US$55
US$63
US$61
All reviewsback roadssouthern hospitalityswampgravyfurnishingskey
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Amazing what a small town can do when they set their minds to create something extraordinary.

This old but solid structure on the town square was turned into a lovely and intimate hotel for business travelers and visitors to the local area. Filled with (real) antiques, (even to a very nice machine/hand made quilted bedspread in our room) and with clean, very comfortable and unusually spacious rooms and period decor, it's an utterly unexpected delight. This is NOT, it should be mentioned, a place with a uniformed doorman and impeccable refinement. You'll carry your own bags. There's no gym. There are ragged edges here and there, and it's not cheap to stay there. But it's an incredible effort by the friendly citizens in a proud country town to do something very much out of the ordinary. It beats any Marriott for character, and costs less than most of them.

Excellent country buffet meals are served in the dining room, and a nice balcony with comfortable seating overlooks the town square. (I'd pass on the free "continental breakfast" unless you only seek the minimum.)

There are antique shops, clothing stores, a book store and other retail establishments around the square. Some nice old Southern homes are in the area. Moby Dick's, a very good and very informal seafood restaurant, is just up the road about two miles. Their fried shrimp (large platter) was at least as good (and as fresh) as I've had in any of the many southern coastal port cities I've visited. Others gave very good reviews on their meals, too.

Besides business travelers and those coming for special events like Swamp Gravy, May-Haw, graduation or holidays, a traveler might come with a significant other to just get away from things. It's a wonderful place for any of those purposes. Highly recommended for a very pleasant and most unusual introduction to southwest Georgia.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Ganfo
Reviewed 16 October 2008

This was our second trip to Colquitt for Swamp Gravy. Our first stay at the Tarrer Inn.

They were likely the most accomodating hotel I have ever stayed with. We did not have reservations for dinner, since we had eaten there before and wanted to try a different restaurant. When we arrived at the other restaurant it was closed for a Christmas party. We went back to the Tarrer and ask if they had room. They said give them a few minutes and they would see. When they called back and said come on down, we went out to their patio where they had set up a table with candles. There was no one else outside and we felt like we were on our honeymoon all over again.

We ended up having to leave at midnight because of an severe accident to our son. I called the Inn the next morning and informed them why we left during the night. A few days later we received a card with well wishes for our son and a note saying that we would not be charged for the room, only for the dinner.

Great Southern Hospitality and great entertainment at Swamp Gravy.

If you get the chance take a weekend here!!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank mcw123456
Reviewed 26 October 2005

We have stayed at the Tarrer Inn before and will continue to go back. You must go see the town's production of Swamp Gravy if you ever get the chance. We are going to buy a large group of tickets to give to friends for Christmas for the March/April production.

This stay at the Inn was not as wonderful as our previous stays but we still loved it. The building is beautiful. The grand staircase takes you to the upper level where the majority of the rooms are located. Our room had a musty (closed up) smell. I asked for candle and they gladly provided one along with some air freshener. The room was very clean and is decorated with antiques as are all rooms. We love sitting out on the balcony in the evening. The Inn is on the square of the little town and is very nice.

Any meal you can have at the Inn is wonderful! Be sure to make reservations. I highly recommend all of the food. Try the swamp gravy. I grew up eating it but those who have never had it really like it. You eat it with your cornbread. The breakfast is also great.

One good thing about small towns, husbands (or wives!) can sit in the drawing room and see an SEC game while their spouses shop for antiques just across the street or around the square. We went with friends and they loved it. They had never been but plan on returning with us in the Spring. My friend and I like it because we could shop while our husbands were distracted with the Georgia game!

My father is from Colquitt, so I have a special place in my heart for this community. If you want to see what small town Southern America is, plan on spending a weekend. I think you'll be glad you did!

P.S. Be sure to try the Mayhaw jelly!

• Stayed: October 2005