticed a bite on her ribs that looked to be a spider bite or other type of insect but that was not there when we checked in. As my aunt started to try ready for bed I heard her yell and she come out of the bedroom and said she was stung by a wasp that was in her bed. This was at 9:20pm on our last night and we had to leave because of the amount of wasps and stings That myself being pregnant received,my aunt being allergic and my grandmother who was bit by some insects and had to drive 5 and a half hours home. I contacted the manager and the response I received was that they can not help the occasional pest occurrence and they have a pest guy that's comes to manage the property. An "occasional" pest occurrence is one every couples of days not 4-5 wasps and stings in 1 and a half days. I have worked within the hospitality industry in guest services and I know that when there is an issue like this it needs to be taken care of and made right. I responded to manager and told him I believed there could be a nest within the cabin and have not received a response back. We will not be back to this property. Very disappointed.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Ilke L, Owner at Paradise Hills Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Cdavis32,
We are saddened to hear of your experience. We wish you had mentioned something to us upon your arrival or anytime that you were here for the 2 days..... not 1 day after your departure. Perhaps we could have provided you with an alternative or taken a look at what was going on... I can assure you, there are no wasp nests in the cabin; had there been one... your experience would have been much worse.
We have responded to your emails regarding this issue but we are not able to provide a refund of your stay for the presence of a few wasps.
Since your review, we have done a thorough search of the perimeter of the cabin and we have not found any outside attached hornet's nest either.
Unfortunately, I cannot speak to what may have happened. Colder temperatures drew the wasp inside through an open door? Or they tagged along on someone's clothing? Really, I don't know.
We are located and surrounded by the Chattahoochee National Forest in a wooden setting with nature all around us. We really cannot avoid the occasional outside critter getting in. We also do not provide a refund for a few wasps; as you requested.
Perhaps a more conventional 'resort' hotel would be a more appropriate choice for your next trip.
We aim to make all our cabin guests happy. Some things are just out of our control.

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Terrific couples or family get away in the north Georgia mountains. Comfortable cabins to accommodate groups large and small. Be sure to check the list of amenities you might expect at your usual travel accommodations. The usual offering of shampoo, conditioner and lotion are not to be found here. And no hair dryer is available so bring your own. Good point - the shower is very good with good water pressure and a massage shower head.
A lovely spot at the lodge serves as a gathering place for drinks (beer or wine) and a mountain view overlooking the vineyard.
Within easy travel time to area attractions and some really good dining or shopping to cookout at the cabin.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Ilke L, Owner at Paradise Hills Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Candy2722, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and pass on your recommendations. Yes, you are correct. We are not the "typical" resort experience... we offer a hybrid between the private cabin rental experience and an "inn" experience with other amenities and guest services.
To fill in the gap, we offer a Paradise Hills Pantry where we offer small shampoos, conditioners, Ibuprofen, toothbrushes and any other forgotten amenities to purchase. I hope someone mentioned that to you.
All our cabins DO have hair dryers in them for use by our guests. I will, personally, make sure that there is one in the cabin you stayed in.. and put one in it if it is missing. We appreciate your feedback as an opportunity to better serve our guests.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Went for a long weekend with the family. Loved the cozy cabin with large jetted bathtub. Comfortable beds. Great front deck with rocking chairs and dining suite. Grill provided. Saturday afternoon was lovely as we sat outside on the deck and listened to the live music at the lodge. Wonderful spa facilities and great massage. A wonderful getaway.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Ilke L, Owner at Paradise Hills Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review us. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of all the services we offer; cabin, spa and wine. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Come back again soon!

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Wonderful anniversary getaway in a gorgeous setting, cozy cabin, vineyards, soothing spa treatments and yummy wine tastings. Ilka, the proprietor, is also a terrific massage therapist. The cabin (Dancing Creek) was very pretty and private, with a hot tub. Lots of local food options. We had great Italian at Michaelee's. Much to do, still, a beautiful spot to do nothing. Will be back.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Ilke L, Owner at Paradise Hills Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

MichelleUbben, Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are thrilled to hear that we contributed to a wonderful anniversary weekend. Thanks for the kind words on my massage skills... I believe you can be great when you do something you are passionate about. We are passionate about the place we offer to our guests as an escape from the everyday stresses. I look forward to seeing you again in the future. There is something to do (or not do) here every season.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

My girlfriend found this place and wanted to go for a romantic getaway so we booked a 2 night stay and headed to the mountains. Check in was easy, guy at the desk was very enthusiastic about his job. Got to the cabin and we were disappointed we did not have a view of the mountains even though the description of the cabin specifically said “offers a mountain view” We had a view of trees. The cabin itself was nice on the inside. After checking in we went to Helton’s creek falls, afterwards we attempted to eat at Pappy’s riverside as it was recommended when we checked in but it was already closed at 7pm on a Wednesday. Ended up going into Blairsville and trying Fatz.

When we returned we discovered we had neighbors in the cabin next door, and they brought their children, to stay in a couple’s cabin. The kids ran around outside our cabin and theirs screaming for no apparent reason even though it was after 9pm. The parents also spent a significant amount of time outside smoking. The combination of screaming and smoke prevented us from being able to enjoy the evening air on the porch.

Since we could not sit outside we opted to try out the whirlpool tub which was very cramped for 2 people. The shower was also very small for even just one person. The bathroom was quite large and could have easily fit both a larger tub and shower. Another issue we noted was the curtains in the kitchen and bedroom both fell down when we attempted to open them as they were only held in place by small tension rods.

The next morning we were awakened before 7am by someone driving around on an orange lawn mower with a trailer. The smoker parents next door also had driven there in a truck without a muffler and must’ve had several errands to run that morning as they kept coming and going and seemed to be making as much noise as possible giving the truck too much throttle and spinning the tires on the gravel driveway. We got up earlier than planned and went to Helen for the day to escape the inconsiderate neighbors. Luckily they were gone when we returned. Not sure how the front desk staff allowed someone with children to check into a cabin specially listed as for being for couples. The second evening was more enjoyable.

The next morning we enjoyed visiting with the goats behind the office that we did not notice when we checked in. It’s a shame that the disrespectfulness of others tarnished what could have been a nice peaceful stay. Of course an actual mountain view would have been nice too.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

GwinnettGuy,
Thank you for providing your feedback. Yes, our staff are enthusiastic about their jobs and they are passionate about offering the highest level of customer service.
Over the last 1-2 years, yes, the trees have grown significantly. We are in the process of doing tree work to offer the beautiful mountain views that are beyond those trees. The last few hurricanes have put a delay on that... for the more pertinent needs of our community.
For future reference, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any issues with other cabin renters. We do NOT allow more than 2 guests per 1 bedroom cabin so any other occupants happened without our knowledge. Certainly, unsupervised children who do not respect the privacy of other guests are NOT common practice. If we knew about it, we would have put an end to that behavior.
It sounds like the positives of the rest of your visit with us made for a memorable stay. We do make every effort to accommodate each and every guests to the best of our abilities. We hope to see you again in the future. We can recommend a slightly larger cabin with more seclusion, if desired.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blairsville
18.4 km away
30.9 km away
Don Quijote Lodge
Don Quijote Lodge
#4 of 5 in Morganton

Been to Paradise Hills Winery Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!