“Offers Great Theater Experiences”

Springer Opera House
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Springer Opera House is a beautifully restored Edwardian style Opera House that was built in 1871. This National Historic Landmark was named the State Theater of Georgia by Governor Jimmy Carter in 1971. Today it is the region's premeire professional theatre that annually produces 13 shows with talent from Los Angeles to New York. It is the home of Springer Theatricals, the national touring arm of the Springer that performs in cities throughout the United States and Canada. It is also the home of the Springer Theater Academy, an extensive year-round training program for young actors and largest theater academy in the southeast.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 3 October 2017

The Springer is a beautiful old grand building in historic downtown Columbus. They really offer very good shows with excellent talent. Their pre-show dinners are quite good and make going to see a play that much easier and enjoyable. Parking is fairly easy to find close by. Almost all the seats offer good views. The tickets are reasonably priced.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"volunteers"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Love going to the Springer. Always a good show. Not a bad seat in the entire building. Love that you can take a glass of wine into show. Some really good characters.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

I have been to 4 shows now here and I LOVE it. Everyone that works or volunteers there is so friendly. The building is stunning. The shows are fantastic! Probably one of my favorite places in Columbus!

Reviewed 16 November 2016 via mobile

Love it. Magical wonderful actors. A new twist to an age old story. I Will go again. Great customs and set.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 November 2016

I brought my girlfriend to see "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" performed/ shown at the McClure Theatre for her Bachelorette Party Night. We had an absolute BALL! They gave us a bag of fun props to use during the 7:30 pm showing and even had a LIVE Shadow Cast continually acting out characters responses during the entire film.

I was a bit disappointed that the early performance's shadow cast seemed to be comprised of either Columbus State University amateurs or local civic theatrical guild. They were LOTS of fun to watch but VERY green and had to look up at the screen to act and seemed to be stepping OUT of their comfort-zone a lot. But, for my friend who's NEVER been to a live performance they were a simply MAGICAL experience to be had.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful greeting patrons and the place was impeccably clean. This theatre is at the BACK of the Springer building and has been designed for your more intimate play performances. I think it holds maybe a 150 patrons.

Overall, it was a GREAT experience I could give her in a most professional setting. I would recommend going later at night to enjoy this particular Theatrical experience because I do believe there are more seasoned professionals who enact those most beloved characters to be had in this time-honored Halloween traditional show.

Springeropera, Director of Audience Development at Springer Opera House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2016

Hello!

I'm so glad to hear you and your girlfriends enjoyed "Rocky Horror." It's one of my personal favorites and I'm glad that there's obviously an audience for it in Columbus! This was our second time showing the movie, but the first time using a shadow cast and it made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the entire experience. Our Producing Artistic Director, Paul Pierce, attending the midnight showing and was so blown away by the performers and audience reaction that I think we now have him on board to make this our new Halloween tradition. Two things Springer staff always keep in mind in everything we do is improving the quality of our product and improving our patron's experience. I guarantee if we do "Rocky Horror" again, it will be bigger and better!

Thanks so much for your comments. We love hearing from our patrons and hope you come back to see us soon!

Allie Kent