“Such incredible food...”

A Taste of Puerto Rico
Ranked #49 of 206 Restaurants in Brunswick
Reviewed 4 November 2016

We came across this place by accident....ran into some car trouble on our way down to Florida. As we were strolling by we noticed this restaurant, and thought we'd stop by to check it out. Lucky us! this place is amazing. Delicious home made food at great prices. There is a buffet of sorts. You chose what you want, and pay by the weight (this place isn't fancy, but casual dining room is there if you want to eat in) We had fried pork chunks, braised pork, stewed beef with onions, rice with pigeon peas, rice with corn and bacon, black bean stew, red bean stew, fried plaintain, tostones, yucca. OMG...delicious. but my absolute favourite was the Puerto Rican lasagna. (Yes we tried as much as we could) Ray (one of the owners...this is a family run place) explained the dishes to us, described them, and even gave some samples. We were hooked, so we stayed for an early dinner. The meats were melt in your mouth good, rice and beans so flavorful. There was not one thing we had, that we aren't dying to go back for again. If we weren't 600 kms away, we'd be there for dinner tonight. We had the cheese flan at the end of our meal. It came out looking like a dessert you'd pay big money for anywhere else. Delicious...and garnished with candied papaya, whipped cream and lime zest....a little sprinkle of nutmeg. For $2.50...yep you read that right $2.50 for one of the best desserts i've ever had. Also, if you require it, most of the food here is gluten free. they make everything too, so they can tell you what's in it, and how it's made. I have celiac, ate all those things listed, and I was perfectly fine... Check this place out. Cuban sandwiches too, we didn't try them, but they looked impressive.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

We stopped in for dinner and found the food to be outstanding. The service only added to the charm.

The pork is delicious and had a taste of the tilapia, which I normally don't care much for but found the coconut sauce to really make the dish great. Everything we tried was fantastic and we will definitely stop in again!

Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

This restaurant is located in a strip mall and does appear somewhat warehousey when you first enter. There are a few stations, kind of cafeteria style, where the food and drink are dished up. Now, if I read this I would think, interesting but I'll skip this for a seafood place on the island. I would be wrong.

You often hear about the little hole in the wall joint where the food is incredible. This is one of those. The staff are from the island, and I am not talking Saint Simons. The different types of "protein" are excellent and many of the sides are unique to the Caribbean and Spanish South America.

Go to the hot station and and get the special. That gives you a protein and two sides. They have different types of pork, chicken, and beef, as well as beans. Then choose your sides. Different types of yucca, plantains, etc. On repeat visits, they do cook to order, so you might also give that a try, but I have generally gone with the buffet style and never been disappointed. A friend from PR did do the special order, and told me "OMG - this is better than mom's". It completely surprised and pained him to say it. But that's good for you!

Give this place a try. Excellent food, and in this case the name of the restaurant is completely reflective of what you get - and what you get is incredible.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

Finally found the time to stop by for lunch. Wish I had found the time sooner, it was that good. Since it was lunch, we went with the sandwiches. A Cubano and a Jibarito, with sides of tostones (fried green plantains) and amarillos (fried yellow plantains). The sides were excellent and the tostones are fresh cooked when ordered. The Cubano was as good as I have had anywhere, to include Little Havana, Key West, and Puerto Rico. The Jabarito is a sandwich that uses plantains instead of a bun. We had the pork and it was the high point of an excellent lunch. The atmosphere is very lunch counter, clean but, nothing to rave about. The servers were excellent. However, the service itself was a bit slow. Lunch crowd and only two sandwich presses will slow down the process. Will definitely return in the near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

We were really looking forward to our visit to this restaurant. We have sampled Puerto Rican cuisine before and love Cuban cuisine. The prices are great. The food, though, on the night we were there was inconsistent. The mixed rice was dry and had been out too long. The fried pork was somewhat chewy, but otherwise tasted very good. My wife thought the beef was okay, but not great. The plantains and yucca, two sides, were very good. The service was attentive, polite, and very welcoming. This is a great addition to the Brunswick restaurant scene. I hope the consistency of the food improves and steps up to the level of the service. The prices, you must remember, are very reasonable. I'll have to see what lunch is like next.